View Poll Results: Would you still recommend a Playbook to your family or friends?

Voters
318. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

148 46.54%
  • NO

170 53.46%
    Given what we now know about the 2.0 version of the Playbook, would you still recommend a Playbook to a family member or friend?

I wouldn't. Not now.
    10-26-11 06:19 AM
    Given what we now know about the 2.0 version of the Playbook, would you still recommend a Playbook to a family member or friend?

I wouldn't. Not now.
    Maybe but only if they have a Blackberry and the PB was on a really good sale. Also if they are not big app users.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-26-11 07:04 AM

I wouldn't. Not now.
    Heres the thing, everyone complains when RIM doesn't release something soon enough, then when RIM releases something to apease they complain and say they should've waited. Can't have it both ways, especially with a whole new different kind of os. I say I'd rather wait till feb for a fuly done os 2.0 than a half baked rushed one just to satisfy impatient people.

I can still use it and enjoy it. yes the updates would be much better, but all in all can wait. It's the way technology works, especially pioneering kind.
    10-26-11 07:06 AM
    Depends if they have a BB, and what they want to do with it. If they have an older BB and would really want a larger screen for multimedia and browsing, then I'd recommend it as an extension of their phone.

Otherwise, I wouldn't. There is still the possibility that my PB might just turn out to be a very expensive paperweight. Since most of them don't have BB but my sister does, I wouldn't recommend it, and would share my PB if she needs it.

I can wait, but will RIM leave the 16GB behind?
    10-26-11 07:07 AM
    Maybe but only if they have a Blackberry and the PB was on a really good sale. Also if they are not big app users.

Everyday new apps are being added, and quite honestly done better than some iPad ones, i.e. all the gameloft games. try playing nova 2 on an iPad. that argument is slowly starting to lose weight.
    III 4U2NV III likes this.
    10-26-11 07:09 AM
    I don't use enterprise, so the native email feature isn't huge for me. Plus I know how to spell so I don't need spell check

And I have great games on it, like Dead Space, Samurai 2, Spider-Man, Let's Golf and 2011 Soccer.

Call me stubborn, but I refuse to admit defeat! Roll with the punches, people. Stop complaining!
    10-26-11 07:15 AM
    The Playbook does have great hardware specs, and while QNX does look quite promising, the fact is consumers LOVE apps. and they want at least some basics (PIM).

So no, I won't recommend the Playbook. In fact, I'll tell them to avoid it.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-26-11 07:24 AM
    I would only recommend it for someone with a blackberry phone or who plans to get a blackberry phone. But I am planning on getting tablet for my daughter for Christmas, I just don't know yet if it will be a playbook. She doesn't have a smartphone so that's not the issue. It's going to come down to price and what would be more useful to her to use for college.
    10-26-11 07:24 AM
    Despite the power of the hardware, the (slowly) growing list of productivity apps, and the usefulness of the Bridge for existing BlackBerry users, I am not sure how commited RIM really is to the PlayBook. Sales are dismal, they absolutely need a BBX phone to remain relevant, and they still have the enterprise customer base to support. RIM is a good electronics company, but has a poor track record on the software side. i don't believe they have a sufficiently large and mature development team capable of meeting all of their short term strategic goals, and PlayBook development could easily be bumped down in priority to meet the more mission critical goals.

I would hate to lock a friend or colleague into this current device only to see it discontinued for all intents and purposes,
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    10-26-11 07:33 AM
    I don't get it why some people think a blackberry phone is a must have if you want to buy a PB. It really depends what u are going to use PB for? If you buy a tablet just for web browsing, reading books, watch Youtube, play some games. PB is one of the best choices. I know lots of people who don't chat and use email often.
    Last edited by maoz1117; 10-26-11 at 07:44 AM.
    UltraBlackBerry likes this.
    10-26-11 07:42 AM
    with no access to my webmail account (cpanel bug) , on which all my email are, I definetly WILL NOT recommend the playbook until the OS2 is released, right after, we'll see.

Thank god of ouananiche, I bought a touchpad at 99$ and it is perfect for email account
    10-26-11 07:52 AM
    Its funny that more than half of the members in a crack'berry' forum will not recommend it.
    Good luck RIM...
    10-26-11 07:53 AM
    Guess what, Playbook on my desk and just advised fellow employee to rather go for iPad.....
    sopon.r likes this.
    10-26-11 08:09 AM
    April 19th, 2011 buyer here. Happily bought my 64gb. Was so excited about it. Sung its praises to all of my colleagues (large hospital system). Eager to use for clinical medicine, web browsing, apps, and really to function as a laptop replacement. 7" size fits nicely in a labcoat pocket!!

Skip ahead 6months. Doesnt do most of what was promised. Doesnt have half the functionality of the phone that is far older, slower and smaller. Cannot connect to key systems (blame Citrix). Basically was a 700.00 web browser. The 99.00 touchpad would function as nicely in a browser capacity. a Kindle fire has me KICKING myself now. Yes the PB specs are better. For what? Playing games? Video chat with the tiny pool of ?200k other PB users, none of whom I know personally (because they wisely went with other tablets).

Cannot state clearly enough that RIM management is terrible. Get native email out. Get spell check out. Who cares what you call it - call it OS 1.99999999. I know there is some debate about android player, but ya know what - if thats what they're gonna do, they have to get it out there. If some apps dont work - no worries - fix it in an update. We knew/know what we are getting - I understand that.

This "wait" til we have an ecosystem is a horrible plan - designed by someone who has little foresight into business. For a major hospital system such as mine to eagerly adopt the PB - they have to find it useful. They care not about a "shelf space" in app world. They make decisions based on end users - and the end users (me and a small handful of others) ALL have gone from enthused to overwhelmingly frustrated. Not a one of us is happy with the device. Does that bode well for enterprise adoption? Hardly.

The commenter on the main thread who posted about the car analogy was particularly apt. Can you imagine if any other tech company announced something, put out a product then waited 10months to update it?

Absolutely would not recommend. And frustrated with what to do with mine.
    FF22, sopon.r and anon(4021844) like this.
    10-26-11 08:18 AM
    Knowing what else is out there, the Playbook is a joke - at best. It had a terrible launch and has had no real updates (it's the same crap that came out on day 1... look at how the others are developing nicely). I would never ever recommend a Playbook to anyone and I think that people need to be cautious of who they take advice from seeing as that 35% of the people who answered this survey would recommend such trash.
    Bye Berry likes this.
    10-26-11 08:30 AM
    I plan on getting one for my dad. He prob doesn't care for PIM and most likely will only use it for browsing and maybe some games. He can also use it to do videochat with my sister who works out of town.

For those purposes, I think the playbook will be great. Not much diff than any other tablet but since he's got a BB, he can use bridge and save the extra data costs.

10-26-11 08:36 AM
    just looked at my playbook and guess what it is still the same as yesterday, so yes of course i still recommend it......what is wrong with all the naysayers?
    10-26-11 08:39 AM
    OK, I agree with Rim made people who spent around 600$ on playbook very angry, but can anyone recommend a 299$ tablet which is better than playbook?
    Last edited by maoz1117; 10-26-11 at 08:47 AM.
    10-26-11 08:42 AM
    i would like to but it will take longer to explain the shortcomings (than promoting the benefit and advantages). people use tablets for fun, and fun is applications (from reading to games to news etc). so, no.
    value for money, galaxy tab or ipad still the best of tablet experience, no doubt. there's always and app and a game for everyone.
    for pb size, there will be kindle fire, and lots of +200$ android tablet (acer etc), nook, and so forth.
    i would certainly recommend a 3G playbook, if it exists.
    10-26-11 08:46 AM
    I bought mine on launch day, and returned it within the 14 day window (BestBuy).

I wouldn't have recommended it then, and I certainly would not recommend it now.

JBenn911 likes this.
    10-26-11 08:46 AM
    I used to recommend. Not anymore.
    10-26-11 09:02 AM
    It hurt me to say no. But I did. My PB is still my fav tablet on the market. But I'd be hesitant to recommend it to my F&F. I'd let people play with mine and make their own opinion and let them know that I love mine and what it might be able to do down the road. But I wouldn't tell them to go out and buy one without comparing them to other tablets...

Later,
    B.
    10-26-11 09:06 AM
    I am kind of in the situation where I need to get a bday gift and she wants a tablet. She does not have a bb but is possible that she will get one in the future. She played with my PB and enjoyed it mostly to read documents off it or take notes. Which the pB works perfect. Because of the lack of other things this pb does not have yet I am not sure I want to get it for her but if i can find one for the same price 299 I will jump on it.

So my answer I recommend and do not recommend and I highly recommend if they have a bb. Not sure if that answered helped lolz
    10-26-11 09:16 AM
    I would recommend a PlayBook to anyone but not without a proper explanation.
    bbeezy likes this.
    10-26-11 09:18 AM
    No. I almost bought a PlayBook last week. I'm glad I didn't. I'll get something else in the meantime, and keep an eye on it. Maybe check it out when it's updated or finished.
    10-26-11 09:22 AM
126 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD