So, if "7.1" exists, is in working order, and people have it, why do we not yet have a leak? We need UMA!

Any new news?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-11 03:25 PM
    Yeah, of course that would be awesome. Hope to see a leak too but I guess these people that are testing it don't wanna let it out there...
    10-22-11 03:38 PM
    The only people who are 'supposed' to have 7.1 are testers, and they're not allowed or obliged to leak it.

The only person I know of on here who has it says it's still buggy, and not ready for public release yet.

So, no new news...

10-22-11 03:39 PM
    I'm guessing we'll have a stable 'leaked' version in the next four weeks or less!

Although, talking to my Blackberry rep it seems they want to release it asap so they can advertise the WiFi calling before Christmas! Again Blackberry not releasing the version they should have released with the phone, imo OS 7 is a 'stable beta'....

Fingers crossed 7.1 is the business!
    10-22-11 05:49 PM
    But this UMA is only for T-Mobile right?

- Charles
    10-22-11 09:10 PM
    Rogers and maybe Telus? Would be amazing if Wind picked it up.

Had to purchase a Nextivity Cel-Fi for work to get any TMO signal whatsoever. Getting tiring waiting for "features" that should be available at launch. Keeps my 9780 around...

10-22-11 10:49 PM
    will there be a mobile hotspot feature in os 7.1?
    10-22-11 10:51 PM
    The 9900 for T-Mobile is not going to be getting UMA with the update, it's actually a newer tech T-Mobile is adopting called IMS (IP Multimedia Subsystem). A few of the new devices dropping soon and a good amount of legacy devices will support it and have the option of $0 Unlimited Wi-Fi Calling, you will have to have a new IMS or 3G-G sim card in your device to use this option as well as the feature on your account. Hope this helps.
    richiec85 likes this.
    10-23-11 01:25 AM
    The 9900 for T-Mobile is not going to be getting UMA with the update, it's actually a newer tech T-Mobile is adopting called IMS (IP Multimedia Subsystem). A few of the new devices dropping soon and a good amount of legacy devices will support it and have the option of $0 Unlimited Wi-Fi Calling, you will have to have a new IMS or 3G-G sim card in your device to use this option as well as the feature on your account. Hope this helps.
    this sounds very promising!!! so for us to avail of this feature, do we need to order a new sim? also as this feature needs to be added into the account, will there be a fee for this feature? for tmo during the early days of uma, i was charged for those times when i used uma because i did not have the mobile hotspot subscription. and last question, will this be free even if we call numbers overseas? and calling from overseas?

thanks...
    10-23-11 08:43 AM

- Charles
    In the US, yes.

Only one UMA licence is granted to one carrier per country... T-Mobile US, Rogers Canada, Orange UK etc.

10-23-11 09:34 AM
    In the US, yes.

Only one UMA licence is granted to one carrier per country... T-Mobile US, Rogers Canada, Orange UK etc.

To my knowledge, it not going to be called UMA in the UK; its either going to be WiFi calling or 'signal boost'(as its already known on orange Android devices). The main difference with it is that it will be WiFi only as in it won't change back to the Orange network when you leave WiFi when on a call, it will just drop the call instead.
    10-23-11 04:55 PM
    will there be a mobile hotspot feature in os 7.1?
    It is, but it will depend on the service books that your provider push. For example, Telus said they will push the service books for the hotspot for all users with a BIS plan. Others may charge you an additional fee.
    10-23-11 06:30 PM

- Charles
    No. Carly is for T mobile. Uma is humping Schweppes.
    10-23-11 07:30 PM
    7.1?.. wont it just be called 8...

zing!
    llamax likes this.
    10-23-11 07:39 PM
    this sounds very promising!!! so for us to avail of this feature, do we need to order a new sim? also as this feature needs to be added into the account, will there be a fee for this feature? for tmo during the early days of uma, i was charged for those times when i used uma because i did not have the mobile hotspot subscription. and last question, will this be free even if we call numbers overseas? and calling from overseas?

thanks...

When connected to UMA, it is like being connected to ANY cell tower in the USA. So you use up your regular minutes, and get charged for calls outside the USA. The only caveat to this is if you have unlimited WiFi calling, in which case all calls within the USA do not come out of your regular minutes bucket.

The big advantage for those of us that travel overseas, is a wifi connection acts like a USA cell tower, so calls to the USA are treated like they originate in the USA.

To date, TMo has not charged for WiFi/UMA calling, and I doubt they would start doing so just on the new BB. Too many people stay with TMo because they can use their home/office wifi signals for indoor coverage.
    10-25-11 03:19 PM
    Does anyone know what the major (if any) differences would be for 7.1?

10-25-11 03:55 PM
    To my knowledge, it not going to be called UMA in the UK; its either going to be WiFi calling or 'signal boost'(as its already known on orange Android devices). The main difference with it is that it will be WiFi only as in it won't change back to the Orange network when you leave WiFi when on a call, it will just drop the call instead.
    orange use the term signal boost to simplify the term uma for the masses and has been used by orange for over 2 years, the bad news for us uk orange users is that we have to wait til febuary to get hold of it see the link
    BlackBerry 9900 Bold | help & support | Orange UK

and uma is possible on BBOS7 as they have apparently implemented it on the curve 9360 (well apparently on orange at least)
    10-25-11 03:56 PM
    orange use the term signal boost to simplify the term uma for the masses and has been used by orange for over 2 years, the bad news for us uk orange users is that we have to wait til febuary to get hold of it see the link
    BlackBerry 9900 Bold | help & support | Orange UK

and uma is possible on BBOS7 as they have apparently implemented it on the curve 9360 (well apparently on orange at least)
    That date doesn't really mean anything I don't think. That just means they'll probably release an official version of a 7.1 OS with UMA around February but it doesn't mean you can't install a 7.1 leak that will make UMA work on Orange. Unless it has something to do with carrier pushed service books, then it's prob different.
    10-25-11 07:16 PM
    Does anyone know what the major (if any) differences would be for 7.1?

WiFi Calling
    thats a major feature thats why its up to 7.1 from 7.0
    10-25-11 09:55 PM
    That date doesn't really mean anything I don't think. That just means they'll probably release an official version of a 7.1 OS with UMA around February but it doesn't mean you can't install a 7.1 leak that will make UMA work on Orange. Unless it has something to do with carrier pushed service books, then it's prob different.
    Seems like February is the new "Summer" these days.
    10-25-11 11:18 PM
    Seems like February is the new "Summer" these days.
    Or ay least the new November.

10-27-11 05:22 AM
    I believe this is another feature Rogers likes to charge customers. Wouldn't be surprised if carriers had something to do with this.
    10-27-11 05:32 AM
    I believe this is another feature Rogers likes to charge customers. Wouldn't be surprised if carriers had something to do with this.
    Rogers already charges extra for UMA so I can only assume they would charge for this as well

10-27-11 07:08 AM
    In the US, yes.

Cincinatti Bell has UMA service.
    10-27-11 10:31 AM
    Rogers already charges extra for UMA so I can only assume they would charge for this as well
    Yes. But Rogers actually has 3 UMA add-on options. One is the $15 Canada Wide, one is the $10 Local Calling, and the third is $5 WiFi Access only.

Unlike the first two, the third plan allows access to Rogers' UMA infrastructure but all minutes used come out of my regular airtime bucket. But while it does not save me any airtime, it does allow me to use the phone in my low-reception area basement. This is an unadvertised plan, you have to ask for it.

The reply wasn't directed at habs_fan, just putting this out there in case some readers were interested in UMA.
    11-01-11 08:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD