Than I click a link on front-page of CB. Kindle app working on Playbook. Lo and behold, like kids on Christmas morning... hey can you convert this apk., how bout this one? I am a former storm series user, and stood up for the phones. Prolly cuz I purchased the first one and secondly it wasn't a bad phone. It "did what I needed ". As time wore on I noticed a lack of apps and sometimes complained. To which whenever someone else or myself would do so; there was an instant backlash of go get a itoy or android. Now it seems you have the ability to run another's OS's apps (which is cool) and the tables have turned. Apps really aren't for toys afterall? Or or we hypocrites? I took the advice of the many members here and got myself android phone. I think some of you should do the same cuz bb isn't going to change anytime soon. Why eat a hot dog when you can have steak? I'm sure this post will be ridiculed by the faithful and that's fine. Just know that I and many others are having the last laugh.. enjoy your android apps peeps, I do. Natively so to speak. Imitation really is flattery, or is it "if ya can't beat em join em". Ill stay with the latter/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-19-11 09:24 PM
    They didn't want:

Apps
    Games
    Front Facing Cameras

Because their devices aren't toys.

Boy I could quote a lot of BlackBerry users here calling me a troll because I stated what I wanted from RIM and telling me Android is a toy.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 10-20-11 at 05:13 AM.
    10-19-11 09:32 PM
    Or maybe they prefer the hardware and overall experience of BlackBerry phones, but would like the options of apps as well for occasional use and passing the time?

Good luck with your Android phone, the unfortunate fact in the world of Android is most of the devices are power hungry and there is a constant competition for faster hardware that doesnt really make things all that quicker to an end user, ergo your phone will be outdated fairly quickly and its debatable if you will get OS updates as often as promised - As much as RIM is panned for failing to keep their promises, theres a string of Android phone manufacturers that stretched the truth in stating how quickly their phones would be updated to new Android flavors.

On the plus side if you are going to leave RIM, Androids probably your next best bet as an ecosystem. If people disagree with your view it doesnt mean you or they are wrong, but where people feel passionately about their choices theres bound to be some heated discussion at times.
    I would say your steak analogy is off a bit though.
    You had a choice between a burger at your local or a burger in a big fancy restaurant. Youve gone with the big fancy restaurant. Sure its more expensive, more flashy, and sounds great when described on the menu, but in terms of taste and pure burger-goodness, your local greasy burger place probably has the flashy place beat - by a fair bit.
    Man Im hungry.
    10-20-11 03:59 AM
    I still think that, for MY needs, apps (and even more andro�d's ones) are not mandatory. I believe that the core OS of Playbook (and soon phones) is powerfull enough to provide 99% of my needs. Yes, it's not currently the case, and our OS is still unpolished and somehow missing mandatory functionalities I'd love to have (native print, network support like dlna and ssh, ehanced BT, and more). This is a real matter, yes, absolutely. But mostly, at my opinion, a matter of time.

Today, I have the environment that (lucky me) allows me to workaround all these imperfections, so that I'm very happy with my OS2 beta or OS 1.0.7 loaded PB.

Tomorrow, adding a few apps I'd better call components (as the Citrix receiver), browsing the web or accessing BB Cloud Services ... well, I'll do pretty everything I want. Then, traveling in my car, plane or train, I'll bridge over infotainment devices to gain things people haven't yet even thought possible (as being connected to the net in a plane ?) ...

Finaly, with balance, I will even authorize my children to use my PB to play games (dro�ds or RIM native's), without a sweat.

Kinda shortcut to explain what I presume/hope/think the future is ... and definitively, it's not about an "app for that". This is a particular angle of vision and I do understand others may have a different view, but I'll stick on it, as a new ... experience ?

EDIT: and for your question, Dro�d stuff is for the show ... mass marketing stuff.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 10-20-11 at 06:17 AM.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-20-11 06:12 AM
    I see your point. However, once you get to experience all the useful apps Android offers I think you will like them, and come to rely on them. Many times an app is quicker and more fluid than using the full web.

I'm interested to see what the die hard "apps are for farts" crowd thinks of Android apps. I think it's a great more to have them available on the PB!
    10-20-11 06:19 AM
    I see your point. However, once you get to experience all the useful apps Android offers I think you will like them, and come to rely on them. Many times an app is quicker and more fluid than using the full web.

I'm interested to see what the die hard "apps are for farts" crowd thinks of Android apps. I think it's a great more to have them available on the PB!
    Sure it is, the wider, the better !
    But it is - again, for me - the cherry over the cake, the delicious time-consuming and media-games-social-private add-on. It IS mandatory to widely sell the PB, i do understand this (ain't no blind !). And hopefully, balance is about this: leisure and work on the same device. For now, I'm more work oriented, that's all
    10-20-11 06:29 AM
    Apps aren't needed for most things on the playbook but they are wanted by a large crowd because they are easier then going to a web page to find the same plus more content.

Of course there are things like messengers etc. and specialty apps/software that are needed for some people as well. I think more the point is not that they aren't needed but you can do most of it using other means and the app count doesn't mean much when there is a lot of duplication of the same thing and tons of goofy things.
    anon(4018671) likes this.
    10-20-11 06:43 AM
    They didn't want:

Apps
    Games
    Front Facing Cameras

Boy I could quote a lot of BlackBerry users here calling me a troll because I stated what I wanted from RIM and telling me Android is a toy.
    Isn't it clear they're trying to target a new audience with the Playbook?

The current 'fanbase' may be fine with the lack of apps, but the new audience they're aiming to get probably aren't, which is most probably why there's many more development possibilities. And probably why so few playbooks have been sold up until now.

Probably notable that I don't have a playbook...yet.
    Last edited by Wretch 64; 10-20-11 at 11:24 AM.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-20-11 07:47 AM
    They didn't want:

Apps
    Games
    Front Facing Cameras

Chrisy join the Group but man the PB has some cool games........
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-20-11 07:48 AM
    Every. Single. Thing.

People come here a whine about EVERYTHING possible. WHY this forum? Go to some forum that no one reads and post this garbage. If you're going to consider the KINDLE application a typical "app" then you're a silly goose. There's a difference between the abundant amount of ********, redundant games and pointless apps compared to apps like the KINDLE application.

I want to read my books. I had an Android tablet before, and I miss reading books. The Android Player is going to be WONDERFUL for that. But jump on the Android Market and take a look at the flooding amount of piece of s**t apps on there - not interested!

As a BlackBerry user and supporter, I don't want apps. And I say that in comparison to the other two ******** app markets out there. You have Apple with 50, 000 versions of the same thing - whether it's useful or a stupid talking cat. Then you have Android with user submitted boobie apps from 12 year olds who don't understand the amazing female body and what it has to offer aside from boobies (kinda like Playboy vs. Hustler... back when magazines existed ).
    10-20-11 08:17 AM
    Further, from my experience on Android, I got totally sick of apps being hit-or-miss when it came to even working at all. So the "I will be enjoying them natively" garbage is exactly that. It's more like "I MIGHT be enjoying these more-so natively... If it works at all".
    10-20-11 08:23 AM
    Apps extend functionality of a device. Funnily enough, I know it (apps) is a curse word for some, but having access to decent apps is only a positive, IMHO.

They allow me to more effective at my job.

Most of the people who get, uh, apoplectic about apps don't understand how to use them, or don't have access to them, or both.
    joski and Chrisy like this.
    10-20-11 08:28 AM
    Or maybe they prefer the hardware and overall experience of BlackBerry phones, but would like the options of apps as well for occasional use and passing the time?

Good luck with your Android phone, the unfortunate fact in the world of Android is most of the devices are power hungry and there is a constant competition for faster hardware that doesnt really make things all that quicker to an end user, ergo your phone will be outdated fairly quickly and its debatable if you will get OS updates as often as promised - As much as RIM is panned for failing to keep their promises, theres a string of Android phone manufacturers that stretched the truth in stating how quickly their phones would be updated to new Android flavors.

On the plus side if you are going to leave RIM, Androids probably your next best bet as an ecosystem. If people disagree with your view it doesnt mean you or they are wrong, but where people feel passionately about their choices theres bound to be some heated discussion at times.
    I would say your steak analogy is off a bit though.
    You had a choice between a burger at your local or a burger in a big fancy restaurant. Youve gone with the big fancy restaurant. Sure its more expensive, more flashy, and sounds great when described on the menu, but in terms of taste and pure burger-goodness, your local greasy burger place probably has the flashy place beat - by a fair bit.
    Man Im hungry.
    I really like this analogy. The one thing that is good in all of this is that RIM is part of the discussion. If they were not, it would be cause for concern.
    10-20-11 08:32 AM
    Just know that I and many others are having the last laugh..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    You've been carrying this way too long. Glad you've finally grasped the opportunity to let it go by reminding everyone you were right and they were wrong.
    10-20-11 09:26 AM
    There's a difference between the abundant amount of ********, redundant games and pointless apps compared to apps like the KINDLE application.

But jump on the Android Market and take a look at the flooding amount of piece of s**t apps on there - not interested!

You have Apple with 50, 000 versions of the same thing - whether it's useful or a stupid talking cat. Then you have Android with user submitted boobie apps from 12 year olds
    I highlighted some of your comments because they're so true. I've been working with Android since 1.5, I own and use Android phones and tablets. Being able to run a "native" app as the OP puts it is so overrated. It is nice however to have an app when you don't have an Internet connection, or when you don't want to fire up the browser and navigate to where you want to go. Especially if you are using the Android browser because let's face it Android users, it will crash.

Android apps are junk. Not all, but most. There is no approval process, developers are all over the board when it comes to a consistent looking UI, frequent crashes and data loss are the norm. It will always be that way until Google gets a grip on the junk people are putting in their market.

Google had to hire their own development team just to create decent apps for their market.
    10-20-11 10:02 AM
    I highlighted some of your comments because they're so true. I've been working with Android since 1.5, I own and use Android phones and tablets. Being able to run a "native" app as the OP puts it is so overrated. It is nice however to have an app when you don't have an Internet connection, or when you don't want to fire up the browser and navigate to where you want to go. Especially if you are using the Android browser because let's face it Android users, it will crash.

Android apps are junk. Not all, but most. There is no approval process, developers are all over the board when it comes to a consistent looking UI, frequent crashes and data loss are the norm. It will always be that way until Google gets a grip on the junk people are putting in their market.

Google had to hire their own development team just to create decent apps for their market.
    We've had quite differing experiences. I have found a good percentage of the apps to be quite useful, and I have never experienced a browser crash.

For me, from a raw productivity standpoint, Android has an app catalog that most competitors cannot match. Toss in great hardware, cloud computing and other pieces of the ecosystem, and I am sure you can understand why the platform is becoming more ubiquitous. So much so that RIM is, for all intents, relying on that "junk."

Choice is good though... more platforms generally equal happier customers.
    10-20-11 10:23 AM
    We've had quite differing experiences. I have found a good percentage of the apps to be quite useful, and I have never experienced a browser crash.

For me, from a raw productivity standpoint, Android has an app catalog that most competitors cannot match. Toss in great hardware, cloud computing and other pieces of the ecosystem, and I am sure you can understand why the platform is becoming more ubiquitous. So much so that RIM is, for all intents, relying on that "junk."

Choice is good though... more platforms generally equal happier customers.
    You are correct, and I should have added that there are quite a few really good Android apps out there. I guess it's going to be a hurdle for Google to get over the stigma of Android being a "hackers" OS, and anyone can dump any kind of app on their Market.

As far as browser crashes: you are lucky. I haven't talked to anyone who is not frustrated with the stock browser. Most people switch to the Dolphin browser (one of the good apps on the Market).

I'm OS agnostic because I need to develop for all, but it's much easier for me to get lazy while coding when doing an Android app. Mainly because it's no surprise for their Android app to be buggy, not look like other apps, and they just expect less from them.
    10-20-11 10:39 AM
    There are many great apps on Android. However, after a few years of experience with iOS and Android, iOS apps do seem to be more polished and stable for the most part, but some of the Android versions offer more functionality.

I am not saying all Android apps are not polished or unstable. Just that I have found more of these types of apps in the Android Market than in the App Store.
    10-20-11 10:41 AM
    Isn't it clear they're trying to target a new audience with the Playbook?

The current 'fanbase' may be fine with the lack of apps, but the new audience they're aiming to get probably aren't, which is most probably why there's many more development possibilities. And probably why so few playbooks have been sold up until now.
    Now that I have a PlayBook and have used it, enjoyed it, and realized some of the functions that I wish it has and that OS2.0 will address, it's actually NOT clear to me if RIM was targeting a new audience with the PlayBook. If they were indeed trying to go after a new type of customer . . .

Was it the business market which RIM is obviously very comfortable with pursuing and in which they have a strong presence with BB phone users? Seems maybe so when considering the PB's focus on security and lack of consumer-friendly options like large selection of available Apps, a MicroSD card slot and copying or renaming files and other "menu-type" functions that might compromise its security and reduce interest from corporate buyers. But corporate folks certainly aren't a new audience for RIM.

Or was it the consumer market which RIM can't seem to understand NEEDS pursuing if it's going to remain a significant competitor in the smartphone realm? Maybe so since they tout the multimedia awesomeness, multitasking, HD videocam, 7" pocket size, and they named the dern thing the "PlayBook". But if they were focused on personal consumers, where was the general advertising blitz to support the product and create buzz and demand?

So to me it's not at all clear that the PB had a definite target customer in mind when they released it -- and maybe that's why the consumers themselves, whether personal or corporate, also have seemed a little confused by the PB and reluctant to buy them. Unfortunately, and as has been pointed out many, many times on CB over the last year, this kind of wishy-washy, unfocused decision making and product introduction has become the norm at RIM. I'm certainly hoping they gain some focus in Waterloo soon and start understanding their industry and their current and prospective customers or I suspect they'll work their way into a niche position within the smartphone world . . . which definitely wouldn't help the need and desire for more worthwhile Apps for BBs and PBs.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    10-20-11 10:53 AM
    anyone telling that apps don't matter on a tablet lies. on a phone, they might be less important for many, but a tablet without apps = zero.
    10-20-11 11:26 AM
    Now that I have a PlayBook and have used it, enjoyed it, and realized some of the functions that I wish it has and that OS2.0 will address, it's actually NOT clear to me if RIM was targeting a new audience with the PlayBook. If they were indeed trying to go after a new type of customer . . .

Was it the business market which RIM is obviously very comfortable with pursuing and in which they have a strong presence with BB phone users? Seems maybe so when considering the PB's focus on security and lack of consumer-friendly options like large selection of available Apps, a MicroSD card slot and copying or renaming files and other "menu-type" functions that might compromise its security and reduce interest from corporate buyers. But corporate folks certainly aren't a new audience for RIM.

Or was it the consumer market which RIM can't seem to understand NEEDS pursuing if it's going to remain a significant competitor in the smartphone realm? Maybe so since they tout the multimedia awesomeness, multitasking, HD videocam, 7" pocket size, and they named the dern thing the "PlayBook". But if they were focused on personal consumers, where was the general advertising blitz to support the product and create buzz and demand?

So to me it's not at all clear that the PB had a definite target customer in mind when they released it -- and maybe that's why the consumers themselves, whether personal or corporate, also have seemed a little confused by the PB and reluctant to buy them. Unfortunately, and as has been pointed out many, many times on CB over the last year, this kind of wishy-washy, unfocused decision making and product introduction has become the norm at RIM. I'm certainly hoping they gain some focus in Waterloo soon and start understanding their industry and their current and prospective customers or I suspect they'll work their way into a niche position within the smartphone world . . . which definitely wouldn't help the need and desire for more worthwhile Apps for BBs and PBs.
    They clearly didn't when they launched the product, but now they've realized that it's mostly BlackBerry fanbois who've got the Playbook, and some government officials, they're being forced, at risk of EOLing the product, to pick a target audience.
    10-20-11 11:26 AM
    anyone telling that apps don't matter on a tablet lies. on a phone, they might be less important for many, but a tablet without apps = zero.
    What important apps do you use on your tablet?
    10-20-11 11:35 AM
    They clearly didn't when they launched the product, but now they've realized that it's mostly BlackBerry fanbois who've got the Playbook, and some government officials, they're being forced, at risk of EOLing the product, to pick a target audience.
    So whom are you saying they've picked to target? BB fans since that's who has bought the PB thus far and so they'll continue to focus there? Or a wider non-BB consumer market since OS2.0 is said to include more broadly applicable features like native email and functions that would apply even if you don't already own a BB? Or government officials?
    10-20-11 11:37 AM
    What important apps do you use on your tablet?
    Not sure if you were asking only the previous poster, but . . .

Files & Folders
    QR Scanner
    Slacker
    Box.net
    Kobo

These are important Apps to me, and the PB's general functionality and enjoyment would definitely be reduced without their availability.
    10-20-11 11:42 AM
    Not sure if you were asking only the previous poster, but . . .

Files & Folders
    QR Scanner
    Slacker
    Box.net
    Kobo

These are important Apps to me, and the PB's general functionality and enjoyment would definitely be reduced without their availability.
    The key words you said were "important Apps to me". That's why the talk and debate is over apps is useless. I don't use any of the apps you mentioned, but they are still important to some people. You probably don't use the apps important to me.

So the whole apps thing is so subjective that it's not even worth while for a lengthy discussion.
    10-20-11 01:00 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD