So if you haven't seen it yet, I posted up my possibly longest blog post of all time:

My BlackBerry Bolds Browsers Are Buggered. Yours Too? | CrackBerry.com

also known as... I Tried To Do a Comprehensive BlackBerry Bold vs. iPhone 3G Web Browser Download Speed Test, but After Four Days Of Trying I'm Still Trying.

Now I know there's newer versions of 4.6 already floating around for the Bold, but the fact I bought this phone less than a week ago and am having these glitches kind of bothers me. Plus I wanted to carry out a fair comparison for browser tests - over the counter devices bought from same carrier, on home network, with carrier-issued OSs. I'm not sure what's behind my WiFi browser issues (these seem to be more of a one off, but two off since it's happening on two devices), but the issues the browser is having when Javascript is enabled over 3G seem much more widespread.

So use this thread to post your Browser Speeds and Issues. For speeds tests, check out the post above, but essentially I want to get a grasp over these four conditions:

- Over 3G, Internet Browser - Javascript Off
    - Over 3G, Internet Browser - Javascript On
    - Over WiFi, HotSpot Browser - Javascript Off
    - Over WiFi, HotSpot Browser - Javascript On

Be sure to set your Browser Identification to Internet Explorer. Also make note of your signal strength.
    For 3G signal, hit Alt + NMLL on the keyboard (around -70 seems good)
    For WiFi, go to Options > WiFi Connections and hit Menu key > Network Details (around -35 to -45 is ideal).

My process was to clear the cache, pick on of the "browsing states" listed above, then try and go through the eight sites in sequence. Then clear cache, change settings, and do it again.

Here's an example of the sites i visited and times I got. Hopefully your browser will be FAR less buggy, your JS support will work, and your WiFi HotSpot Browser will work flawlessly:

I really just want to see the Bold work to its full potential. I know this device has awesomeness in it, but I'm just not seeing it right now as it should be working!
    08-28-08 11:19 PM
    I'm in the process of testing .134. I'll test these conditions and report back.
    08-29-08 12:17 AM
    Kevin, I wouldnt be too worried...this is probly one of the obvious reasons why AT&T isnt ready to release the Bold yet. IM just shocked that RIM would even release the Bold in its condition. Im sure with the software updates to come in the future, the Bold will redeem itself and carry on its place as the flagship in the Blackberry lineup. I am desperately waiting on AT&T to release the Bold, and be sure that I will be one of the first in line to get it when its released. I will be sure to test out the browser speeds when its in my hands so you have some more comparisons. Do you think that this will holdback the release even further to the US market Kevin? I have much sympathy for you, but at the same time, even with a half working device err devices, I envy you Hey, what do you think of the Gizmodo release dates that they have up on the site for AT&T...they are banking on sept 12 I believe...you think thats far fetched being that new OS testing will be done and completed by the 9th? I am pretty doubtful that it will be out by then but I can only keep my fingers crossed for the time being
    08-29-08 12:47 AM
    I've been cursed with Bold release dates... so I've given up thinking on them until I get the official word. Sept 12th would be sweet though.

I love everything else about the Bold, but this issue is really driving me nuts. I'm not too worried about the 3G javascript issue..I'm not sure RIM will get that nailed down, and I think that's effecting everyone. One day it will get fixed (maybe). What has me more worried is the WiFi thing. I hope it's software code that can be fixed by RIM, but if it's truly "hardware" related, which is what tech support initially told me it is, then I need to know so I can take back the device if necessary.

I doubt it's hardware releated, but I can't really start USING my Bold till I actually know which device I'm going to keep using. I hate messaging all my BBM contacts to update my PIN. So if I know I'm keeping the device, then I dont mind some issues. But if I don't know whether I'm keeping it or not then I'm sticking with the Curve for now. Booouurrrns.
    08-29-08 12:57 AM
    I've found browsing slow and pretty much pointless. Don't get me wrong, I love this device and it's a major upgrade from 7250 I used to have.

Connected to 6mbit WIFI, rendering simple page like CBC News without javascript enabled takes about 1.5 - 2 minutes. Switching to Opera mini didn't affect performance at all, which leads me to believe it's hardware. In the GTA, 3G seems pretty stable, but moving further west towards Hamilton, I've noticed it switching to EDGE most of the time.

Last complaint about the browser... The Rogers Do More button has been generating 500 errors since I got the bold on the 22nd.
    08-29-08 07:05 AM
    Using Wi-Fi and the internet browser (not HotSpot) connected to my home network, I'm getting fast connectivity.
    08-29-08 07:35 AM
    With -32 dBm Wi-Fi signal strength, Java off, boygeniusreport.com took under 10 seconds to fully load.
    08-29-08 07:43 AM
    NICE! .134 is a success! What about the 3G speeds?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-08 07:53 AM
    With -32 dBm Wi-Fi signal strength, Java off, boygeniusreport.com took under 10 seconds to fully load.
    and this is with .134? with which carrier again?

is it possible for other carriers to use that software on their handsets?

thanks!

<FIRST POST!! i've lurking for faaarrrr too long!>
    08-29-08 07:53 AM

thanks!

.134 beta and rumoured to be the shipping version for AT&T. I'd test 3G however do not have that network available at my home.
    08-29-08 07:58 AM

thanks!

It indicates in your signature that your current device is the 8100. All OS are device specific.
    08-29-08 07:59 AM

thanks!

That's AT&T test OS for their field testers if all goes well and it sounds like it is it will be released in the near future. I think they make some tweaks to it tho expect a .14X release to the public when its made available to all carriers.

08-29-08 08:01 AM
    Engadget.com over Wi-Fi, with JavaScript on took no more than 2 seconds to fully load.
    08-29-08 08:03 AM
    WSJ.com over Wi-Fi, with JavaScript on took ~10 secs. to fully load.
    08-29-08 08:05 AM
    Could you do the same tests Using OperaMini please, I just compared it using WiFi, and OperaMini loads pages just as fast as Safari using the Itouch.

I think this issue is just like Crapsoft's IE and Firefox we all know wichone is better
    08-29-08 08:08 AM
    I'm actually really liking the device browser and at this point don't feel the need to install Opera. As the saying goes, why fix something that isn't broken.
    08-29-08 08:14 AM
    How can the browser be set to use wifi when wifi available and use 3G when wifi not available - like the iphone 3G?
    08-29-08 08:17 AM
    Using Wi-Fi and the internet browser (not HotSpot) connected to my home network, I'm getting fast connectivity.
    How do you switch between the Internet Browse and the HotSpot Browser?
    08-29-08 08:22 AM
    Sanein, what about the 3G though what are your impressions on that?

08-29-08 08:24 AM
    Could you do the same tests Using OperaMini please, I just compared it using WiFi, and OperaMini loads pages just as fast as Safari using the Itouch.

I think this issue is just like Crapsoft's IE and Firefox we all know wichone is better
    I'm actually really liking the device browser and at this point don't feel the need to install Opera. As the saying goes, why fix something that isn't broken.
    Not saying that BB Browser is broken just that I find OperaMini better @ loading the pages
    08-29-08 08:29 AM
    Not saying that BB Browser is broken just that I find OperaMini better @ loading the pages
    Good to know! I might just give it a peek at some point.
    08-29-08 08:35 AM
    Sanein, what about the 3G though what are your impressions on that?

I don't have 3G connection at my home, however, when I was at work last night 3G was nice and zippy. Didn't take note of any speed/loading results as I technically shouldn't have been playing with my new toy.
    08-29-08 08:37 AM
    I don't have 3G connection at my home, however, when I was at work last night 3G was nice and zippy. Didn't take note of any speed/loading results as I technically shouldn't have been playing with my new toy.
    That's good to hear that we have an OS on the way with working internet. Now the focus can shift to memory leaks and battery life.

You aren't allowed to test the 3G speed? Or you shouldn't have been doing it at work?

08-29-08 08:46 AM
    It indicates in your signature that your current device is the 8100. All OS are device specific.
    Right, I was speaking in the sense of a future purchase

Thank you SaneinOne, keep those benchmarks coming, looking better every minute!
    08-29-08 08:49 AM
    That's good to hear that we have an OS on the way with working internet. Now the focus can shift to memory leaks and battery life.

You aren't allowed to test the 3G speed? Or you shouldn't have been doing it at work?

Shouldn't. Mind you it was a quiet evening.
    08-29-08 08:53 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD