Note that I posted a response similar to this one in another thread, but I thought creating a new thread (since it contains possible solutions instead just complaints) might be appropriate and more visible to people who are trying to solve the problem. If this post is not appropriate, let me know and I'll delete it.

I don't think the battery drain problem is a problem with the battery itself. I had the exact same battery drain issue and symptoms that everyone else has reported (my Blackberry Bold 9700 going from a charge lasting many days down to one lasting 8 hours, and that darn spinning clock). I spent many weeks scouring Internet forums and trying every suggestion I found. I had my IT Dept order a new battery but the drain problem seemingly got worse.

So I was convinced it was not the battery. The IT guys then upgraded the OS from 5.0 to 6.0 No improvement. Then I deleted most of my apps (Facebook, Google Maps, Gmail, the pre-installed ones. etc). I disabled GPS, Wifi, Bluetooth, etc. I set the screen brightness to 50% (which is surprisingly still very readable). I put the phone in standby mode when not using it. I set it to auto-off between 11:00 pm to 7:00 am. But always the same result - battery depleted in 8-10 hours.

So I gave up and put up with it for a couple of months. Then one day I decided to do another quick search in case someone had found a solution in the interim. I came across a post that suggested the Blackberry OS might having trouble accessing the MicroSD card and then drains the battery as it keeps trying. The post suggested two possible solutions:

1: Remove and reinsert the microSD card. Select "Options -> Device -> Storage ->" then press the menu key and choose "Safely Remove Media Card". Then remove the SD card, then reinsert it.

I tried this and my battery life went back to 3 days. But after a week of so, the battery issue came back. Instead of trying this again, I decided to try the next solution below.

2: Turn the BB Compression Setting off. Select "Options -> Device -> Storage", and remove the checkmark from the "Enable Compression" setting.

I tried suggestion #2 and it seems to be a permanent fix. For the last 2 months my BB has stayed charged for up to 4 days instead of a measly 8 hours. And no more spinning clocks! You should note that RIM says you should leave compression on, but whatever the adverse effects are for turning it off, they can't be worse than a phone that needs to spend most of the day plugged in, can they? If turning compression off doesn't solve your issue, turn it back on. Me, I'm going to keep the setting off for the time being.

I'd like to know if this addresses the issue for other folks. Would also like to know of any negative implication arising from turning compression off. I haven't noticed any yet but am looking for any feedback.

<< UPDATE - Jan 5, 2012 >> Just wanted to post an update on my BB's battery life: each charge still lasts 3 to 4 days (due to compression being turned off).
    Last edited by ChicagoJoe; 01-05-12 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Provided update on long term results of solution.
    IAmBBJosh, bulkie, apogee7 and 1 others like this.
    10-21-11 11:37 AM
    Compression is likely for apps when installing, or compressing of databases. it's enabled for me and I haven't had any adverse affects, period. I guess not every single 9700 (or blackberry in general) is the same for everybody.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-23-11 07:25 AM
    I had the same problem--sudden, unexplained loss of battery life combined with randomly spinning clock. I tried all I could think of: deleted apps, turned off WiFi, dimmed screen, removed and reinserted battery, SIM card and mini SD card. Nothing. Sill only 6-8 hour of battery life when I used to get 3 days. I tried a new battery. No effect. I thought maybe there was a something wrong with the device (a short? a software glitch?) that was causing this but could think of no way to check that, so I was resigned to becoming one of those people who is always looking for an outlet to charge my phone, which I resisted as I have a BB primarily because I do not want to be one of those people. Then I happened upon this thread. I changed the compression setting and voila! back to 3 days of battery life!! In fact a bit more now (3.5-4 days) because of the other changes I made. I am ecstatic of course and very thankful but a bit bewildered. Why does this work? What suddenly goes wrong that this settings change fixes? And why isn't RIM pushing out a fix (this must be a softward issue, mustn't it be?)? In any case, thank you very much for this thread: it saved me from buying a new device.
    11-17-12 08:48 AM
    Turning the compression setting off has solved my spinning clock and battery drainage problem. Great advice. Thank you.
    11-29-12 10:22 AM
    Thank you I have the exact issue (take photo two times, and BAM! the device is shutdown because of battery),
    right now I'm taking 10 photo and the battery is still normal, thank you
    01-20-13 08:12 AM
    Hi, I have tried all the above but still no solution to the battery problem. My Bold 9700 goes off when I use apps that connect to the internet, even when the battery was fully charged overnight. Apparently there is a power management issue that sais to the phone to switch off when more power needed for 3G data exchange, because when I take out the battery and reinsert it the battery indicator is almost full and the battery will hold another hour or so (only for calls).
    09-05-13 04:50 AM
    I'm having the same problem but the only setting for compression I can find is >Setting s>options >memory>compression>enabled or disabled. Changed to disabled. Is this right? I'm recharging now. My phone is 9700 v.5.1.0.112. I wasn't able to find >device
    My At&t sim card is no longer provisioned but I have it unlocked so that I can use my eu Vodafone sim. It has been great until 2 wk ago. Changed battery etc. Hope this works. Sent from my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 02:14 PM
    No idea why it works but turning off the compression thing has cured my phone. Thankyou so much.
    11-22-13 05:22 AM
    The solution did not work for me.....any more?
    it only started happening when I updated BBM
    01-17-14 02:22 PM
    I just turned of compression and we shall see if it helps. I use my BB for 11 email account and that's it. Very few phone calls and no surfing or social media - just mail and the battery dies quickly. Replaced the battery and no change so I just turned compression off. Hopefully that will do the trick.
    02-11-14 12:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD