Hi guys,

first post for me. Driven to do so by the madness my phone is causing me!!

I just got the BB Bold 9900 a week ago. I've been waiting for it for months and love this thing! It is SCHWEET machinery!! But alas....

About 2 or 3 days ago the letters "JK" would suddenly start appearing when I entered text, especially on the right side of the keyboard. And most specifically the "S" and "D" and "E" keys. So for example, if I want to type "There soon" I would get "ThJKJK JKoon". It gets so bad that I can barely type a message at all and I restart the app (BBM, Facebook, whatever) and type REAL slowly, patiently and lots of deletions.

I really can't go on like this!!! I DON'T WANT TO TAKE IT IN! The assistants won't know what to do, and I'll be without my BB for at least a week. That would SUCK!!

There MUST be a fix for me?? Anyone have any suggestions? I have Googled and not much. I'm DESPERATE!!! I am downloading the Desktop Software to install the new OS 7 (I am currently on v7.0.0.296 - but built-in BB software update says I AM up to date )

I am on a MacBook Pro Snow Leopard. In case that helps.

ANYONE??? PLEEEEZZZ!!!!!
    10-23-11 03:55 PM
    No idea what's causing your problem, but have you tried a battery pull?

Also, you won't be able to update your software on a mac... you'll need a PC

EDIT: you can use a mac to update to your carrier's latest official OS, but for updating to another carrier's OS or a leaked OS, you will need a PC.
    Last edited by Phill_UK; 10-23-11 at 04:33 PM.
    10-23-11 04:09 PM
    Download .440 and delete vendor.xml. Then open apploader and upgrade to that

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-23-11 04:30 PM
    Personally, I would get an exchange for a new phone cause that would drive me nut and I don't think this is a software glitch that will correct the problem by upgrading the OS.

Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    10-23-11 04:30 PM
    That sounds like a hardware issue but I stand to be corrected.
    10-23-11 04:32 PM
    Have you tried a battery pull yet?
    Sounds a lot like fluid contamination. Get it wet recently?

10-23-11 08:50 PM
    No offense, but this is hilarious xD. It sounds like a prank someone pulled on you...
    10-23-11 09:12 PM
    No offense, but this is hilarious xD. It sounds like a prank someone pulled on you...
    If the op doesn't return you may be right, or they're problem is solved. Either way I'm happy, real or not I have still increased my post count. Haha! It's all good!

10-23-11 10:49 PM
    It's not software, but hardware. It's either the keypad or the membrane between the keypad and the board. The phone should be replaced.

Now, there's also a chance that your Auto text/Word Substitution could be the culprit. You can check that easily by going to Options and simply typing "Word Substitution" in the search box. Check in that word list to see if there's anything that could be causing your issue. I doubt that's it, but worth checking nevertheless.
    10-23-11 10:52 PM
    Thanks for the responses, folks. It's not a prank. It's for real.

I've attached a photo I took of the screen after I tried to type the following sentence: (Forgive me, I actually forgot what I typed because the text has gone so haywire!
    It was something like this: "So here I am testing my Blackberry to show you that I am........... this is ..... unbelievable"

This morning it seems even worse.

I don't remember getting it near liquid. There's a chance, but I don't remember anytime specifically. What if I left it in rice overnight? I just hate the thought of taking it in. It means being BB-less for AT LEAST a week. AT LEAST.

So I'm down to 3 options then? Rice. Upgrading OS (on a PC!). Taking it in.
    10-24-11 02:55 AM
    lmao that pic
    10-24-11 10:24 AM
    Thanks for the responses, folks. It's not a prank. It's for real.

I've attached a photo I took of the screen after I tried to type the following sentence: (Forgive me, I actually forgot what I typed because the text has gone so haywire!
    It was something like this: "So here I am testing my Blackberry to show you that I am........... this is ..... unbelievable"

This morning it seems even worse.

I don't remember getting it near liquid. There's a chance, but I don't remember anytime specifically. What if I left it in rice overnight? I just hate the thought of taking it in. It means being BB-less for AT LEAST a week. AT LEAST.

If you've been running it for a few days since getting it wet, there's not much rice can do at this point. You can start by checking the indicator strips under the battery to see if they've changed color. If they're still white I would take it back for a replacement.
    10-24-11 10:53 AM
    Ok, well here's an interesting development in this story...

So I log on to online Gmail using my browser, and reply to an email. I write the entire email FINE! No key problems at all! But back in BBM, Facebook, Text messaging; same problem.

So now I think "This HAS to be a software problem"! If it were hardware it would happen ALL THE TIME! (Interestingly, it started happening on another email later in the day - but the initial situation of that first email seriously made me doubt it was a hardware issue)

So considering I don't have a PC right now, I thought my best bet is to delete some apps. That might help. So I delete all my downloaded apps: Brightberry (A torch); Google Sync; Whatsapp; WeatherChannel. Just those. Reboot. BOOM! NOT A PROBLEM!! I've been typing like crazy and all is good!! BBM, Text, Facebook, Twitter, Email. ALL GOOD!!! I had ONE problem where I entered "E" and a "K" came up, but one out of at least 1000 entries since the app deletions is a pretty good ratio!! (Like my posted PIC, at one stage I was getting "JK" at EVERY "A" "E" "S" or "D" I entered. So 1 in a 1000 is AWESOME!)

So it looks like there may still be a slight bug, but I can handle it until I update the OS. But for the moment I am sorted!!
    10-25-11 12:25 AM
    Make sure this isn't caused by a faulty entry in Word Substitution. Go to Options>Typing&Language>WordSubstitution and check if 'S', 'E' en 'D' are in the list as substituted by 'JK'.
    10-25-11 04:52 AM
    If you've been running it for a few days since getting it wet, there's not much rice can do at this point. You can start by checking the indicator strips under the battery to see if they've changed color. If they're still white I would take it back for a replacement.
    Hey, thanks for the reply. So, obviously it has been some time since this all happened. But I thought I'd give an update to anyone interested... (Considering no-one else has posted I imagine this hasn't been a universal problem with BB Bold 9900s so it must've been liquid damage, but I just don't remember getting it wet EVER?! Maybe sweaty hands??)

Anyways... so as mentioned, I uninstalled Google Sync, WhatsApp and FlashLight (or something to that effect) and it worked fine again for about a week or two. Which is weird, because surely that points to a software problem??

Then it started happening again. This time worse than ever. It got so bad I couldn't even enter my PIN after a battery pull. (This now points to hardware, right?)

So, in desperation, I took the battery out, and buried the BB, it's battery and its battery cover (what the heck) in RICE for over 16 hours. I carefully took it out the rice and BOOM! It all works fine! And it has been about a month and not a problem! So I am hanging in there! I am just too scared to re-install Whatsapp again (I installed Google Sync) in case this happens again.

So, after all that. I am a happy chappie for now. I will keep you posted.

Thanks for all the tips and advice.
    12-01-11 03:07 AM
    Put the phone on a carpet or alternatively on a towel on the floor; take your shoe off and beat the crap out of it!

Im serious; it works! I've done it twice; just try to avoid the screen.
    01-04-12 05:04 PM
    Take it in, get it exchanged. (if you aren't sure about the liquid thing, I wouldn't mention it because a lot of companies will do anything to void the warranty, even if it's only a possibility) Good luck
    01-04-12 06:00 PM
    So i had the same problem after an unexpected fall. I tried putting pressure on the back and end buttons with no luck.

I took the phone to my service repair technitian (phone is still under warranty), after begging her to disconnect and reconnect the keyboard to fix the issue instead of paying for a replacement she accepted and viola problem fix.

Thanks for the diagnosis crack team.
    05-23-12 12:39 AM
    The fact that you cannot remember whether it got wet leads me to ask what was the native of the liquid it might have consumed!
    05-24-12 04:14 AM
    Its more than likely it got moisture by the heat fr inside ur pocket or from ur holster, this happen to me when I had my first bold (9000), I jus pull it n wipe under the track ball with a q tip n flip back in the battery n it start working back again... U can prbly check the litmus paper near the battery n if there is one near the keyboard n track pad if the color change to red, if yes thn moisture reached it
    05-24-12 01:28 PM
    Hopefully someone will find this helpful.

This evening I dropped my 9900 on a hard floor. Keyboard and all buttons stopped working, including trackpad, screen lock, volume and hotkey. All buttons lit up as normal on reboot and screen and touch screen worked correctly.

Trust me you can't get very far without the back key. Phone was unusable.

I've had a problem with the trackpad before and that turned out to be a loose internal connection, which I fixed myself (invalidating the warranty ). So I had no worries about opening up the phone and checking the trackpad/keyboard connecting plug.

Put it all back together expecting all to be well... it wasn't. All buttons remained dead.
    Through the panic I managed to think logically. If the screen lock, volume and hotkey weren't working then either I was totally screwed or a different connector, deeper within the phone had come loose.

Using this video I took the whole phone apart as I had nothing to lose.
    I believe the final connector/plug popped in this video was the problem. This plug is adjacent to the hotkey and I believe it is this plug which connects the all the bezel buttons to the mother board.

This is just a guess, but it might be that this plug works in series with the trackpad/keyboard plug and both must be 'tight' for full functionality.

Anyway, anyone who has similar problems and doesn't mind losing their warranty should basically check all internal connections/plugs. Could save a lot of time and money.
    Last edited by BoldTeddy; 05-24-12 at 06:18 PM.
    05-24-12 06:08 PM
    Looks like your phone is trolling you. Lol jk
    05-25-12 12:15 AM
    hi, im having the same problem with my blackberry 9900. it's just yesterday that i've noticed that when i pressed the letter 'i' it displays 'i$' , 'y' it displays 'yb', 'd' it displays 'dx', 'b' it displays 'yb' and for 'x' it displays 'dx'. I've already tried removing the battery. sometimes its actually not permanent as of this time but as i've read this post i now know that i'm not the only person having this problem. if anyone knows a way to fix the problem please don't hesitate to give a comment i really need help.

thank you!
    07-13-12 02:04 AM
    Hi there, i just experienced this problem like yours.
    First i thought it was a software error, so i did downgrade and upgrade my blackberry OS.
    But it didnt solved anything and even it getting worse.
    Then i did an experiment, i open the keyboard and tried to power on my blackberry 9900 without the keyboard, then voila problems found.
    When my blackberry is on without the keyboard, the 'JK problem' didnt appear at all, and it works properly like before.
    So i decided to bought a new keyboard sparepart, then i put it to my blackberry.
    And now mine is doing great like a new one.

p.s : i experienced it after i bought it for just 1 month, RIM should pay more attention to this kind of issue.
    05-31-15 08:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD