Do you guys think they are having this launch in Feb to also come out with a new Playbook?
    10-26-11 08:19 AM
    Do you guys think they are having this launch in Feb to also come out with a new Playbook?
    No. I don't. Most likely, RIM won't be producing any more units than they have already created. It hasn't been selling except when deeply discounted, where they lose money. Even RIM isn't stupid enough to make more products to lose more money.
    10-26-11 08:21 AM
    rim might even launch another iterations of BBOS7 phones before BBX phone launch, just to keep the pot warm and stirred. another tablet with same os means suicide.
    we will see how the market see playbook /BBX delay.
    the market will not see playbook, but will see delayed BBX phones with february 2.0 launch.
    10-26-11 08:38 AM
    Even RIM isn't stupid enough to make more products to lose more money.
    Are you sure about that....?
    It might be the case that you simply cannot tell 'level of stupidity' that they are capable of.
    10-26-11 08:44 AM
    Reading about the size that Androids takes in memory in the beta, they may have no choice but to actually create a PBII physically. But as mentioned, with the lackluster sales, I don't see if happening.
    10-26-11 03:16 PM
    No. I don't. Most likely, RIM won't be producing any more units than they have already created. It hasn't been selling except when deeply discounted, where they lose money. Even RIM isn't stupid enough to make more products to lose more money.
    RIM confirmed the 4G models to be launced by the end of this year, which will probably be postponed until February 2012.
    10-26-11 03:42 PM
    New hardware to do what exactly?

Dev tools to utilize new hardware don't exist (1.0 NDK isn't even final), which means apps that require new hardware don't exist. OS2 is already known to work on 1st gen PB hardware, so new hardware isn't required for the OS.

So.... 3g/4g versions are just an actual launch of the same hardware with the correct radios that was known to exist a long time ago. They just delayed something else yet again...
    10-26-11 03:44 PM
    I think they are holding things back to February to kill off the Playbook without coming out and saying they are killing off the Playbook. They probably cleared out a lot of the stock with the $200 off sale, has told Quanta they won't be buying amymore, and they'll give us 2.0 and that will be it. BBX phones will come out over the summer and the Playbook will be a distant bad memory for RIM. The Playbook is a failed product that hasn't captured consumer, corporate, or government sales.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-26-11 04:26 PM
    My two cents on the OP's question: February will come and go with nary a response from RIM outside of its "coming soon" mantra. In March, we will receive a message to indicate that its coming soon in summer. And then in August, a quiet announcement by way of twitter or their website will come out to say that the Playbook has been discontinued.

Pessimistic? Perhaps. Realistic? Defiantly.

I hope to whatever higher power that exists, that I am wrong. I very much want RIM to succeed and the Playbook to succeed. But at this point, I am highly skeptical of either of these occurring. The best advice at this point is to not expect anything from RIM when it comes to the Playbook.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-26-11 04:59 PM
    NO. I don't believe they would even be so stupid to delay the OS for that reason.
    10-26-11 06:07 PM
    I don't think they will release another playbook, 4G or otherwise. The brand name is ruined. I don't think they will release 2.0 till BBX phone is ready for debut as the OS on both will be the same, and they will not want to tip their hand. They might release it a couple weeks before BBX to build up hype over the OS and then bring forward their hardware for the phone at an official event to launch the phone. But if they try the tablet market again, they would need to find a new name, and new marketing.
    Last edited by Huot; 10-26-11 at 06:14 PM.
    10-26-11 06:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD