I appreciate RIM trying to make the 2.0 interface much like the iPad but I'd rather they didn't "copy" that way of doing things in favour of a different approach.

Why not change the interface to allow us to rename the tabs, have as many tabs as we like and allow only the tab names to scroll side to side across the top or bottom of the screen. When we see the tab we want, tap it and then open the program of choice.

I don't see the point in scrolling the full pages of applications side to side, then opening a folder, then opening the app of what you want?

Dunno, just a thought.
    10-21-11 06:55 AM
    I completely agree, I don't understand why RIM is straying away from their own designs and copying others.

To be honest the way things are going (and yes I understand its only a developers beta) I probably wont update to 2.0, I'm content with my Blackberry Playbook just the way it is. The only thing I truly wanted was the ability to create folders and hide icons like on my phone, but it looks like that wont even happen...
    Last edited by CB.Mike-D; 10-21-11 at 07:13 AM.
    10-21-11 07:06 AM
    The new UI for 2.0 is a mix mash of webOS 3.0+iOS. . . and doesn't seem to really add any benefit to what was already there and in many ways reduces benefit, imo.

What this tells me is, RIM has no clue what they are doing with the UI. They have no research behind them telling them what they should be working toward. Instead they are just copying others = making a mash-up of competing UI designs already available.

Look at Windows 8. At least MS is putting in some time researching how people use tablet devices and basing their designs on that. Google finally did the same thing and we are seeing the results with the new ICS release.

In other words, they have a direction based on something other than, "the competition has a UI like this." Yes, everyone does copy everyone else to some degree however, there ought to be justifiable research behind why you are doing x, y, and z even if it is copying.
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    10-21-11 11:38 AM
    The UI wasn't broken. What was broken was the lack of apps and the lack of features in the native apps.

I sure hope that during all the screwing with the UI, one of the designers spent his coffee break on the phone with Adobe to have them fix up the Reader app.
    10-21-11 01:17 PM
    RIM DOES know what it is doing with the UI. It is misdirecting from the lack of developer support and lack of overall functionality like smearing cheap lipstick and a bow on a pig.
    10-21-11 03:35 PM
    I like the UI in 2.0 better i didnt have any problems with 1.0 but is definitely more complicated to the average user, 2.0 makes it more simple and intuitive.

Take for example the repeating of icons in 1.0, why would i want several instances of the same icon? it makes no sense, you delete an app in favourites but the app is still there in the main tab, the average user might find that very confusing and it makes the main tab to look very cluttered with all of your apps there.

With 2.0 you can have your favourites always on top, this makes alot sense since those are your favourite apps right? you'd want them available at all times anyway, true you only have space for six, but you can have folders in there too.
    The bigger windows in the multitasking area look better IMO, specially in portrait mode wich now looks cleaner with its single row of icons., its not perfect but is definitely a step in the right direction, and this is coming from a person who loved the original PB UI.
    GlenB and anon(3896606) like this.
    10-21-11 05:24 PM
    Take for example the repeating of icons in 1.0, why would i want several instances of the same icon? it makes no sense, you delete an app in favourites but the app is still there in the main tab
    That's the same flexibility that a folders-only setup gives you. If you have the same app in two folders and delete it from one, it will still be there in the other.

With 2.0 you can have your favourites always on top, this makes alot sense since those are your favourite apps right? you'd want them available at all times anyway, true you only have space for six, but you can have folders in there too.
    Not really. Again, if I want something on another panel that isn't in my favourites bar, there is absolutely no need for my favourites bar to be stuck there taking up space.

The "Browser" might be one of my favourite apps, but it doesn't need to be right in front of me when I am looking for something else. It just takes up more room and leaves less room available for other icons. The row of tabs has a very low-profile and takes up very little room on the screen.

And besides - if you want 6 favorite apps you can simply rearrange them on the "all" page so they're at the top all the time.

When you browse the web on your PC, do you have all your favourite links showing all the time?
    10-21-11 05:39 PM
    That's the same flexibility that a folders-only setup gives you. If you have the same app in two folders and delete it from one, it will still be there in the other.
    Unless im seriously mistaken you cant have the same app in two different folders in 2.0, that is a big plus for intuitive use IMO.

Not really. Again, if I want something on another panel that isn't in my favourites bar, there is absolutely no need for my favourites bar to be stuck there taking up space.

The "Browser" might be one of my favourite apps, but it doesn't need to be right in front of me when I am looking for something else. It just takes up more room and leaves less room available for other icons. The row of tabs has a very low-profile and takes up very little room on the screen.

And besides - if you want 6 favorite apps you can simply rearrange them on the "all" page so they're at the top all the time.

When you browse the web on your PC, do you have all your favourite links showing all the time?
    I think you are overreacting a little with this, even with the fixed favourites row you still have room for 18 apps to be in plain view, thats quite plenty and hardly a deal breaker IMO, also i think most people would find useful to have their favourite apps available at all times.
    10-21-11 06:06 PM
    even with the fixed favourites row you still have room for 18 apps to be in plain view, thats quite plenty and hardly a deal breaker IMO, also i think most people would find useful to have their favourite apps available at all times.
    At the very least give me the option to hide the favourite bar.

My point is that when you're looking for something that isn't in the favourites bar you don't need to have it in front of you.
    10-22-11 12:53 AM
    i agree... i would have much rather them expanded on the current UI by allowing us to manage our tabs... They could have even left the all tab and allowed us to hide it... i like the folder idea so we can cleanup but if I had a choice between the 2 (and they could give us a choice) I would rather have the tabs and be able to manage them...

Right now i kinda have a favorites bar because i have my favorite apps on the top row of each tab... Works great and i don't have the same 6 apps all of the time...
    10-22-11 02:20 AM
    Personally, I like the new UI in v2.0.

There will always be room for improvement.

In a future release, having the option of hiding the favourites bar and for naming tabs would give a higher degree of personalisation and seem to provide a middle ground for what most people are saying.
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    10-22-11 04:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD