Last night in an epic hunting adventure I lost my blackberry. We were in some of the densest terrain imaginable. Didn't realize it til I arrived back at the house. Thought it was gone, but remembered that I had recently installed protect. Quick trip to the laptop showed my bb on a map. Recon of the area, and remotely activating the find me ring tone; i had my phone back. What a cool feature. Nice to know too that if it had been somewhere else, I could have locked it and wiped it remotely. Thanks bb
    Flattoe, Clinto, Guatiao and 9 others like this.
    10-23-11 06:29 AM
    Last night in an epic hunting adventure I lost my blackberry. We were in some of the densest terrain imaginable. Didn't realize it til I arrived back at the house. Thought it was gone, but remembered that I had recently installed protect. Quick trip to the laptop showed my bb on a map. Recon of the area, and remotely activating the find me ring tone; i had my phone back. What a cool feature. Nice to know too that if it had been somewhere else, I could have locked it and wiped it remotely. Thanks bb
    Same kind of story but this time it was when I left my phone on a bus. Using BB Protect I located on map and then intercepted the bus at the stop. Used the ringtone feature and there it was. Nice and safe
    MissoulaMarinerFan likes this.
    10-23-11 06:58 AM
    Nice to see how life (or phone) saving BB Protect can be. Great stories.
    10-23-11 07:01 AM
    Your stories were so moving, i just grabbed my phone and tried to enable BB Protect. But i cannot do it because my company has such heavy encryption place on my Bold, it will not allow me to enable BB Protect..
    10-25-11 04:05 PM
    I love this feature. Surprisingly many people don't know that it is now right there on the phone. You just log in to the BlackBerry website/apps and software/BB Protect and viola! You can locate your device, post a message on it, have it ring, wipe it or lock device.

Pretty cool stuff. Thanks for posting.
    10-25-11 04:37 PM
    Your stories were so moving, i just grabbed my phone and tried to enable BB Protect. But i cannot do it because my company has such heavy encryption place on my Bold, it will not allow me to enable BB Protect..
    Show this thread to your IT/ BES manager, maybe he/she will be convinced to let you use it!!
    10-25-11 04:37 PM
    Protect is not compatible with BES or BB OS7 devices. Wish it were, would love to have on my 9930.
    10-25-11 04:39 PM
    Protect is not compatible with BES or BB OS7 devices. Wish it were, would love to have on my 9930.
    I'll have to check that out. Installed and ran BB protect first thing after getting my 9810.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-25-11 05:19 PM
    I had a similar experience recently, but my phone had fallen into the dense terrain of my bedroom slipper. It was very unlikely I ever would have looked in there, and the BB Protect ringer led me right to it. Thankfully I didn't need to invoke the GPS tracking.

And yes, I realize how pathetic it is that I took the time to log in and trigger the loud ring, but I did spend a while trying to track it down and I was concerned that my 3-year-old had absconded with my phone.
    10-25-11 05:27 PM
    I have the new VZW Torch 9850 and BB Protect works on my phone and it's OS 7
    I have not lost my phone but we played with some of the features just to see how well it worked and it is impressive. Great app.
    10-25-11 06:28 PM
    Always glad to see how a simple app can make recovering a lost device possible. Also, backing up your device without constant input or thought. BB Protect is an investment in hair longevity, meaning that with it, you're less likely to be pulling it out by the roots.
    10-25-11 06:34 PM
    It's not compatible with BES but it came pre-installed on my 9810 and with every OS7 release I've installed on it.

I left my 9810 in the stall at my downtown station's Corner Bakery. I of course didn't realize this until I got about 3/4 of the way to the office.

So I logged in at work and checked it's location - it said it was still at the restaurant! So I called and they said they had it set aside.
    10-25-11 06:46 PM
    Show this thread to your IT/ BES manager, maybe he/she will be convinced to let you use it!!
    Thanks Guatiao, i will check with my IT guys in the morning and let you know how it turned out. I agree, i would think they'd want it enabled too!
    10-25-11 06:50 PM
    Actually i found it real quick on my OS 7 Bold 9930. Just click on the magnifying glass on your face page on your phone and type in BB Protect. And Presto! You find that it is already pre-installed on your phone. Of course I'm using the new .374 update from Verizon.. Don't know if that has anything to do with it. But when "I" clicked on it, it still wouldn't let me use it as i have too much encryption... Boo Hoo Hoo...
    10-25-11 06:54 PM
    Wow did not know about this feature, just activated it in case I ever lose my bb!!
    biohazard79 and steppinghorse like this.
    10-25-11 08:14 PM
    Love BB Protect. It really needs to be the only OTA backup solution across the BB platform. For instance, BBM shouldn't have its own backup solution, bb protect should do that as well. BB protect should also be installed automatically and be an actual part of the OS.
    walcolm likes this.
    10-25-11 08:37 PM
    wrong buddy. It even came preinstalled on my Bold 9900 (OS7)
    10-25-11 08:48 PM
    Works fine on my 9930, not on a BES system.
    10-25-11 08:49 PM
    A very cool app, no doubt. The only downside I've noticed is that, if I enable the Location Reporting feature, there is a noticeable increase in my battery drainage. However, the battery impact is negligible for the regularly scheduled backup feature, fortunately. YMMV.
    10-25-11 09:47 PM

it is available for 9930
    10-25-11 10:09 PM
    A very cool app, no doubt. The only downside I've noticed is that, if I enable the Location Reporting feature, there is a noticeable increase in my battery drainage. However, the battery impact is negligible for the regularly scheduled backup feature, fortunately. YMMV.
    How much did it lower the battery life?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-25-11 10:38 PM
    it is available for 9930
    It was not there on my Sprint 9930 and not avaialble in appworld. Is there an official channel for the download? I don't like personal sites unless it's the application creator's.
    10-25-11 11:43 PM
    I have BB Protect on my 9930, are you sure it doesn't work?
    10-25-11 11:58 PM
    How much did it lower the battery life?
    I don't remember exactly, but it was in the neighborhood of an additional 2% per hour over what I typically experienced without the Location Reporting feature enabled.
    10-26-11 12:13 AM
    Nice to see how life (or phone) saving BB Protect can be. Great stories.
    i'd like to see a story where BB protect actually protected your phone after a theft...once your SIM is removed, the device is gone. that doesnt seem like a lot of protection to me
    10-26-11 12:33 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD