Hey CrackBerry Nation,
    i want to write this as the finalization of my inner journey to find the peace and assume my choice of selecting the blackberry playbook in the very month of April 2010.

So when i bought the playbook, i was full of hope, and was amazed that we would eventually do all those beautiful things RIM promised us. So i kept on telling people to wait and see how awesome its going to be. So in my head the day that the playbook would be awesome would come. i kept dreaming of that OS2 Release for ever. Until the Monday, when i heard that the waiting was far from over and i'd have to wait until FEBRUARY (DAMNNN) to have the machina I'm wishing for. So i though to my self WTF (johnny those gente are loca). Seriously, i was feeling that BP was forever doomed.

Until i realize something. Just as the cake, OS2 IS A LIE. OS2 is not the answer. Giving the developers access to NDK and FULL access to API is the way to go. THIS is going to make the PB evolve. ipad and droids tablets are "superiors" by their ecosystem. So giving the power to dev to create awesome stuff will eventually close that gap. So if you want to whine and wait for your native PIM (which incidentally i do not give a shiz) go ahead. But I know that ahead, there is a future : supporting dev and buying apps IS the answer.

I was afraid at first to buy apps. but seriously, i came to realize that my daily coffee would cost more than a game that entertain me for a few hours. end of my 99�
    Last edited by mastajeet; 10-27-11 at 09:13 PM.
    10-27-11 08:54 PM
    Well said sir... Well said.
    10-28-11 12:24 AM
    I was afraid at first to buy apps. but seriously, i came to realize that my daily coffee would cost more than a game that entertain me for a few hours. end of my 99�
    So... let me get this straight, you have seen the light? Your point, as I see it, is this:

Be brave, buy some shoddy cheap games and the Blackberry DS will be the market leader again?

mickrg123 likes this.
    10-28-11 12:50 AM
    Fighting to read an email attachment, or sending one, and when you happen to need it the most, the messaging bridge app starts crashing like a mofo, not even starting up beyond the BB sign, you tend to wonder the people who say no need for native PIM ever even use email for work, or anything at all. Jumping through hoops to send a freakin' web browser link, etc. All of the rest of the bridge apps are disappointingly unreliable. Best thing about bridge is the internet. Other than that it's a temporary solution that is taking way too long.

And a PDF reader thats just as bad, and doesn't support comments reading?

True developers will empower the device and give us the functionality we've been waiting for, but if I'm not wrong, apps made with the OS2 NDK will not work on previous builds, and apps made with previous build NDK will not work on OS2. So either way, we have to wait for OS2.0 to get new "amazing" Cascades powered apps. What the PB should have been on Day 1.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-28-11 01:46 AM
    but if I'm not wrong, apps made with the OS2 NDK will not work on previous builds, and apps made with previous build NDK will not work on OS2. So either way, we have to wait for OS2.0 to get new "amazing" Cascades powered apps. What the PB should have been on Day 1.
    apps made on the NDK 1.0.7 wont work on the OS2 beta
    NDK 2.0 isnt out yet.

bottom line? the OS2 dev beta which has these limitations, isnt designed for consumer use, its designed purely for testing of android runtime apps and AIR 3.0 apps, and of course NDK2 when available.

its entirely possible that the consumer release of OS2 will have the backward compatability for NDK apps, but until it releases, ya cant say it doesnt.

this is also why bridge for OS2 doesnt work, being a dev beta, im sure the bridge part of the PB works fine, its more than likely the app on your phone, which hasnt been updated like it normally is that is the issue, this again is because its a dev build, so no consumer bridge release is needed from that standpoint.

BETA means test, it also means some stuff dont work, be it by design or by flaw.
    ubizmo likes this.
    10-28-11 02:08 AM
    Well said buddy. I saw the PB and wow. I got my friend to buy it. Enjoyed it for a bit then PB OS 2 not coming out made him smack my face via phone call. Ugghhh...... RIM.......

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-11 02:46 AM
    I thought he was going to say he had started drinking...

Actually great idea, thank you... I'm ashamed of myself for putting off buying certain apps because they are not "free"...
    not because of the cost but because of the extra trouble of making the transaction... lazy I admit.

I will do as you suggest -hope others will also.
    Frankly, I think those who put out free apps do other developers a disservice - there should BE no free apps! Whats a measly 99cents compared to the cost of most desktop apps !! Free apps are usually crap anyway... charge something and put some thought into it....

Support the developers and contribute to playbooks future!
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 10-28-11 at 02:57 AM.
    10-28-11 02:50 AM
    I long ago decided to live with adding 3 to 6mths any deadline given by the BB CEOs. If I had not bought my PB i May this yr, I might have gotten an Android 7inch mainly because of skype or tango. But I am quite happy with my BB+PB at the moment. The PB's video resolution and robust CPU for games like deadspace kind of makes up for the lack of skype. (I use IM+talk instead of skype). I can get my kindle on the BB and no Angry birds doesnt bother me.

If the iPad comes in a 7inch size, I think the PB might get run over almost completely (save for its QNX OS which is hard to beat). Now it gets run over but not completely yet.
    10-28-11 02:58 AM
    Man I don't know about all of you, but I love my PlayBook besides the obvious email missing. I liked it the first day I got it when there was no talk of OS2. Lately I've been getting mad just like everyone else, and we have good reason. RIM keeps delaying everything they say. I think I figured it out. The PlayBook was getting really bad reviews from the jump. So RIM said they were gonna release this bangin update with everything under the sun, and yea one day OS2 will come, probably Feb like they said since there finally taking the right steps to get devs on board. But when they first announced it I don't think they had a clue when it would be done but they couldn't say that or nobody else would buy it. So they announced it early so people would get excited all over again and start buying them again. Think what would have happened if they didn't announce when they did, it would probably be DOA like the touchpad. So I or we might not like all this waiting and waiting, but RIM was smart this time for announcing it when they did. Like I said before I love my PlayBook! I've never had a problem with the bridge not working like others have said. I basically use it everyday. Hopefully we get this 2.0 update inb Feb and its not delayed again, and when we do ill like my PlayBook that much more. PS hope this made some sense its late az **** and I'm pretty tired.

10-28-11 05:17 AM
    I thought he was going to say he had started drinking...

Actually great idea, thank you... I'm ashamed of myself for putting off buying certain apps because they are not "free"...
    not because of the cost but because of the extra trouble of making the transaction... lazy I admit.

I will do as you suggest -hope others will also.
    Frankly, I think those who put out free apps do other developers a disservice - there should BE no free apps! Whats a measly 99cents compared to the cost of most desktop apps !! Free apps are usually crap anyway... charge something and put some thought into it....

there should be no free apps? you have no idea what the **** you are talking about. look, just leave. pb sales are bad enough we don't need you to continue making it worse.
    FF22 and BSFA2008 like this.
    10-28-11 05:36 AM
    Hey CrackBerry Nation,
    i want to write this as the finalization of my inner journey to find the peace and assume my choice of selecting the blackberry playbook in the very month of April 2010.

So when i bought the playbook, i was full of hope, and was amazed that we would eventually do all those beautiful things RIM promised us. So i kept on telling people to wait and see how awesome its going to be. So in my head the day that the playbook would be awesome would come. i kept dreaming of that OS2 Release for ever. Until the Monday, when i heard that the waiting was far from over and i'd have to wait until FEBRUARY (DAMNNN) to have the machina I'm wishing for. So i though to my self WTF (johnny those gente are loca). Seriously, i was feeling that BP was forever doomed.

Until i realize something. Just as the cake, OS2 IS A LIE. OS2 is not the answer. Giving the developers access to NDK and FULL access to API is the way to go. THIS is going to make the PB evolve. ipad and droids tablets are "superiors" by their ecosystem. So giving the power to dev to create awesome stuff will eventually close that gap. So if you want to whine and wait for your native PIM (which incidentally i do not give a shiz) go ahead. But I know that ahead, there is a future : supporting dev and buying apps IS the answer.

I think your problem here is buying your PlayBook in 2010 instead of 2011 when the real one came out.

10-28-11 06:16 AM
    I think your problem here is buying your PlayBook in 2010 instead of 2011 when the real one came out.

I've told you all before, OS 3.0 has a time travel app so he did buy it in 2010
    (still doesn't do email though)
    FF22 likes this.
    10-28-11 06:58 AM
    I downloaded the 2.0 beta and I'm not a developer. I do miss having bridge working but the new form factor is sweet. For some reason there is no android launcher with it. So do to my curiosity I currently have a pretty format web browser. By all means not complaining. It did help bridge the gap between now and Feb
    10-28-11 07:10 AM

there should be no free apps? you have no idea what the **** you are talking about. look, just leave. pb sales are bad enough we don't need you to continue making it worse.
    First, blackjack does know what he's talking about.

Developers need to get paid like everyone else. I don't really know where this notion of apps should be free ever came from anyway. It's ridiculous. And you are aware that we (developers) don't get the full amount when you pay for an app, just a percentage.

So pull that wrinkled dollar bill out of your pocket, and support a developer by buying an app. The more money a developer makes the more apps he/she will crank out. It's at that point you'll start to see more free apps. So you are really doing yourself and others a disservice by not purchasing apps.
    10-28-11 08:52 AM
    Don't be so hard on BJ - he means well. I invite him to reconsider his objections to free apps. He said it was because devs are lazy and do not put enough thought into their apps. I hope he can put a little more thought into his own public offerings. So many of his posts start off with excellent ideas and then descend into what could be considered pure crap. Come on BJ, can you think of two valid reasons why I might not want to charge for one of my apps.
    10-28-11 09:09 AM
    Come on BJ, can you think of two valid reasons why I might not want to charge for one of my apps.
    Wait, what??

blackjack is saying there should be no free apps. Why would he give you reasons not to charge for your apps?

So is your question to him why he thinks you should have free apps?

My question to you is, why would you have free apps? My apps aren't free because I'm a professional developer. I do this for a living, not a hobby. Clients come to me wanting a software solution, and I provide it, for a fee.
    10-28-11 09:26 AM
    First, blackjack does know what he's talking about.

Developers need to get paid like everyone else. I don't really know where this notion of apps should be free ever came from anyway. It's ridiculous. And you are aware that we (developers) don't get the full amount when you pay for an app, just a percentage.

So pull that wrinkled dollar bill out of your pocket, and support a developer by buying an app. The more money a developer makes the more apps he/she will crank out. It's at that point you'll start to see more free apps. So you are really doing yourself and others a disservice by not purchasing apps.
    I hope that you are not asking consumers to buy apps because we developers need to earn a living. Frankly, given the PB's current popularity, a developer who thinks that they can get a reasonable ROI in this market is not thinking straight. In my mind it is up to both RIM and developers to improve the situation. And, while it could be argued that RIM does not provide us with enough support, I would never presume that the consumer should be asked to fill the void.

There are several legitimate reasons why I might not charge for one of my apps. But there is only one reason why a consumer should download it - he or she must find value in the work that I have done.
    BSFA2008 likes this.
    10-28-11 09:27 AM
    I hope that you are not asking consumers to buy apps because we developers need to earn a living. Frankly, given the PB's current popularity, a developer who thinks that they can get a reasonable ROI in this market is not thinking straight. In my mind it is up to both RIM and developers to improve the situation. And, while it could be argued that RIM does not provide us with enough support, I would never presume that the consumer should be asked to fill the void.

There are several legitimate reasons why I might not charge for one of my apps. But there is only one reason why a consumer should download it - he or she must find value in the work that I have done.
    Now that's well said (the bolded part)!

But to your other point, even the best PB app out there isn't going to make a developer rich because there just aren't enough PB's in the hands of consumers. But I'd call it a hobby if you are just writing some apps for fun for the PB. And it that case they might as well be free.
    Last edited by NickA44; 10-28-11 at 09:32 AM.
    BSFA2008 likes this.
    10-28-11 09:28 AM
    Wait, what??

blackjack is saying there should be no free apps. Why would he give you reasons not to charge for your apps?

So is your question to him why he thinks you should have free apps?

My question to you is, why would you have free apps? My apps aren't free because I'm a professional developer. I do this for a living, not a hobby. Clients come to me wanting a software solution, and I provide it, for a fee.
    Sorry, but I do not agree with BJ's assessment that devs offer free apps only because their apps are crap and that they are too lazy to improve their products.
    10-28-11 09:35 AM
    Now that's well said (the bolded part)!

But to your other point, even the best PB app out there isn't going to make a developer rich because there just aren't enough PB's in the hands of consumers. But I'd call it a hobby if you are just writing some apps for fun for the PB. And it that case they might as well be free.
    Whose responsibility is it to increase the number of PBs in users hands? I contend that in a market that is truly competitive, this is up to the developer. Right now though the ball is firmly in RIM's court. It is not appropriate to mention free apps in this context at all. And it is never appropriate to ask consumers to compromise.
    BSFA2008 likes this.
    10-28-11 09:42 AM
    Sorry, but I do not agree with BJ's assessment that devs offer free apps only because their apps are crap and that they are too lazy to improve their products.
    Maybe it's not because they are lazy, but they can't afford to improve their apps because they don't charge for them. And free apps are usually ad support anyway.

I think you really said it best when you said "he or she must find value in the work that I have done." And I think they only way to find that value is a well written and useful app.
    10-28-11 09:44 AM
    Whose responsibility is it to increase the number of PBs in users hands? I contend that in a market that is truly competitive, this is up to the developer. Right now though the ball is firmly in RIM's court. It is not appropriate to mention free apps in this context at all. And it is never appropriate to ask consumers to compromise.
    It's the "chicken before the egg" thing. Why should I write PB apps when there are so little PB's out there. Well, maybe if I wrote more apps people would buy more PB's.

Either way, I'm moving towards HTML5 apps so I can be cross platform. Managing apps for multiple platforms (and multiple versions in those platforms) is getting to be a pain.
    10-28-11 09:46 AM
    I been using Android for a while now. I have never bought any apps as their are a bunch of free ones to use. I have always thought that most of the free Android apps are not great apps. Which that is an obvious statement.

Now I own a Playbook and bought a BB phone. I agree on not having free apps. I mean yes free apps are nice, but I don't want shi**y free apps any more. I want quality apps for a quality device. When you get down to business what is $.99 for that great file explorer I bought for my PB? How about $6.99 for Life and Sims for my GF? That is nothing more than the price of a beer at a bar or a hamburger.
    We need to help the life of the Playbook, its very important for us to buy these apps so developers know their is a profitable market. Using and always sticking to free apps does nothing to help the platform grow. Most people have jobs, spending $20 or $30 a month on apps or games is nothing.

The way I see it is if you buy a quality app or game, you are only helping the developer develop another quality product. So people quit being cheap and go spend a few bucks in the APP World!
    lwaysluking likes this.
    10-28-11 09:59 AM
    I been using Android for a while now. I have never bought any apps as their are a bunch of free ones to use. I have always thought that most of the free Android apps are not great apps. Which that is an obvious statement.

Now I own a Playbook and bought a BB phone. I agree on not having free apps. I mean yes free apps are nice, but I don't want shi**y free apps any more. I want quality apps for a quality device. When you get down to business what is $.99 for that great file explorer I bought for my PB? How about $6.99 for Life and Sims for my GF? That is nothing more than the price of a beer at a bar or a hamburger.
    We need to help the life of the Playbook, its very important for us to buy these apps so developers know their is a profitable market. Using and always sticking to free apps does nothing to help the platform grow. Most people have jobs, spending $20 or $30 a month on apps or games is nothing.

The way I see it is if you buy a quality app or game, you are only helping the developer develop another quality product. So people quit being cheap and go spend a few bucks in the APP World!
    Good points. And what I bolded says it all. That made me think of all the .99 apps I've purchased over the years that I still use today, mostly everyday. And how many free updates I've received from that .99. And from that .99, the developer got .70, that's it.
    lwaysluking likes this.
    10-28-11 10:10 AM
    Here's how I handled my frustration:

I sold my 32gb Playbook to Amazon for $299.50. When 2.0 comes out and if people like it and stop complaining, I will buy another, probably for $299.50.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh 4 months of not trying to make a half-baked tablet do what it can't.

Priceless!

P.S. Typing this on a Sony S. Sony got it way right.
    FF22 and BSFA2008 like this.
    10-28-11 10:17 AM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD