I'd love to see the below as the specs for the BBX touch phones. I think RIM needs to hit well in all the benchmarks the phone will be put through, and should find hardware to help it make a good showing. Many of these are in the playbook. What would you like to see?

Touch/Torch

Screen
    4" (1)
    Super AMOLED Plus or
    HD Super AMOLED
    Gorilla Glass
    lipophobic coating

Processor
    OMAP 4470 (2)
    Qualcomm MSM8960 (3)
    Tegra 3, Kal-El (4)

RAM
    1 GB

HDD
    32 BG
    Micro
    Cloud

Camera
    3 MP Front facing
    8MP Rear facing
    1080p 30 fps full HD
    Auto focus
    Flash not too close

Casing
    Like 9900
    Carbon fibre
    Rubberized Plastic

DUAL mic

Quality Speaker

Battery
    Great Battery (5)

Thickness:
    less then or = .9 mm

Weight:
    Less then 130g

Sensors
    NFC
    6 axis gyroscope
    Magnetometere
    Accelerometer
    GPS
    Assisted GPS
    FM Radio

Network
    WIFI
    3G
    LTE
    HSPA+
    Blue tooth

Ports
    Micro USB
    Micro HDMI

(1) a 4" screen size or a similar aspect ratio of the playbook with a good screen, could allow the BBX phone to access all the apps available for the playboook. Allowing the phone to have thousands of apps out of the gate.

(2) Android's pick, Presently the playbook uses the OMAP 4430, while it is likely what we will see in the QNX phone, since there would be little need to code and test for a different processor. It would be better to make use of the 4470 which will run faster and more efficient. It also has a dedicated 2D graphics core freeing up the GPU.

(3) Window's pick, integrated 3g/LTE, NFC, FM band etc. It is also 28nm, it is efficient and low power but will be lighter on gpu. But as it is just making its way to manufacturer's now it would be a current chip for a QNX phone. Snapdragon is also the chip used in OS 7 devices.

(4) Nobody's pick at the moment. While the Tegra 2 had issues the Tegra 3, will be faster with better GPU. But may not be right for RIM.

(5) Rumour has Apple choosing a battery 30% lighter and more powerful, but costs more. If there is a comparable battery I'd pay the extra cash for it.
    10-17-11 01:11 PM
    Sounds like you know what your talking about tech wise but i ask you this. Why re we catching up to Apple all the time. Why not lead? Why not a 5MP front and a 10-12 in the back? Apple has a 8MP in there's right now, which means iphone 5 time it'll be more. Currently BB has a 1.2 GH processor. How about like 2 (if its even made i unno). I'd add a little weight for a bigger and faster phone. Just my idea's
    10-17-11 02:52 PM
    There is no point in upping specs just to have the highest number. I don't need/want a 5 MP FFC just to video chat - thats borderline ridiculous.

RIM needs to make sure that the OS is polished and feature-rich. Megappixels is not the only measure of how good your camera is, and megahertz only measures the speed of the processor, not how well the phone actually runs.
    10-17-11 03:15 PM
    IF we are talking the perfect Launch BBX phone with Full touch screen

I'd like to see it

120mm x 66mm x 9.5mm
    Approximate weight 135g

The Screen should be 3.8-4" and it should have a swiping bezel like the PlayBook has
    The Screen should be around
    600 x 1024 (I'd like a 280ish PPI)

I would like to see 8MP AutoFocus for the Primary Camera 3MP FFC with a LED flash
    Ideally RIM would focus on Sensor size, over MP count for the Camera to get high quality images

The I'd like to see the All touchscreen device include LTE even if it is a bit of a Battery hog, just include a 1550 mAh battery

NFC Support, and BT 3.0 Support, and USB 3.0 Support are all Must haves.

MicroUSB, and MicroHDMI ports would be a given, this is a MINI PlayBook device.

I would like the Body to be very PlayBook looking, I don't need the stainless band around it, and the reducing antennae strength isn't worth the look, the PlayBook looks sharp.

I think the OS will be what REALLY can make them shine, RIM needs to have a BBX Theme Developer Kit,
    I would like to See RIM try something fun with their UI, Include a few locations for docking maybe upto 3 widgets?
    I'd like to see Menu's that tap and open on the home screen, scrolling left to right rather than up and down, I suck at graphics so I'm sure that what I am envisioning wont be what people are thinking so I wont go into it.
    I'd like to See RIM actually allow split screen!
    it would be awesome to have my Excel file open in half the screen and my email on the other half with landscape keyboard for typing.

I would like to see RIM have Native installed
    BlackBerry Travel ( needs some improvements)
    BlackBerry Protect (Needs a more detailed set up screen)
    Documents to go Premium ( improved Excel / Powerpoint support)
    BlackBerry Bridge (Promote the PlayBook, from within the device!)
    BlackBerry MAP's with Turn by Turn Navigation
    BBM Music + 1 Month free subscription
    Wikitude

RIM also would need to push this phone out with NEW features on the BlackBerry Internet Service, possibly Cloud storage, and device management (maybe through BlackBerry protect), Maybe a Cloud based Contact manager / Calendar manager so you can share them with your friends/family, Publish Calendars for viewing, and Maybe a Printing service for sending files to Printing partners to pick up Like Staples, or SNAPFISH

A BlackBerry is more than the hardware in your hand, and other devices are becoming the same, RIM needs to make sure everything about owning a BlackBerry is better in 2012 than it was in previous years
    shebmiller, dadymon and 00stryder like this.
    10-17-11 04:37 PM
    @Crackberry torch

The OMAP 4470 and Snapdragon MSM8960, are the most advanced processors from their respective companies released early 2012, the next processors from them won't be out till Fall 2012. The OMAP is a 1.8 Ghz. Tegra 3 has more cores, but while consumers seemed keen on it, manufacturers haven't leant towards them. Tegra 2 had alot of issues.

I think a high quality 8mp, is better than 12mp phone camera. More megapixels don't equate better pics and are more expensive. They also take up a lot more memory, and you would likely use WIFI to send them to someone. But I understand where you are coming from. Many front facing camera's are .3 mp, 3 mp is pretty good.

@deRusett

I agree with most of what you said. Though I'd like to see the device a bit thinner. The camera info I whole heartily agree with. And if they could make the phone take pics quicker that would be great as well. The playbook camera is a 3:5 and does great HD vid, but has low light issues and pics aren't quite as good.

We know a newstand is coming to BB, I would like to see BB Music and Video. Those three I would make a lot of purchases from. And of course a lot of TAT. I like the cloud contact management. I could also go for a good photo video editor built in, maybe incorporating the postcard app TAT did.

They probably won't make it too playbook like though. Maybe rubberized plastic, but given the issue with Quanta and Amazon using the playbook design. I don't know how RIM didn't own the design rights, even if Quanta designed it for them. They may need to make changes to the design so they can own the design.
    Last edited by Huot; 10-17-11 at 06:26 PM.
    10-17-11 06:22 PM
    Here is what I want to see.

1. better than iPhone 4s in every possible way. nuff said
    10-17-11 06:28 PM
    @Crackberry torch

I agree with most of what you said. Though I'd like to see the device a bit thinner. The camera info I whole heartily agree with. And if they could make the phone take pics quicker that would be great as well. The playbook camera is a 3:5 and does great HD vid, but has low light issues and pics aren't quite as good.

We know a newstand is coming to BB, I would like to see BB Music and Video. Those three I would make a lot of purchases from. And of course a lot of TAT. I like the cloud contact management. I could also go for a good photo video editor built in, maybe incorporating the postcard app TAT did.

They probably won't make it too playbook like though. Maybe rubberized plastic, but given the issue with Quanta and Amazon using the playbook design. I don't know how RIM didn't own the design rights, even if Quanta designed it for them. They may need to make changes to the design so they can own the design.
    I would be willing to take a little more thickness of 9.5mm with tapering edges like the 9900, Audio Jack on the top, for slightly longer battery life and a quality Autofocus camera and flash, when making the device you have to pack a lot in, we've got our 5 button's which is more than any other phone iPhone having 1, Samsung having 3, that takes up some space, having the sensors for bezel gestures, NFC, Bigger CMOS, things really start getting full in the body, I really don't want to see something with as big of footprint as the Samsung Galaxy II, but with similar components plugged into it, you've got to take some thickness,

also IMO LONG periods holding a phone in one hand too thin gets painful I NEEDED a case on my Torch for long typing sessions when they were getting into the 1h of typing
    10-17-11 06:58 PM

Not even CLOSE to "nuff said"

How one defines better is subjective.
    Hardware only?
    Interface? in what way?
    10-17-11 07:01 PM
    Not even CLOSE to "nuff said"

How one defines better is subjective.
    Hardware only?
    Interface? in what way?
    i have to agree a smooth os and device like the 9790 is supposed to b would b good for me and cutting edge hardware
    10-17-11 07:07 PM
    Some great ideas here. The additions of BB Newstand, BBM Music, BB Video, along with the roster of BB Travel, Blackberry News, Gist, Jaycut, screen swipes, widgets, updated social feeds, dual-core processors, 4"+ high-resolution screen, and all the other items man have mentioned here...... It leaves you feeling very hopeful for DevCon!

You guys should also have a look at Bongs' updated work here: (http://forums.crackberry.com/general...morrow-660696/)

He's kind of laid the groundwork for what we might be able to expect from BBX design-wise.... Really liking his work so far, and am sure RIM will be able to both match and exceed it with BBX.
    Last edited by visceralberry; 10-18-11 at 04:22 AM.
    meganVee likes this.
    10-17-11 10:34 PM
    Did they say an approximate date for release of the new phones? I am impatiently holding out as long as possible waiting for these.
    10-20-11 08:28 AM
    it's gonna be atleast april before these things show up I'm sure. I went ahead and just bought a 9850 and I'll buy the QNX phone when it releases.
    10-20-11 08:48 AM
    Yeah, I believe they said early first quarter. But I don't see a device release till April. They will use their big event.
    10-20-11 12:59 PM
    With news that the screen size etc will be the same on the phone to match the playbook, it confirms the use playbook apps on it. But it also may confirm swipe gestures on the phone as well. After all the apps use swipe for menu. Unless they stick a Menu button on the device to bring down the menu.

Saw Windows 8 has the browser address bar appear only on swipe. This looks like a great idea. Not having the address bar on the screen all the time would mean more room for browsing space especially on a phone and even the 7" playbook. What do you think?
    Last edited by Huot; 11-10-11 at 10:21 PM.
    11-10-11 08:57 PM
    I want it to have insane battery life. All the complaints about the Bold 9900 battery life are starting to get old, so RIM don`t cheap out on battery this time around!
    eclipse33 likes this.
    11-11-11 12:22 PM
    I want it to have insane battery life. All the complaints about the Bold 9900 battery life are starting to get old, so RIM don`t cheap out on battery this time around!
    RIM won't cheap out on the battery, but you have to realize that all the features we want take more power than a traditional non-touchscreen candy bar styled device. If you can go a full day with use, that's good enough for me.
    11-11-11 12:59 PM
    As for looks: I'm perfectly happy with something that is half the size of the PlayBook

But for camera: 5-8mp rear, but with super advanced optics so the image comes out crystal clear 95% of the time, without having to hold the device rigidly still or have perfect lighting conditions.

After that: I don't care. I believe I will be using my 9360 until my contract is up for renewal.
    11-11-11 01:06 PM
    wow i cant believe you typed all that back in october 2010, that is the specs of the ipad 3 and iphone 4s put together really....so dont look good if your prediction for BB is what Apple have already done....?
    03-09-12 08:37 AM

There are plenty of devices out that are already better than the i4s so I don't think that is an accurate benchmark.

Now if we were talking about a device that was coming out prior to June 30 the specs below would be the bare minimum.

Specs
    GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
    LTE 700 / 1700
    WCDMA 850 / 1900 / 2100
    Weight 4.5 oz (128 g)
    Dimensions 5.3" x 2.75" x 0.35" (135 x 70 x 8.9 mm)
    1800 mAh LiIon
    Display Type: LCD (Color TFT/TFD)
    Resolution: 720 x 1280 pixels
    4.7" diagonal
    Processor 1.5 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 MSM8960
    dual-core
    Memory 16 GB internal storage, raw hardware
    12.1 GB internal storage, available to user
    1 GB RAM
    GPS / Location Type: A-GPS
    NFC Yes
    Bluetooth version 4.0
    Mobile Hotspot Yes
    USB micro-USB connector
    Wi-Fi Version(s): 802.11 a,b,g,n
    Camera Resolution: 8+ megapixel
    DLNA Yes
    Front-Facing Camera Resolution: 1.3-megapixel
    can record HD video
    Streaming Video Yes
    TV Output HDMI via MHL
    Video Capture Resolution: 1080p HD

Now if those look familiar its because I copied those specs from the HTC One X which I have been testing for the last week. Now there are a couple items about the HTC I wish were included:

Removable battery
    MicroSD slot HC capable

Now we know the BBX devices won't be out for a while so IMO this is the min acceptable to get them "leading" again rather than following:

2.0 GHz Dual core processor
    32 GB internal storage (sorry but if they can put it on a microSD chip then there is no excuse for not putting it on the phone.)
    4 GB Ram
    12+ MP Camera
    5+ MP FF Camera
    Micro HDMI
    2000 maH battery
    complete ability to run BB and/or Android apps

The OS has to rock solid immediately. We can't have a debacle like we did with the Playbook where we have to wait ten months after device release to get an OS that makes the device fully functional.

RIM really only has one more shot at the smartphone market (in the US at least.) and they have to come to the table with a device that changes the game in the same way that Apple changed the industry in 2007 with the initial iPhone launch...

PG
    03-10-12 11:49 AM
    There are plenty of devices out that are already better than the i4s so I don't think that is an accurate benchmark.

Now if we were talking about a device that was coming out prior to June 30 the specs below would be the bare minimum.

Specs
    GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
    LTE 700 / 1700
    WCDMA 850 / 1900 / 2100
    Weight 4.5 oz (128 g)
    Dimensions 5.3" x 2.75" x 0.35" (135 x 70 x 8.9 mm)
    1800 mAh LiIon
    Display Type: LCD (Color TFT/TFD)
    Resolution: 720 x 1280 pixels
    4.7" diagonal
    Processor 1.5 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 MSM8960
    dual-core
    Memory 16 GB internal storage, raw hardware
    12.1 GB internal storage, available to user
    1 GB RAM
    GPS / Location Type: A-GPS
    NFC Yes
    Bluetooth version 4.0
    Mobile Hotspot Yes
    USB micro-USB connector
    Wi-Fi Version(s): 802.11 a,b,g,n
    Camera Resolution: 8+ megapixel
    DLNA Yes
    Front-Facing Camera Resolution: 1.3-megapixel
    can record HD video
    Streaming Video Yes
    TV Output HDMI via MHL
    Video Capture Resolution: 1080p HD

Now if those look familiar its because I copied those specs from the HTC One X which I have been testing for the last week. Now there are a couple items about the HTC I wish were included:

Removable battery
    MicroSD slot HC capable

Now we know the BBX devices won't be out for a while so IMO this is the min acceptable to get them "leading" again rather than following:

2.0 GHz Dual core processor
    32 GB internal storage (sorry but if they can put it on a microSD chip then there is no excuse for not putting it on the phone.)
    4 GB Ram
    12+ MP Camera
    5+ MP FF Camera
    Micro HDMI
    2000 maH battery
    complete ability to run BB and/or Android apps

The OS has to rock solid immediately. We can't have a debacle like we did with the Playbook where we have to wait ten months after device release to get an OS that makes the device fully functional.

RIM really only has one more shot at the smartphone market (in the US at least.) and they have to come to the table with a device that changes the game in the same way that Apple changed the industry in 2007 with the initial iPhone launch...

PG
    I would revise my previous desires because of technology changes, but I certainly think making a device like you are saying would be a mistake,

the phablet market is not the market RIM needs to launch into, they need a great, 3.8-4" screen, not a 4.5-5" screen,
    They need to keep the traditional removable battery, which will ad half a mm of device thickness,
    I would like to see them do 16-32GB of intenal storage as well, though I wonder the heat and power implications of the on board storage vs giving me SDXC support.
    03-10-12 01:36 PM
    I would revise my previous desires because of technology changes, but I certainly think making a device like you are saying would be a mistake,

the phablet market is not the market RIM needs to launch into, they need a great, 3.8-4" screen, not a 4.5-5" screen,
    They need to keep the traditional removable battery, which will ad half a mm of device thickness,
    I would like to see them do 16-32GB of intenal storage as well, though I wonder the heat and power implications of the on board storage vs giving me SDXC support.
    The HTC One X is not a phablet, it is nearly the same width as a 9900.

The Samsung Note is a phablet with huge dimensions of 5.78" x 3.27" x 0.38" (147 x 83 x 9.7 mm). While I grant you it is slightly taller than most phones its width is comparable to many other phones already out.

Samsung Galaxy S - 4.8" x 2.48" x 0.46" (122 x 63 x 11.7 mm)
    HTC One X - 5.3" x 2.75" x 0.35" (135 x 70 x 8.9 mm)
    HTC Vivid - 5.07" x 2.64" x 0.44" (129 x 67 x 11.2 mm)
    HTC Inspire - 4.8" x 2.68" x 0.46" (122 x 68 x 11.8 mm)
    Blackberry 9900 - 4.53" x 2.6" x 0.41" (115 x 66 x 10.5 mm)

The other item to keep in mind is that this is a general size and form that most consumers want today. While most of us Blackberry faithful like the traditional berry and 9900 form, the vast majority of consumers (US) don't like the current blackberry design and prefer the slab touchscreen device and the 9860 design is just too small.

PG
    03-11-12 02:18 PM
    The HTC One X is not a phablet, it is nearly the same width as a 9900.

The Samsung Note is a phablet with huge dimensions of 5.78" x 3.27" x 0.38" (147 x 83 x 9.7 mm). While I grant you it is slightly taller than most phones its width is comparable to many other phones already out.

Samsung Galaxy S - 4.8" x 2.48" x 0.46" (122 x 63 x 11.7 mm)
    HTC One X - 5.3" x 2.75" x 0.35" (135 x 70 x 8.9 mm)
    HTC Vivid - 5.07" x 2.64" x 0.44" (129 x 67 x 11.2 mm)
    HTC Inspire - 4.8" x 2.68" x 0.46" (122 x 68 x 11.8 mm)
    Blackberry 9900 - 4.53" x 2.6" x 0.41" (115 x 66 x 10.5 mm)

The other item to keep in mind is that this is a general size and form that most consumers want today. While most of us Blackberry faithful like the traditional berry and 9900 form, the vast majority of consumers (US) don't like the current blackberry design and prefer the slab touchscreen device and the 9860 design is just too small.

PG
    What do you mean "nearly the same size as the 9900"
    you're about 18% taller, and 6% wider, that's a huge footprint increase on the already large 9900 frame

the #1 selling phone in the US market is still the iPhone 4 @ about 115mm x 59mm x 9.3mm so that form factor size is still appealing, I'd like to see RIM push it a TINY bit, to around the 120 x 66 of the HTC Aspire / Samsung G2 but anything bigger no longer fits in a shirt breast pocket, nor tucks comfortably inside a suit jacket pocket.

RIM's 9860 could make better use of it's screen size, and needs a better body, moving forward, as it doesn't really have the sex appeal look to it, but the 3.7 screen size increased to 3.9ish with the slight width increase would make it far more appealing and still a good phone for actual mobile users, RIM can't get too close to having a phone that is the same as the PlayBook

that is where Apple is smart not having a 7" Tablet,
    03-12-12 10:12 PM
    Not much to say for me. It doesn't really take the new BB10 phone to be better than the iphone for me to stick around. The bold 9930 isn't as good as the iphone in specs, *didn't say the phone isn't as good*, but I still have it as well as many people here.

If I like it, it would be in my hand, just like the bold.
    03-14-12 06:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD