I just scored a rapid charger at my local staples (Philadlephia, PA) for 17.50 plus tax. It came out to under 19 dollars.

I haven't found the deal online anywhere, and the staples website lists it for 69.99 still.

FYI - The charging doc was marked down to 59.99 (from 79.99) but I've heard enough horror stories (and the price break is nowhere near as good.)

Also, the 299 PB was available as well.
    alphecca likes this.
    10-21-11 03:25 PM
    What horror stories have you heard about the doc? I absolutely love mine. I now use my PB as a bedside clock and alarm, it works well for watching shows in bed, and it is always fully juiced up for when I take it on the go. Basically the doc has increased my enjoyment of the PB.

Personally I found the "travel" rapid charger to be kind of unnecessary. I bought it but returned it. I didn't find that it charged all that much faster to warrant the cost. And calling it a travel charger? How is it more convenient to travel with than the regular charger which is much smaller and lighter. I personally wouldn't want to pack around that big battery brick while travelling.

In any event, I love the doc, but you definitely got the other rapid charger at a great price point.
    10-21-11 03:37 PM
    Agreed as far as the bulk of this "travel charger" - it is very large and I use it only in my office. I've just heard that the doc can become unusable with certain cases putting the wrong pressures on the magnetic contacts--might just be a poorly designed case or two, but I'd rather not take the risk and I already have a great case with built in holder (Otterbox Defender) that wouldn't fit the doc anyway...
    10-21-11 03:44 PM
    Ya, I take it out of my case while docked. I have the convertible case and the pb can be popped in/our easy enough. I don't see how any case would work with the dock and as I mentioned above I use it as a bedside clock/alarm and watch vids while docked, so I wouldn't want a case on it anyways. Works for me, I like it.

Take care.
    10-21-11 03:49 PM
    Which case are they using while docking?
    10-21-11 04:01 PM
    I have heard of this sale in other forms so I went to staples today and everything is at regular price. could be a US thing.
    10-21-11 05:23 PM
    I have heard of this sale in other forms so I went to staples today and everything is at regular price. could be a US thing.
    wouldn't be surprised, us canadians are always deprived. unless you'are able to show the website / price to Staples or Futureshop and they will honor the "If you find it cheaper elsewhere, we'll beat it"
    10-21-11 05:33 PM
    i don't think I would get one until they have a fix for the spring loaded contacts.

i borrowed one and the contacts stay pushed down intot he housing and won't pop back up.

many people have had this issue as well. i'm guessing it's hit or miss.
    10-21-11 05:53 PM
    Ya, I take it out of my case while docked. I have the convertible case and the pb can be popped in/our easy enough. I don't see how any case would work with the dock and as I mentioned above I use it as a bedside clock/alarm and watch vids while docked, so I wouldn't want a case on it anyways. Works for me, I like it.

Take care.
    works great with the i-CON case
    10-21-11 06:11 PM
    Stores in Pittsburgh have em for $17.50 also. On my way now!
    10-21-11 06:29 PM
    Agreed as far as the bulk of this "travel charger" - it is very large and I use it only in my office. I've just heard that the doc can become unusable with certain cases putting the wrong pressures on the magnetic contacts--might just be a poorly designed case or two, but I'd rather not take the risk and I already have a great case with built in holder (Otterbox Defender) that wouldn't fit the doc anyway...
    As mentioned further down, both the Dock and Rapid Charger can have what I'd call "pin" problems. Both use a springloaded system to keep the pins at the proper height to contact the pb. Both types of units have had issues where one pin is suspended lower down and does not always contact the pb. One guy (the Battery Guru programmer) offered a fix - by a bit of disassembly to prop up the lower pin. In my rapid chargerSSSS, the pin is still springloaded but just set lower down. So when using it, make sure of full contact (check to see if the battery is actually charging. That is check after a few minutes to make sure voltage is increasing. You can get a false Lightning Bolt but no charging is occurring. I've got the Otterbox, too and contact with the wire running right does not make good contact but the BOLT shows. No charge.

And I have TWO because I called for a warranty fix. It supposedly is NOT warrantied but since it took two weeks for help from them, a nice service rep sent me a second gratis. Both have the lower pin.
    Uncle Remus likes this.
    10-21-11 06:44 PM
    i would love to buy either one (preferable the dock one) in Canada. PM if you know of a place for < 20$ new!
    10-21-11 07:36 PM
    They also have the convertible case and the leather journal case for 19.99. I just bought one of each. The journal case looks just like my leather bound schedule I use for work.
    10-21-11 07:43 PM
    I just picked up the following at staples;

Rapid travel charger $17.50
    Dock $17.50
    Soft Shell $3.50
    Zip Sleeve $6.50

All for a total of less than $50 after tax.

I went in for the dock, but it was not on the clearance table. I asked them to check if another store close by had it. I looked up the sku and the very nice lady that was helping call the other store looked in their system. Turns out they actually had two, so she went looking for them for me.

While she was looking, I asked if I could rummage through a box under the clearance table and found the sleeve and soft shell.
    10-23-11 08:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD