Hi there,

Long time reader, first time poster...we have just recieved our shipment of 40 blackberry bolds from optus and they are rather nice, but one of our lawyers who is moving to china this week (she is chinese) needs hers setup with a chinese language pack to read and write in chinese and I am having a lot of trouble finding one. Her old 8707G had one and that worked superbly but the boss has told me to issue her a bold as she needs the longer battery life. Does anyone know of anywhere they can get one from as I am at my wits end trying to find it.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Matt
    08-28-08 10:05 PM
    Matt! Go to blackberry web side download a east asia ROM. Do a upgrade. after the first re boot
    you also need to do some setup work. Check another threat

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-08 11:16 PM
    thankyou infomax...i am downloading it right now and will post here to advise how it goes
    08-28-08 11:27 PM
    If she needs the extra battery life, turn off the 3G. I believe there is no 3G in China, so turning it off will save battery life for when the radio is searching for 3G networks. Also, you can turn down the screen brightness.
    08-29-08 12:04 AM
    Aeldes. How are you? I had turn of my GPS and 3G. Also turn down the screen brightness to the lowest . No big improvement

08-29-08 05:56 AM
    If she needs the extra battery life, turn off the 3G. I believe there is no 3G in China, so turning it off will save battery life for when the radio is searching for 3G networks. Also, you can turn down the screen brightness.
    they are using a different 3G system called TDXXX
    08-29-08 12:06 PM
    they are using a different 3G system called TDXXX
    That's correct; it's called TD-SCDMA. The Bold uses WCDMA with HSDPA, Bands 1,2 and 5. My point being that this system is not supported in China.
    08-29-08 11:57 PM
    Aeldes. How are you? I had turn of my GPS and 3G. Also turn down the screen brightness to the lowest . No big improvement

I'm fine thank you!

As for the battery life, you will see better battery life as the OS gets updated. It generally lasts with me from the morning till about 9-10pm with my usage..mostly music, IM, email, and some browsing, over 3G... I use the IM a lot so my screen stays on for long periods of time.

I generally recommend that if you can plug it in do so! Perhaps a work around would be to have a second battery. (not a perfect solution, but watcha gonna do!) Maybe your battery is not good?! dunno!
    08-30-08 12:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD