Do I need to stop paying attention now?

I had low expectations and those expectations have not been met, at least so far.
    10-18-11 01:05 PM
    You can stop whenever you want.
    lovemyplaybook likes this.
    10-18-11 01:09 PM
    Do I need to stop paying attention now?

I had low expectations and those expectations have not been met, at least so far.

Join the club.

All the bridge functions and native apps the bb community has been screaming for since launch... *poof*.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-11 01:13 PM
    Unless you're a developer who needs motivation or incentives to write, port or dream up an app for Playbook OS 2.0 or BBX in the future, I think you can stick a fork in it -- it's done.

Guess it does make sense to have some applications in App World before you re-launch the Playbook, but the waiting is brutal for the anticipated enhancements to the OS.
    Last edited by CurtJ; 10-18-11 at 01:23 PM.
    10-18-11 01:13 PM
    What happened to the idea of Devcon as a springboard to a Playbook relaunch?

Is this not going to happen now? It seems not.
    10-18-11 01:14 PM
    but the waiting is brutal for the anticipated enhancements to the OS.
    well thats the 64,000 question... what are they, if there are any more?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-11 01:19 PM
    Was that it?!

Did I miss something, or is "RIM releases a crippled version of OS2 for devs to playtest their own apps on, but no announcement re: OS2 feature-list or timeline for general release" the entire news?

Damn, but the cat is looking smug now. Still has his paw on 18th November.
    10-18-11 01:36 PM
    Well for starters it's DEVcon so it should be centered towards the developers not the average joe, and it that aspect I think they showed a lot of things to get developers exited.
    Barljo and kbz1960 like this.
    10-18-11 01:57 PM
    I think we are done, and since their was no announcement of availability for OS2, sounds like it won't be out soon or they would have hyped it more. Also I'm guessing they either killed off of Cyclone (Blackberry TV) that was leaked to come out on the 31st, or pushed it further back as this would have been the prime time to announce with the press coverage and the Video store. So yet again RIM has show us what the Playbook can do, like the Native PIM and e-mail shown off at BBW in May, but it still doesn't do much more than it did at release day (Facebook, closed VTC, and bridge improvements aside). Again RIM shows that no matter how low you set your expectations, they can still find a way to dig a basement under it.
    10-18-11 02:03 PM
    I agree this is DEVCON for developers BUT the entire world is watching and RIM is blowing a BIG opportunity to show what is in the pipeline, if anything......

The news that comes from Devcon 2011 will make or break the Playbook sales numbers. There won't be another opportunity like this for RIM. Show us Something promising with a real date RIM!
    10-18-11 02:09 PM
  11. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Its a Developer Conference!! .. First day! ... the developments so far for the professionals is amazing and will lead to great things for the Playbook and for BB's ... more announcements will come over the course of the Conference and following ...

just sit back and relax! and stop posting "the world has ended" messages! LOL
    10-18-11 02:14 PM
    Well for starters it's DEVcon so it should be centered towards the developers not the average joe, and it that aspect I think they showed a lot of things to get developers exited.
    Yup, you got that right...developers are following the users right out the front door...and RIM execs are saying "thanks for coming...suckers"
    10-18-11 02:16 PM
    ..... Again RIM shows that no matter how low you set your expectations, they can still find a way to dig a basement under it.
    ^^^^ this here is epic !!!
    OMGitworks likes this.
    10-18-11 02:18 PM
    It seems another promise has been broken. Lazaridis said:

"Rather than easing these enhancements out little by little into the market, we are planning to bundle a number of significant features and enhancements into a new major software release for PlayBook that will be demonstrated at DevCon in October and released thereafter."

RIM has thus far not demonstrated the new features and enhancements at Devcon and I would have expected that they would have been demonstrated during the Keynote, which is now over.
    10-18-11 02:52 PM
    They certainly didn't violate any legal obligations nor did they really violate any "promises" they made, but once again they failed to seize an opportunity to make the PB a positive thing. Miss after miss will equal fail and pretty soon. Miss Black Friday and the device will never be a real competitor. IPad 3 will finish it off if they are even close in time....

Too bad, there is so much potential there but they just seem **** bent on missing chances to advance the PB.
    10-18-11 02:59 PM
    Such a bunch of crybabies here.

I watched a good chunk of the opening session. Looks like RIM is making a concerted effort to make things easy and profitable for developers which means that we can expect some great new features coming to BBX.
    10-18-11 03:02 PM
    It seems another promise has been broken. Lazaridis said:

"Rather than easing these enhancements out little by little into the market, we are planning to bundle a number of significant features and enhancements into a new major software release for PlayBook that will be demonstrated at DevCon in October and released thereafter."

RIM has thus far not demonstrated the new features and enhancements at Devcon and I would have expected that they would have been demonstrated during the Keynote, which is now over.
    The Playbook project manager posted on tht Beta Zone that:

"We have more PlayBooks than you can image pre-loaded with new code to demonstrate on the floor at Dev Con. I suspect that they chose not to show off basic OS changes in the keynote since they don't really relate to the developer topics at all.

Watch your favorite blogs and news sites - I'm confident you'll see some hands-on articles and videos if they are in California this week."

Also:

"Yes - the units in the hands of RIM attendees are fully featured and will show off a lot of the new apps and functionality. We've held a few things back (some were not ready for demo yet and some we're keeping secret until later).

I'm working on getting an exact list of what's being spoken about on the floor so I can post it here and we can discuss "
    chrism_scotland likes this.
    10-18-11 03:12 PM
    Watch your favorite blogs and news sites - I'm confident you'll see some hands-on articles and videos if they are in California this week."
    Now this I doubt, other than particular blogs. Engadget basically mentioned the keynote + devcon opening in passing and just linked to another site.

I wouldn't expect much better from BGR either.
    10-18-11 03:13 PM
    DEV CON. conference for developers. Happy developers = happy PB owners

I still want good news and still waiting anxiously....but learning about patience
    10-18-11 03:18 PM
    Engadget basically mentioned the keynote + devcon opening in passing and just linked to another site.
    Engadget had a live blog of the event and was more polished than the CrackBerry coverage.
    10-18-11 03:27 PM
    I suspect that they chose not to show off basic OS changes in the keynote since they don't really relate to the developer topics at all.
    Yeah� "Hey developers, here's a bunch of tools for you to develop with for the new BBX OS! And here's a nice Android "Repackager"! By the way, there's no telling exactly when customers will actually be able to download those sweet apps you make, cuz we're not officially announcing anything 2.0-related for the end user, and have nothing to say about when the new phones will be out. Also, we're not going to mention or show any of the new features during the massive press event. After all, that may make people want to buy the phones and tablets that your future apps will run on�"
    10-18-11 03:28 PM
    All i have to say it's FIRST day of the Blackberry Developers Convention!! And what i say watching that was a bunch of great tools for our developers to be exited about! They now have the tools needed to create the apps so many of you have been crying about. They also are getting the technology in software that will allow them to create not just simple apps but fully animated programs.

I feel this first day was very exciting in many ways. They also released the tool kit needed for all of you who bought a Playbook and screaming for android apps, but i'm sure that's not good enough either. If you watched and listened for a BBX/OS2.0 release date, you were watching for the WRONG THING! Besides if RIM did release 2.0 today, half you would still cry about it because the apps aren't there, if they wait for a apps in the market you'll whine and cry about that. Just give it a rest and be happy with what you saw TODAY!

Sorry for my rant, just get tired of all the crying for the same reason. If you thought v2.0 was dropping today "OFFICIALLY" you should have paid more attention to every other post on these forums.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-18-11 03:29 PM
    Sorry for my rant, just get tired of all the crying for the same reason. If you thought v2.0 was dropping today "OFFICIALLY" you should have paid more attention to every other post on these forums.
    Actually it was a lot of the idiots on these forums that propagated the idea that OS2 was releasing today in the first place unfortunately...
    10-18-11 03:33 PM
    not even 1% of the planet are interested on this.that means fail.cant deliver on time.think RIM you are not apple.
    10-18-11 03:33 PM
    Not 1%? Are you sure?
    10-18-11 03:34 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD