Look at the HP TouchPad fire sale. People where snapping up the EOL device like crazy.

Next the Playbook, RIM cuts $200 off the price and (although we don't have the numbers yet) probably sold a TON! I picked one up myself.

Now you have iPhone 4S - $649USD, Motorola Razr -rumored at $649USD and the Galaxy Nexus - it will most like fall in line at $649USD or higher. Pre-orders on some sites are as high as $800

It's seems we're not just deciding between smartphone A or smartphone B anymore. Now it's smartphone vs new computer, new TV, part of your vacation, mortgage payment... the list goes on.

I think if RIM worked with carriers to cut $75-85 off the OS7 smartphone's they'd win over quite a few new and returning customers. It's not so drastic that it cheapens the brand, but it still provides a very nice savings for potential customers.
    10-25-11 05:15 PM
    A temporary price drop would definitely stimulate sales.

Whatever it takes to get more BB's in the hands of new users is good. The key, however, is making sure the device delivers the goods when people actually buy it.

There's a difference between getting a great deal on a great phone that people love and getting a mediocre device at a cheap price that fills a "price point".

That being said, if the Bold 9900 and 9930 would sell for $100-$150 with a new contract, THAT would be an AWESOME deal.
    10-25-11 05:28 PM
    200 would have won be over, but the carrier gad it for 300 and no BB is worth that much. Now, its too late...

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express
    10-25-11 05:31 PM

If you know anything about economics.

Yes. Always. Easy.
    10-25-11 05:32 PM
    A lower price and better marketing to let people know that BB has changed and upgraded.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-25-11 09:08 PM
    I think it would. Blackberry should concentrate on making entry level smartphones until they get their act together. No way a 9930 should cost more than an iPhone 4s. Id go into detail but I'm hella tired G

Posted from my Android Powered Smartphone Running Gingerbread 2.3.3 at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-26-11 12:24 AM
    I think it would. Blackberry should concentrate on making entry level smartphones until they get their act together. No way a 9930 should cost more than an iPhone 4s. Id go into detail but I'm hella tired G

Posted from my Android Powered Smartphone Running Gingerbread 2.3.3 at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I completely agree. I have a 9650 and want the 9930 from verizon soo bad but looking at the price just keeps me from buying it. Im trying to stay loyal to BB, even with all the work that needs to be done to the OSs, but like you said, theres no way a 9930 should cost more than an iPhone
    10-26-11 01:10 AM
    Even if they were free, you couldn't get me interested in BB again. I'm sure the countless that migrated away from BB feel exactly the same. Going back to BB is like going to the desert after living in an Oasis. BTW Even after the price drop i doubt anyone was interested in a PB.
    That's for you but you can't speak for everyone else.
    10-26-11 08:39 AM
    IMO it depends.

Verizon has the re-re-release of the Curve free with a data plan for BBM only. They can't give those phones away. You can't get much cheaper than free to give a phone away.

I think if RIM drops the prices, it won't be much help. Say the price of the 9850 drops to $99. For an additional $100, you can get a brand new iPhone4s and all the bells and whistles that go along with it. Apps galore, support, the need to NOT buy a new handset every time a new OS comes out and lots more.

I think they'd need to do a lot more than just drop the prices. They need to quit competing with phones from 2003.
    10-26-11 09:14 AM
    You all are forgetting one thing people snatched up the HP as android is close to being ported to it. PB not so much......
    10-26-11 02:00 PM
    If the PlayBook were $100 like the TouchPad was, I'd buy it.
    10-26-11 02:03 PM
    Have you seen the price of the 64gb iPhone???? It's not about price, it's about the device. Apple sells 4 million iPhones in the 4th quarter, I cannot imagine RIM sold that many total of all models in any quarter. Nothing smells more of desperation that continually dropping prices. Either the product is worth the price, or it's not. The PB sold at $299 because that is what the market deems it's worth. Apple would probably pull the product before going down that road. Talk about flogging a dead horse. There comes a day in many technology (and other businesses) when the writing is just simply on the wall. RIM is clearly not to big to fail, there are dozens of alternatives, and if they keep releasing more of the same (yes, model after model for different providers that are mostly the same), they will be gone. Apple has 4-5 providers, one 4s (just different memory amounts). Simple, simple, simple.

Look at the HP TouchPad fire sale. People where snapping up the EOL device like crazy.

Next the Playbook, RIM cuts $200 off the price and (although we don't have the numbers yet) probably sold a TON! I picked one up myself.

Now you have iPhone 4S - $649USD, Motorola Razr -rumored at $649USD and the Galaxy Nexus - it will most like fall in line at $649USD or higher. Pre-orders on some sites are as high as $800

It's seems we're not just deciding between smartphone A or smartphone B anymore. Now it's smartphone vs new computer, new TV, part of your vacation, mortgage payment... the list goes on.

I think if RIM worked with carriers to cut $75-85 off the OS7 smartphone's they'd win over quite a few new and returning customers. It's not so drastic that it cheapens the brand, but it still provides a very nice savings for potential customers.
    10-26-11 02:56 PM
    If the PlayBook were $100 like the TouchPad was, I'd buy it.
    Ditto. I would get one quickly.
    10-26-11 03:05 PM
    You all are forgetting one thing people snatched up the HP as android is close to being ported to it. PB not so much......
    CyanogenMod (the ones working on porting it) only looked at the TouchPad after the fire sale...
    10-26-11 03:27 PM
    Have you seen the price of the 64gb iPhone???? It's not about price, it's about the device. Apple sells 4 million iPhones in the 4th quarter, I cannot imagine RIM sold that many total of all models in any quarter. Nothing smells more of desperation that continually dropping prices. Either the product is worth the price, or it's not. The PB sold at $299 because that is what the market deems it's worth. Apple would probably pull the product before going down that road. Talk about flogging a dead horse. There comes a day in many technology (and other businesses) when the writing is just simply on the wall. RIM is clearly not to big to fail, there are dozens of alternatives, and if they keep releasing more of the same (yes, model after model for different providers that are mostly the same), they will be gone. Apple has 4-5 providers, one 4s (just different memory amounts). Simple, simple, simple.

Apple sold 17 million iphones last quarter. They sold 4 million 4s on the first weekend. They are projecting to sell over 40 million 4s, 4, and 3GS this quarter.

BTW Im not trying to be a smart alec, just noticed the error.
    10-26-11 04:24 PM
    Even if they were free, you couldn't get me interested in BB again. I'm sure the countless that migrated away from BB feel exactly the same. Going back to BB is like going to the desert after living in an Oasis. BTW Even after the price drop i doubt anyone was interested in a PB.
    People want things to be current technology and to work instantly.

I'm on my second Android, never even gave bb a thought when it was upgrade time.
    10-26-11 11:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD