I bought my 9930 upon release. Great phone - great keyboard and specs - nice display. No issues with it.

In recent weeks I have been really looking at the 9850. I also see the nice spec's and display. Looks like a great form factor. I am intrigued by the touch screen it has.

Any 98xx users who transitioned from a 99xx (or any other bold, tour, etc)? My concern is the virtual qwerty and the typing response.

Any input is appreciated.
    10-20-11 09:21 AM
    I've gone from 8100 to 9000 to 9700 and now the 9810.... Initially I used the keyboard 100 percent of the time but I find myself using the virtual keyboard more... If I need to respond asap and it needs to be accurate then I go back to the keyboard but the virtual one isnt as hard as I thought and I would be fine without the physical keyboard.

It's all personal preference though.
    10-20-11 09:35 AM
    I came from the curve, tour, and bold to the 9850. It took a week or better to get used to it but now things are grand. I use the SureType keyboard in portrait mode, this is more comfortable for me than using it in landscape mode, but that argument will never end. I've never looked back & I really enjoy the 9850, no regrets.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-31-11 08:59 PM
    I went from a curve to a bold and now the 9860. Had no issues transitioning to the virtual keyboard and I love the larger screen. My favorite BB to date and i don't miss the physical keyboard at all.
    TIMSHULL likes this.
    10-31-11 09:16 PM
    I went from a 9000 > 9700 > 9800 > 9860

I thought the virtual keyboard was going to be the main sticking point for me, and it probably would of been if it acted like it did on the 9800. The new layout is much better, and using it in landscape i probably get around the same typing speed as on my physical kb devices.

Even if it is slower and has the odd errors when typing the upside of having a larger screen is the winner for me. Plus its amazing hahaha
    11-01-11 05:40 AM
    I went from a Tour to the Torch and love it. I thought that I would have some concerns going to a virtual keyboard from a physical one. It took very little getting used to and I now love it. Great phone!
    11-01-11 07:18 AM
    I going to AT$T on Sunday to play with the 9900 and 9860. I know with my 9000 if I want to refresh a web page i just press R on my keyboard,how do you do that on the 9860?? And I to am a little leery of the virtual keyboard but man I like that nice big screen..
    11-02-11 09:07 PM
    I've moved from a 9650 to the 9850 (today is the first day with it). So far so good. I'm still looking for a new theme for it, but other than that I like it.
    11-03-11 01:48 PM
    I've moved from a 9650 to the 9850 (today is the first day with it). So far so good. I'm still looking for a new theme for it, but other than that I like it.
    No themes yet for OS7
    11-03-11 03:37 PM
    i had a bb tour and a bb style with os 6. I loved the bb style but it was getting slow, and not having a touch screen was killing me. using the drop down notifications bar or even changing profiles was made incredibly easier with the use of a touch screen. I would love it if the bb style was updated with a touch screen since its the best of all worlds. outer screen for notifications and fully protects the inner screen, plus full qwerty squishy clicky keyboard that i loved.
    11-03-11 11:53 PM
    Moved from the Bold 9650 to the 9850 as soon as the Torch was available for preorder on Verizon. First pure touch screen decive since an old HP PDA. Takes some time getting used to the keyboard because the slightest touch registers vs having to actually press a hardware key. So still having more typos than with the hardware keyboard. But able to quickly come up to speed enough to keep up on email and note taking. Sometimes want arrow keys for fine movement of the cursor. Then i remember i have the touchpad to assist. LOOOVE the very large screen and improved browsing and ap work in landscape. 1000% improvement in display and smooth scrolling more than compensates for the 23.451% increase in difficulty using the virtual keyboard. Have not looked back at a 9930 or other hardware keyboard device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-04-11 12:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD