Was wondering what Crackberry thought about the latest from Google. This is one of the most intellectual sites on the internet.. (minus the trolls fishing for attention.) We have a wide range of views, opionions, & professions. Which is good for attaining a diverse perspective.

I was blown away.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by West Coast Flavor; 10-18-11 at 10:49 PM.
    10-18-11 10:38 PM
    I was blown away as well. Simply an amazing new OS.
    10-18-11 10:49 PM
    Looks great. I wished the Galaxy Nexus looked as good as the OS though. ICS features alone eclipse Galaxy Nexus hardware...besides the screen which is stunning.
    10-18-11 10:52 PM
    Very impressive!
    10-18-11 11:04 PM
    i thought they really kicked it up some with this release. Cant wait to play
    10-18-11 11:18 PM
    Was wondering what Crackberry thought about the latest from Google. This is one of the most intellectual sites on the internet.. (minus the trolls fishing for attention.) We have a wide range of views, opionions, & professions. Which is good for attaining a diverse perspective.

I was blown away.

I couldn't help it but I am scratching my head to find what is so awesome about ICS. I find it rather underwhelming, IMO Froyo was a big leap , GB was OK, HC was lame and ICS is somewhere in between GB and HC. I find the same inconsistent UI, floating screens, widgets and the same over all disjointed and laggy feel of the OS(atleast from the engadget video). It didn't impress me a bit
    Last edited by sf49ers; 10-19-11 at 12:41 AM.
    10-18-11 11:35 PM
    Meh. Didn't do much for me. But, in all fairness I'm not a big fan of the OS. If I was I would most likely feel differently.

10-18-11 11:56 PM
    this is what i mentioned in the other thread...

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...elease-661923/
    10-19-11 12:08 AM
    I thought it was pretty good. I watched it on my PlayBook, which I tried to do for Dev Con...good one RIM.

louzer likes this.
    10-19-11 12:16 AM
    I haven't seen it moving yet but from pictures it doesn't look all that different to Honeycomb, should be a good step for mobiles from Android 2.3 but I don't think it adds an awful lot from a tablet perspective, it has made it tougher for me now though choosing between a Playbook (and an OS 2.0 update that we still don't know when it'll come) or a Motorola Xoom (and an OS 4.0 update that we don't know when it'll come....)
    10-19-11 12:46 AM
    I was blown away as well. Ice cream sandwich finally integrates phone and tablet OS, so now we can see developers develop for one single platform. I really like the swiping away applications, now thats the influence of Duarte. That wasnt seen in honeycomb since he just jumped in that project the last minute.

The hardware is super sweet and OS looks very fluid and snappy.

I am not too fond of the widgets since I think that is more useful on the tablet rather than the phone but again this is integrating the OS in one platform. Which will result in more high quality powerful applications. Very well done Google.

The face unlock is cool, it didnt work on the demo but I saw the hands on and it worked pretty well. I applaud Google for stepping up to the plate and showcasing something worthy against Apple's new Iphone 4s.

RIM's event....yawn...typical RIM. What did they do? They asked Android developers to hop on their platform. Lame...
    10-19-11 12:54 AM
    I liked their face unlock also.

Also Android Beam is awesome too! I wished RIM had came out with this earlier because I'm sure they had this in mind.

The multitasking part was cool too. The sliding the "cards" to the side to get rid of them.

It looks smooth. There was no word on if they made it more stable or anything. Right now it's either BlackBerry or Android for me. I wish RIM unveils their phones soon. I don't wanna move away from BB!
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-19-11 01:18 AM
    As someone else put it, they made it look prettier than the past Android releases. I think it's a good progression for Android.
    10-19-11 03:15 AM
    this is a pretty huge upgrade for android, has made me totally forget about bbx
    10-19-11 03:59 AM
    The new OS is simply awesome. Can't wait to use such a device.
    dobiefan likes this.
    10-19-11 04:02 AM
    Having read a bit more it seems a good upgrade for the Android phones, nicer UI than Android 2.3, but not much more for tablets really.
    10-19-11 04:07 AM
    Looks amazing! Might delay my getting a 9930! Maybe another year with Android!
    10-19-11 05:49 AM
    Do Android phones still require the power of a country to operate for 8 minutes before needing to charge?

Does ICS still have the awesome Android experience of force closing apps and general overall bugginess/lagginess?

Is Android still an overall disorganized OS searching for it's place as being the most popular OS that everyone hates?

I still say the only reason Android sells is because iOS is not or was not available for a carrier and BB isn't keeping up with the times.

I tried Android for a brief stint, once. Never again for me. It was as bad as my Playbook experience.
    10-19-11 06:03 AM
    Do Android phones still require the power of a country to operate for 8 minutes before needing to charge?

Does ICS still have the awesome Android experience of force closing apps and general overall bugginess/lagginess?

Is Android still an overall disorganized OS searching for it's place as being the most popular OS that everyone hates?

I still say the only reason Android sells is because iOS is not or was not available for a carrier and BB isn't keeping up with the times.

I tried Android for a brief stint, once. Never again for me. It was as bad as my Playbook experience.
    From my experience no to all. My device shipped with Froyo and upgraded to Gingerbread. No lags or bugs, no data loss, rare force closes, and acceptable battery life. I haven't had any device related issues, hardware or software.

Not sure what you mean about the OS being disorganized. It is simple to navigate and understand. The user is the one that organizes folders, apps, widgets, shortcuts and the look and function of the device.

IPhone is ok but I much prefer Android. IPhone has been avaiable on the two major carriers a while now. I do agree with your statement about BlackBerry being behind the times. That's one reason I switched.

I can see if you're new to Android you may be overwhemled at first. There are a lot of options, choices and customization available. It took me a day or so to get the hang of Android OS, coming from four years of BlackBerry OS. But any reasonably intelligent person won't have an issue figuring it out. But perhaps your stint was too brief for you to figure it out.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 10-19-11 at 06:28 AM.
    10-19-11 06:25 AM
    It took me a month to be able to stay with my Droid X. I would play with it a day or two and and reactivate my 9650 because I was comfortable with it.
    There are a few things a Berry does that Android can't compete with.

Notifications/ring tones- Nothing like walkng into a meeting and have a text RING because I didn't manually silence my phone. NEVER a issue with your berry in a holster.

BACKUPS- I don't want to backup on someone elses cloud or server, I want to backup on my pc.

The shear speed of the internet won out for me and the larger screen. Get the right apps and it'll ease the pain of giving up the BB.
    AUTOWIPE- wipes your android after too many wrong passwords
    AWALLET- stores passwords on your phone with no internet access (can be transfered to sd card or pc if you want to wipe phone, for restore)
    MyProBackup = (almost) BBSAK

Now I use a Droid Bionic - LITERALLY 20 times faster than my droid X on internet
    also, prints directly to my wireless printer with a touch of a button.

I hope to go back to BB, but they will need to come to me, I won't settle.
    BB has the best forum, ****, this forum and the people are what I miss the most.

We shouldn't bash any OS (even ios) they all have advantages and it comes down to personal preference and need.

It shows your ignorance of the competition to bash the other OS as if it has no value.

Sorry, for the off topic rant

back on topic, I can't wait to try ICS
    10-19-11 07:13 AM
    I find the same inconsistent UI, floating screens, widgets and the same over all disjointed and laggy feel of the OS(atleast from the engadget video). It didn't impress me a bit

Yea..you're right. Definately laggy and disjointed

Unlike those BBX videos all over the internet! Oh wait..
    10-19-11 08:07 AM
    Overall I think it looks great. Seems to bring a lot more fluidity into the OS, along with some great new features. Blackberry could only wish to bring Facial Recognition to their phones. Seems like a great security feature..and probably one of the reasons the U.S. government wants to work with Android.

As for the Nexus Prime..I must admit it wasn't quite the "wow" I was hoping for..but that doesn't mean it's not schmexy. That 4.6" screen with 320dpi is gonna look fantastic..and I'll definately be waiting to get my hands on this thing to try it out.
    10-19-11 08:18 AM
    Overall, I was impressed. Google has been working hard over the last 6 months or so to take a bunch of disjointed products, services and functions and to bring it all together in a neatly wrapped little package. For example, they've given a major facelift to the desktop versions of Google.com, Gmail, Calendar, Contacts, Maps, etc. They each have one look, rather than the "Beta" feel that Google was a bit famous for. I'm not sure that ICS goes the whole way on mobile devices, and Andy Rubin admitted as much at another conference last night, but it certainly pushes itself well down that path.

Facial Recognition is a terrific security tool. Android Bump is, imo, sort of like Apple's Facetime. It appears cool on the surface, and will obviously draws some "oohs and ahhs", but I'm not sure that I see the usefulness in real life. The speedy camera is definitely nice. The biggest update, imo, is that new devices will not need any physical buttons on them. The buttons will be on the screen itself, and only when needed. This allows a bigger screen within roughly the same space as before.

What will be interesting is how the device manufacturers "skin" it.

As for the Galaxy Nexus itself... I'm quite happy with my newly purchased Galaxy SII. It is incredibly light, fast, smooth, and I easily get a full day out of it, and only following days of heavy use do I not get a full second day out of it. Really, only a slight change battery-wise from my 9700.
    10-19-11 09:01 AM
    I'm not 100% sold on the facial recognition yet. At least not until it's demonstrated that you can't simply hold a photograph of the device owner up to the camera.
    10-19-11 09:05 AM
    Looks much more polished than gb was and hopefully this will help eliminate some of the fragmentation that android has. The new nexus looks nice though and it is finally coming to verizon!
    10-19-11 09:17 AM
86 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD