Any sign that OS2 will be DLAN complient?
    10-19-11 12:39 PM
    Any sign that OS2 will be DLAN complient?
    10-19-11 01:06 PM
    Most likely not.
    10-19-11 01:06 PM
    sadly, no evidence of it. But movie store isn't released in that beta and this is mostly related, so let's keep fingers crossed !
    10-19-11 01:08 PM
    Google the words in quotation marks --- "neutrino 8.0".

You will find a pdf file on QNX's website (which has since been removed). But you can still look at it by pressing the "view as html" option in google search. In that pdf file, you will see that UPnP and DLNA are both not on current QNX road maps --- but only "under investigation".
    10-19-11 01:11 PM
    Google the words in quotation marks --- "neutrino 8.0".

You will find a pdf file on QNX's website (which has since been removed). But you can still look at it by pressing the "view as html" option in google search. In that pdf file, you will see that UPnP and DLNA are both not on current QNX road maps --- but only "under investigation".
    Neutrino 8.0 is not TabletOS or BBX. It is the platform that the latter are built upon.
    10-19-11 04:09 PM
    Bummer! Still trying to fins that one function that would make the playbook worth having.
    10-19-11 04:27 PM
    Neutrino 8.0 is not TabletOS or BBX. It is the platform that the latter are built upon.
    I never said it is --- that's why I said "most likely not" in my initial post. If you go to upnp.org and dlna.org and check their certification databases, the Playbook is not listed anywhere.

But the fact remains that RIM and QNX aren't going to invent the wheel twice. A lot of these things from now on will be coded by QNX engineers and then put into Blackberries --- then months later QNX will finally write the supporting documentations for it so that these softwares can be licensed to say car manufacturers.

If you read the pdf file, you will find that the car manufacturers will get their own private label app store --- just a rebadged blackberry app store. You write the code once, deploy it on blackberries, months later they write the supporting docs, then months later car manufacturers get their own private label app store.
    Last edited by samab; 10-19-11 at 04:45 PM.
    10-19-11 04:27 PM
    I never said it is --- that's why I said "most likely not" in my initial post. If you go to upnp.org and dlna.org and check their certification databases, the Playbook is not listed anywhere.

But the fact remains that RIM and QNX aren't going to invent the wheel twice. A lot of these things from now on will be coded by QNX engineers and then put into Blackberries --- then months later QNX will finally write the supporting documentations for it so that these softwares can be licensed to say car manufacturers.

If you read the pdf file, you will find that the car manufacturers will get their own private label app store --- just a rebadged blackberry app store. You write the code once, deploy it on blackberries, months later they write the supporting docs, then months later car manufacturers get their own private label app store.
    Good point. And likely the same with USB OTG
    10-19-11 04:49 PM
    Good point. And likely the same with USB OTG
    USB OTG is completely different --- because there are legitimate security issues involved with providing USB Host feature.

But it is hopeful because RIM just put WebGL on the Playbook --- which EVERYBODY thinks that there are legitimate security issues as well. Even Apple has only enabled WebGL for iAds only (which are heavily managed by Apple themselves) --- nothing else.

Video driver is not in the QNX micro-kernel, so crashing the video driver via WebGL security vulnerabilities may not mean much in terms of security problems.
    10-19-11 04:57 PM
    I've just tested to see if with 2.0 I could see the ad-hoc network of my dlna Projector. No dice! Perhaps it will come in the consumer version or one of the early updates to the operating system. This is a feature I'm hanging on as well. Not enough to pull me away from the company or device (that for the nay-sayers) but it's certainly something I'm looking for.
    10-19-11 04:59 PM
    I've been hoping for a dlna compliant PB since I got mine in April. So many cool things you could do with that... come on RIM... a lot of us believe you can and will do it... make the PlayBook the awesome device it is so close to being and then you will leapfrog the competition.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-19-11 06:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD