I currently own an iPhone 4 and think its great with the apps, browser and touchscreen etc.. However the Bb bold 9900 looks very appealing to the eye, the keyboard looks great and most of my friends have bbm.. So should I upgrade to it or not? Your thoughts
    Thanks
    10-20-11 12:56 PM
    List the top 5 features of a smartphone that are important to you.
    10-20-11 12:57 PM
    Browser, apps, look, easiness of texting, easiness to use
    10-20-11 01:10 PM
    The iPhone has the BB on the browser and apps, hands down. The look is very subjective, so that depends on you. The BB has a real keyboard, so that should make texting easier, however the iPhone with iOS 5 has iMessage if that means anything to you with friends on iDevices. I think the iPhone is easier to use, but once you get used to anything, its better.

Joe
    10-20-11 01:13 PM
    I agree with Chrisy520.
    My story: I was on the original Droid on VZ and was just hating android and really not impressed with any of the new Android phones and then the iPhone was announced and on that day I bought the 9930. I don't care at all for Windows Phone 7 blah blah whatever it's called now.

I see you mentioned your friends are on BBM this alone would be a good way to keep in touch with your friends. Also the phone is not touted as being a "social" phone but I find that it's actually more social than even the iPhone. You have an app called Social Feeds and think of it as an RSS reader for all of your twitter, Facebook, news etc. Then you also have your BB RSS Reader which is geared towards news. If your friends are on BBM Music well then it's a win win situation there for you as well. Since you all can share your 50 songs amongst each other; note that you don't have to talk to BBM Music people if you don't want to.

If you like to text and email a lot then nothing compares to a BB. Having the physical Kb is great. I just could not get used to the Kbs on the Droid, even the wide landscape KB was nearly useless on that phone. I tried it for maybe 5 mins in nearly two years.

Apps yeah you don't have all those cute apps that are great for wasting time, very few of them really. You do have some good quality apps and the OS is super fast for being single core. Do you really need or want duo core on a cell phone? This is one that for me I haven't found a need for. I can only type so fast and a duo core is not going to help me .

The iPhone 4 is a great device, you can do a lot with it as well, I just did not find that it met my needs or likes. Oddly enough while I thing the OS runs great on the iPad I don't know why, but I just don't like it on a phone??????? Trust me it makes no sense to me either. I guess I find the phone more of a tool while the iPad more of a toy?

As someone who has access to play around with an iPhone (roommate) and me owning my BB I really believe I made the right choice. BBs aren't for everyone, just like iPhones are not for everyone as well. It's a matter of what you find useful and what you like.

Good luck in making your decision. Remember you have 14 days to return it, 30 in Cali, even though they claim you only get 14. Even Verizon cannot change state law.

Peace. and don't feel like
    10-20-11 01:16 PM
    RIM has completely fallen behind the competition, their devices are no where near as sophisticated or polished as an iPhone, or WP7 and Android for that matter.
    HD123 likes this.
    10-20-11 01:16 PM
    RIM has completely fallen behind the competition, their devices are no where near as sophisticated or polished as an iPhone, or WP7 and Android for that matter.
    I guess you have some actual data to support this? I'm sure you do. Some unrelated point that has little to do with the comparison the OP wants. But if you please...
    10-20-11 01:49 PM
    I have both devices. iPhone4 for games, music, and streaming Netflix. The Bold 9930 for call reliability, emailing, and texting. I've been "double fisting" two phones for a while now. I can't seem to make a final decision. *shrug*
    10-20-11 01:57 PM
    If you are not so much in to physical keyboards and typing on glass virtual keyboard is OK for you, please go with the iPhone 4s or even better iPhone5. Blackberry sucks big time in apps and browser. In fact, my University of Calgary website loads super slow and I cannot access a dam thing thanks BIS. My friends on the same network with iPhone can check their grade any time on the go.

If it is not the love physical keyboards, I already have gone for a iPhone by now. Those of you who defend Blackberry saying that they are good for texting and emails, I agree. However, getting an email 5 min later on iPhone than on my BB is nothing compared to freezing my **** in the Winter waiting for a bus because there is NO app for Blackberry to check transit times or schedule changes.

I love my physical keyboard, but hate the apps available for BBs. If you already like typing on glass surface of the iPhone, stay with that or upgrade to the new iPhone. DO NOT come to stone age Blackberry and regret it for the rest of your contact.
    Last edited by mss-ca; 10-20-11 at 02:14 PM.
    10-20-11 02:04 PM
    I guess you have some actual data to support this? I'm sure you do. Some unrelated point that has little to do with the comparison the OP wants. But if you please...
    The market share proved that millions, YES, millions of apps needed to support customers of 3-4 billion of this world who can afford to buy a smart phone. MOST government agencies even in India have apps for info and news. Even in Calgary, Canada.... we have iPhone and Android apps for transit, pets and farm animals, schools, etc.

No matter how much we like to hate iPhone, the fact is that you need millions of apps to satisfy MOST, not all, but most of your customers. If RIM with their stone age phones, this will go down hill. If RIM do not want to compromise security for apps, why not create two different lines of phones; one for business users with security and other for the general consumers! At the end of the day, those who say "we don't need millions of useless apps" must be living in Utopia or or some kind of corner in USA where apps work in that region, but not the rest of the world.

I am sooo mad at RIM and hate myself for buying a Bold 9900 now because my school website cannot operate on stupid RIM's stone age phones!! On top of that, I already had to change this high quality well built RIM phone 3 times for manufacturing defects.
    Last edited by mss-ca; 10-20-11 at 02:15 PM.
    10-20-11 02:11 PM
    I currently own an iPhone 4 and think its great with the apps, browser and touchscreen etc.. However the Bb bold 9900 looks very appealing to the eye, the keyboard looks great and most of my friends have bbm.. So should I upgrade to it or not? Your thoughts
    Thanks
    Buy the Bold and see if you can live with it until the end of the return period. That simple.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-20-11 02:19 PM
    i have both and I wouldn't consider the 9900 an "upgrade". it all comes down to if you prefer a physical keyboard to a touch screen. In regards to your friends having bbm, there are so many people who have jumped ship or never had bb's in the first place so more and more people are using other chat apps like whatsapp.
    My personal opinion, android better than all of them. #icecreamsandwich woot woot
    10-21-11 03:43 AM
    No, you shouldn't create yet another iP vs BB thread.
    10-21-11 04:04 AM
    Lol BB's work perfectly fine as they are...they dont need to be as polished as the iphone, Android or WP7...end of really. Theres nothing really polished about the iphone or Android, cant and wont say anything about WP7 because that holds absolutely no interest for me but the only thing that polished about the iphone is the interface...thats about it...the email and messaging system still sucks *** and same with Android...what is so polished about it??...battery life is stupidly pathetic, the whole android system is so fragmented that its not funny.

Compared to those 2, i personally and yes this is my personal opinion is that the BB is a much more polished all round device especially the Bold 9900.
    10-21-11 08:13 AM
    I used to be a BB fanatic, then switched to the iPhone 4. When the Bold 9900 came out I realized I had to have it! After 2 months with it, I sorely miss my iPhone 4. BB definitely got a lot more right with the 9900, but I don't think it was quite enough to sway me.

Email is BB's best feature, as it pushes it with ease. However, I can't even open all the attachments and view or edit them correctly that I receive from work on my BB and often times have to flag an email for follow up when I get home. The browser is decent, but iPhone's is better. App's on the BB are laughable. Especially on BB 0S 7. There are hardly enough compatible apps for this platform that other BB users take for granted, and that's saying something considering BB is far behind in the app department. Even the battery life of my 9900 vs my iPhone 4 is worse.

I sang the BB 9900's praise after I switched and even defended it against iPhone 4 users who scolded me for the switch. There are some positives, primarily the physical keyboard and design of the phone. It's slim, fits better in the hand, and feels sturdier. And typing out emails and texts are a BREEZE. But after 2 months I now regret my decision, especially since starting the past couple days my BB 9900 has decided to randomly restart itself every few hours. And I use it the same every day but there are days my battery drains within a couple hours, and times when I don't have to charge it for 2 days. All while doing nothing different (WIFI turned off an all). For me, it's a step in the right direction but still an uneven product. I'd stick with the iPhone 4 without hesitation!

PS. Really not trying to hate on BB. I love RIM and was trying to support them with my switch back because I felt they made a device that could suit my needs. But alas, it just wasn't so. It saddens me a bit.
    10-21-11 09:11 AM
    You know, all this bickering about ios, android, bb, etc....is it really does come down to personal preference. They all have good and bad and quite frankly, you really need to personally test drive these devices to see which fits your personality.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with any of these devices. If you get the one that fits your needs and personality it is irrelevant what someone else thinks about it. I personally like bb...it just suits me. I know plenty of users who are and would be better off with another platform as their needs are completely different than mine.
    10-21-11 09:12 AM
    Buy the Bold and see if you can live with it until the end of the return period. That simple.

+1 to this. I knew I wanted to switch back to BB. And I was leaning towards the 9930. But coming from an all touch Droid X2, I thought maybe the Torch 9850 would be for me. So I was 70% Bold, 30% Touch. So I got the Touch, knowing full well that if I didn't like it then I could swap for the Bold, which I did. So by getting the Torch first, there was no question that I liked the Bold better.
    10-21-11 09:55 AM
    The market share proved that millions, YES, millions of apps needed to support customers of 3-4 billion of this world who can afford to buy a smart phone. MOST government agencies even in India have apps for info and news. Even in Calgary, Canada.... we have iPhone and Android apps for transit, pets and farm animals, schools, etc.
    Correlation does not prove causation. Any university student should know that.

Nice subtle jab at India, by the way.

10-21-11 11:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD