Now that DevCon has come and gone, does anyone have any insight as to when OS 2.0 is going to be released out of beta and inteoduced to the world?
    10-24-11 04:14 AM
    Now that DevCon has come and gone, does anyone have any insight as to when OS 2.0 is going to be released out of beta and inteoduced to the world?
    Based on my use with the beta, I would say November is likely. Everything seemed to work but there needs to be time for developers to repackage their apps to work with 2.0. Flash videos seemed to crash my browser as well. Besides that it actually seemed a bit quicker and smoother in many areas than 1.0.7. This is just my opinion though.

I would say by years end is safe to say, but again, November is my bet.
    10-24-11 04:19 AM
    They better have it ready before Black Friday and Christmas...otherwise they will not be able to move units during the christmas season...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-24-11 04:24 AM
    Next Quarter

I agree with UrbanGlowCam, end of November seem a realistic deadline, but the caveat is the fact that RIM can not execute its plans!
    10-24-11 04:24 AM
    No one knows. It's already late, it'll be out.. when RIM says so.
    bcbbanga4l likes this.
    10-24-11 04:26 AM
    Sometime in November is realistic. It appears that the 2.0 Beta is mainly for developers to test their apps for compatibility and make changes as needed. I would think that most developers could do this in a couple of weeks and post the updated apps to App World.

Once the apps have been updated, the 2.0 rollout should happen shortly after. I think the main reason for the delay is to avoid an app nightmare where most of your app library doesn't work. That would be bad publicity that was easily avoidable.
    10-24-11 05:08 AM
    We've done this thread already.

50 educated(?) guesses yielded a statistically supect mean date of 16th December 2011 for the OS2 general release. That sort of agrees with RIM's "out in the Fall" most recent guesstimate too.

There was a Catnip Mouse on offer for the winner, but my cat has now hidden the prize. Sorry.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 10-24-11 at 06:41 AM.
    10-24-11 06:35 AM
    Now Android developers are converting their apps to Playbook format. As soon as enough apps are converted and uploaded to the App World OS 2.0 will be ready to download. This can be in two to four weeks.
    10-24-11 07:00 AM
    This can be in two to four weeks.
    Is that RIM 'weeks' ??
    10-24-11 07:22 AM
    I can't see how anyone could possibly judge based on what they see in the UI whether or not 2.0 may be close to release for November.

Unless you assume that "folders" and a BBID settings page are the only changes you're going to see...
    10-24-11 07:27 AM
    RE: 2.0...so when?

Probably before 3.0...
    thetnaung and mkm_dz like this.
    10-24-11 08:58 AM
    well i hope its soon. the main concern i have is the bridge feature and how it will be effected. i only bought the playbook because of that. I spent the last week in a different hotel every night and I had a nightmare experience with the wifi hotspot in the hotels. It seems that the playbook needs almost a full wifi signal to function or otherwise it drops connection often. when i would use bridge it works flawlessly. so i don't need anything i have to constantly fumble with. I nned to get my work done and I need it to hit the ground running.
    10-24-11 09:09 AM
    Hmm.. given how we used to joke and say we wouldn't see it till xmas time back in june, and november is right around the corner, im sticking with LATE spring 2012.
    10-24-11 09:28 AM
    RE: 2.0...so when?

Probably before 3.0...
    Nope - before 2.1
    10-24-11 09:54 AM
    Latest unofficial date generated by an Alec Saunders tweet: Fall. When in Fall? Who TF knows, and its RIM so they don't have to deliver it then anyway because the last date was "Summer" and they flew past that one with zero explanation or care.. So December 22nd is the next date to wait for and the RIM apologists can wait till RIM misses that date before they can start throwing the troll word around in bulk again.
    Siiid likes this.
    10-24-11 10:05 AM
    Ex-boss of mine used to say he loved milestone dates.

More accurately, he said he loved the sound milestones made as they whistled by as each one was missed!
    10-24-11 01:20 PM
    It'll be out the same day Satan takes up figure skating.
    10-24-11 01:34 PM
    Jim Balsillie has denied that he ever said anything about the existence of 2.0. He says RIM is busy leapfrogging the competition right now, and will release 3.0 this time next year.
    10-24-11 04:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD