NOT an acquisition by either side, but an old school merger...a combining of forces to more competitively take on Google/Android, Apple, and Microsoft?

It's obvious by comparing the PlayBook and TouchPad that both sides took a similar approach to the Tablet market...we all know what happened to WebOS, and we DON'T want to see the same result for BBX (which has to be in the back of even the most loyal/faithful Crackberry Nation citizens).
    Even the Pre3 can be compared to the Torch line-up...so, why not take the best from both sides and build HP-RIM into the competitive beast that it's capable of being?

Initially, we could have dual-boot devices (tablets, at least) where we chose whether we wanted to capitalize on the WebOS or BBX platforms for any given task, or day...eventually, though, it wouldn't make sense to maintain both side-by-side, though. So, the best of both worlds would be blended into a WeBBX OS (oh shoot, did I just solve the naming infringement lawsuit, too? oops!)

We've seen it before - two smaller and/or flailing companies coming together to organize a joint assault on the big boys...look at the auto manufacturing industry, wireless carriers, even the retail industry has seen similar strategies employed in order to compete...can it work here, too?

Just a Sunday morning theory...would love to hear Kevin's insight...
    10-23-11 11:38 AM
    There is no mismanagement like HP mismanagement.

They make RIM's co-CEO's look like Steve Jobs with comic-book-hero superpowers.

Just ask Palm users how they feel about HP.
    10-23-11 12:04 PM
    Not sure it would be a worthwhile partnership. RIM needs to reinvent themselves in 2012.
    10-23-11 02:13 PM
    HP has enough problems, and you want them to join up with RIM??? LOL!
    10-23-11 02:16 PM
    These two don't complement each other in a way that would solve either company's issues.
    10-23-11 02:22 PM
    I think merging with HP would hurt RIM. I would hope this never happens.
    10-23-11 02:23 PM
    Amazon is already trying to buy WebOS. If they succeed what is the point in combining with HP??
    10-23-11 03:43 PM
    HP doesn't "invent" anything anymore.
    10-23-11 03:55 PM
    Well ... RIM could hire ex-WebOS folks as part of their Silicon Valley evangelist team (see recent thread on the topic), or as in-house developers. In that way they could benefit from an 'HP connection'
    10-23-11 04:47 PM
    I think you're referring to "a merger of two equals".

While on paper it sounds great...take the best of each other and create killer product. However, that only holds water if you get the WebOS property for nearly free and if you don't, then you have paid for a fully-baked product for which you only benefit from a smaller part. HP will want the maximize WebOS's value in any transaction however much it makes sense.

It always comes down to economics in the end and unless HP wanted to "fire-sale" WebOS, the numbers wouldn't work.
    10-23-11 05:18 PM
    It wouldn't be a good match - though I do think RIM should try to pick up as many people off Palm's UI & web SDK teams as possible and use their input in the WebWorks SDK design.

I've sometimes wondered if it'd be a good idea for RIM to get pieces of Yahoo...(not going to happen).
    10-23-11 05:31 PM
    If RIM and HP joined forces and then found another company like S. They can rename the whole corporation to SHRIMP. It would be unbeatable!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    IronYam and ekv like this.
    10-23-11 10:34 PM
    there will be mongrels everywhere : QNX-operated printer, blackberry on webos, desktop PC on bbos7, ipaq 612c on bbos6 and so forth. and then HP will hire another pharmacist to run a printer/pc/laptop manufacturer ; rim ends up as palm.
    both companies got miserable boards - no direction. maybe too many experienced people on the board (read : octogenarian) who becomes senile and lost.
    10-24-11 12:59 AM
    HP doesn't "invent" anything anymore.
    nore does apple but they do alright.
    10-24-11 01:29 AM
    I'll bet IF Hp comes back to tablet market (as they intend to stop mass market computers) it is going to run Windows8 ...
    But lot of speculations here.
    10-24-11 04:12 AM
    I don't like the idea of HP..... but I would like to see a joint venture of RIM and Yahoo
    10-24-11 08:01 AM
    never happend
    10-24-11 08:02 AM
    They could name the company RIP which would be fitting if it did happen.....
    10-24-11 08:16 AM
    I'd no longer be a RIM fan/user.
    10-24-11 08:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD