I took my 8830 WE in the hot tub last night with me for about 15 minutes only to realize when I went to text someone, it was in my pocket. I learned a trick from my neighbor a few weeks ago by sticking your phone in a bowl of uncooked rice. Immediately I pulled the battery out without turning on the display and stuck it in a bowl full of rice. I left the phone in there over night and the next morning it worked... somewhat. Everything worked except the Internet. I continued to dry it with a blow dryer for about 5 minutes and everything is back to normal.. Wow did I get lucky!

If you guys manage to do as I did, try the rice trick as soon as you can! Do not get anxious and take it out to check, just leave it in there over night and make sure it's fully covered in rice!
    08-29-08 11:54 AM
    The rice things been around for a while, glad it worked for you, hope it continues to work.
    08-29-08 11:56 AM
    The rice trick is commonly known. And I would not have used a blow dryer. The heat can damage the electronics.
    08-29-08 11:57 AM
    The rice trick is commonly known. And I would not have used a blow dryer. The heat can damage the electronics.
    Sure, if you go overboard with it.
    08-29-08 12:01 PM
    Awesome! Rice is good. Did you manage to cook the rice and eat it afterwards? Lol just kidding.

Great fix, thanks for the tip

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-08 11:20 PM
    I took my 8830 WE in the hot tub last night with me for about 15 minutes only to realize when I went to text someone, it was in my pocket. I learned a trick from my neighbor a few weeks ago by sticking your phone in a bowl of uncooked rice. Immediately I pulled the battery out without turning on the display and stuck it in a bowl full of rice. I left the phone in there over night and the next morning it worked... somewhat. Everything worked except the Internet. I continued to dry it with a blow dryer for about 5 minutes and everything is back to normal.. Wow did I get lucky!

If you guys manage to do as I did, try the rice trick as soon as you can! Do not get anxious and take it out to check, just leave it in there over night and make sure it's fully covered in rice!
    I'm confused. At what point did you put the phone in your pocket; while you were in the hot tub or out?
    I'm thinking that you were in it with your clothes off - at least thats my guess anyway - so where did the pockets come from or did you get in the hot tub fully clothed?

At any rate - why would you have your phone with you in a hot tub? You were asking for trouble!
    08-29-08 11:24 PM
    If you have any handy, fully submerge your device in isopropyl alcohol, as water will have contaminants in it that will deteriorate your circuit board. The isopropyl will make sure everything is clean and being an alcohol, will evaporate much quicker than water.
    08-30-08 03:21 AM
    I'm so afraid of doing that. I can be so careless
    09-01-08 03:10 AM
    Fresh water and salt water are different. My radio shop tells me to keep the device in the water and not remove it at all. Get a container that will hold both the device and water and take it to a radio repair shop. Call your local fire department or law enforcement (NOT 911) to find out where they take their radios for repair. The damage comes from the air after exposure to water. The radio repair shop has a way of switching out the liquid and then drying out the device without doing it much harm. They do it all the time with walkie talkies, pagers, and cell phones.

09-01-08 06:34 AM
    The reality is that, in time, the circuitry in your phone will corrode.
    I would call your carrier and have insurance added while its still working.

09-01-08 08:27 AM
    I'm confused. At what point did you put the phone in your pocket; while you were in the hot tub or out?
    I'm thinking that you were in it with your clothes off - at least thats my guess anyway - so where did the pockets come from or did you get in the hot tub fully clothed?

At any rate - why would you have your phone with you in a hot tub? You were asking for trouble!
    I'm assuming he meant the pocket of his swim trunks.

Glad you were able to dry it out &get it working again!

09-01-08 10:15 AM
    hahaha, i broke my bold the other week by dropping it in a bucket of water. i tried turning it on right away like an ***** and it powered off. I have some left over fried rice from take out the other night, lets give it a try lol.
    01-01-10 08:40 PM
    happy new year bro
    01-01-10 11:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD