I saw DOSBox on the new playbook resources (https://github.com/blackberry/DosBox) and was wondering if anyone was working on setting up a basic DOSBox app?

I would love to play some of the old dos games (azure bonds, eye of the beholder, streetrod, etc.). I know controls could be an issue, but since I have a handheld bluetooth keyboard with touchpad I'd settle for being able to use that.
    cessnao3 likes this.
    10-24-11 11:33 AM
    wow, I'm surprised that no one else seems interested in something like this.
    10-25-11 09:49 AM
    i really hope something is being done about it. The playbook seems to have endless wonders... lets exploit them all
    10-25-11 10:50 AM
    I actually tried compiling the program from source and had trouble getting a working binary--it looks like there are still some errors in translation resulting in old code still existing in the playbook "port." Since it's open source, though, the code can be viewed and edit by anyone so long as they are willing to set up a git hub account.

I'll be trying to work out some fixes later (I've been spending a lot more time on wesnoth!), and I'll let you know as soon as I get the code up and running
    jamesjmunro, KermEd and KRol like this.
    10-25-11 11:06 AM
    Thanks SA, that's just the kind of thing I was hoping to hear.
    10-25-11 11:14 AM
    I've been pondering taking a crack at OpenTTD which is also up there on Github
    lund, EpicSoftworks and KRol like this.
    10-26-11 04:59 PM
    Go for it! I tried but gave up due to lack of time.
    There are dependencies required that aren't on the github.
    The dependencies require absolutely no modification but I had trouble finding libxv (liblzma?) required.
    If you can find that for me I can probably give you OpenTTD.bar
    pblakeney likes this.
    10-26-11 10:02 PM
    Hey Guys, I got dosbox running but I have an issue.

I can mount the PB file system at / or /accounts/1000 and from there I can cd to /accounts/1000/shared/ but thats as far as she will go, dosbox will not see any of the folders in shared.

I don't know if this could be a permissions problem or something entirely different. This is what I currently think.

The first one I loaded was using the debug token and I am able to access files in devuser.

So I signed the bar and now cannot access devuser or shared.

I haven't figured out how to sign the bar using the IDE, I am only able to use the debug token so I used the command line to sign it instead but I used the existing bar that originally had the debug token.

I did this because I haven't been successful packaging the app from the command line yet. I don't know where to set up LD_LIBRARY_PATH and I think that is the issue.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know.
    11-04-11 12:12 AM
    In the blackberry-tablet.xml you need to give access_shared permission.

<action>access_shared</action>

You can sign from the IDE. It's in the same place you pick debug token.
    Last edited by xsacha; 11-04-11 at 05:42 AM.
    jamesjmunro and A7omic like this.
    11-04-11 05:39 AM
    That worked, Thanks xsacha.

I added access_shared and loaded using the debug token and I am able view the shared contents now. I copied some games over to the misc folder and I was able to start some(simcity, skateordie, warcraft2)

User input works using the PB keyboard but none of the touch inputs are working so I wonder if the TouchControlOverlay library is working properly or perhaps some errors I received when the BAR started on the PB have to do with it.

Errors:
    I/O warning : failed to load external entity "sdl-controls.xml"
    Unable to parse control file sdl-controls.xml

Either way, dosbox runs and apps are running so that is good progress for day one.

...still not sure how to fully sign the bar using the IDE though, I am not seeing how to select this and use the debug token.
    11-04-11 10:29 AM
    With the assistance of a very helpful rim employee on github I have successfully implemented the sdl-controls.xml and the touch controls are now working.

You can see i am running War Craft 2 and it is playable.
    bquinney, bluemax413 and KRol like this.
    11-04-11 08:49 PM
    Did you figure out how to sign it? You need to use the .p12 (which is created from the rdk key). You don't use the debug token.
    11-04-11 09:31 PM
    Did you figure out how to sign it? You need to use the .p12 (which is created from the rdk key). You don't use the debug token.
    I have the .p12 file configure but when I select run as... it always seems to make me use the debug token. I didn't have any time today to play around with this some more so I will take another look at it tomorrow.
    11-04-11 10:39 PM
    "DOS" this mean I can run Buerg's List and Qfiler and Lotus 123?
    11-04-11 11:25 PM
    Someone in another thread was sarcastically wishing the playbook could run windows 3.1 or 95. I think we probably have our answer now
    11-05-11 12:00 AM
    Well yes, it can technically run Windows 95 now
    11-05-11 01:28 AM
    So, are you willing to slap a copy of that bar file up here once you have it signed?
    11-05-11 09:06 AM
    Ya I will throw a bar up but I want to work on the touch interface some more first.
    rustmonkey likes this.
    11-05-11 11:50 AM
    Omg, Warcraft 2 on the PB... I've been wanting that game since I got my PB. lol
    harist3a likes this.
    11-05-11 01:18 PM
    It would be nice if you could merge your changes with the github one too (maybe through an email request or JIRA).
    Especially if you can get a README with links to source dependencies.

Would make it easier for us to fix up issues like the touch overlay
    11-05-11 05:40 PM
    Is this an app or an alternate OS?
    11-05-11 05:52 PM
    Is this an app or an alternate OS?
    BAR applicaiton I believe
    11-05-11 07:44 PM
    Ya I will throw a bar up but I want to work on the touch interface some more first.
    Awesome! Lookin forward to it
    11-05-11 07:46 PM
    Also, not nearly the same thing - but this is a DOS clone for Android that I ported over. Might be useful for some strange context:

http://www.filearchivehaven.com/downloads/pb/DOS.bar

Last time I really looked at this free port - it looked like it was mostly written from scratch.

I was hoping to get time to look at FreeDOS
    11-05-11 07:46 PM
    It would be nice if you could merge your changes with the github one too (maybe through an email request or JIRA).
    Especially if you can get a README with links to source dependencies.

Would make it easier for us to fix up issues like the touch overlay
    It's not that there was an issue with the touch overlay, the sdl-controls.xml was not defined for dosbox. I quickly used the one defined for openTTD to see it work.

Now I am modifying it to add some keys such as escape, arrow keys, etc. Not without problems though, I wam able to map the keys but the program does not like my new png files I created. I just need to find some time to sit down with this, the weekends are always busy.

Once I have it working well I will see about adding my files.

Have you taken another look at openTDD?
    11-06-11 07:59 AM
493 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD