I was in Walmart on Saturday night, my wife and I bumped into a relative of hers. After some talking I wanted to check the CFL scores. I get my iPhone 4 out, all that was showing in the antennae was 1 bar. I tried a couple of different apps such as the Score and CFL mobile to avail, the iPhone wasn't letting me connect on 3G. My wife's uncle takes out his ancient looking Blackberry Curve, tells me 'full bars' and sure enough was on the internet within seconds showing the score we were looking for.

Just goes to show that it's not always about quantity but quality.
    10-17-11 09:30 AM
    I am wondering if it had anything to do with the strength of the carrier's signal, and not the actuall device? Are both devices with the same carrier?
    10-17-11 09:34 AM
    Thats funny Wal-Mart always messes with my coverage whenever I am in the store......
    10-17-11 09:35 AM
    GSM phones get better signal inside buildings. For some reason, CDMA doesn't have good building penetration. I used to sell VZW, AT&T, Sprint. The VZW phones I always had to take in the back near a door to activate. It was annoying.
    10-17-11 09:38 AM
    Very interesting. The problem is the phone may be GSM. Yes it kinda outperformed it but not exactly. It was just that the BB was and still is more superior than the iPhone at signal. iphone cant beat BB at that.
    10-17-11 09:45 AM
    But, I will say that my new 4S has no signal issues in the same wal-mart the dual antenna is pretty nice.
    10-17-11 09:55 AM
    I was in Walmart on Saturday night, my wife and I bumped into a relative of hers. After some talking I wanted to check the CFL scores. I get my iPhone 4 out, all that was showing in the antennae was 1 bar. I tried a couple of different apps such as the Score and CFL mobile to avail, the iPhone wasn't letting me connect on 3G. My wife's uncle takes out his ancient looking Blackberry Curve, tells me 'full bars' and sure enough was on the internet within seconds showing the score we were looking for.

The ancient curve probably didn't do 3G.
    10-17-11 10:24 AM
    But, I will say that my new 4S has no signal issues in the same wal-mart the dual antenna is pretty nice.
    I am finding the call quality on my 4s better than it was on my 9700.
    10-17-11 10:25 AM

Hmmm..you sure it was a few seconds? With a Curve? You all probably went and had something to eat, and did some shopping while it was "Loading"

J/k..it definately would've been due to the reception..which by the way..is definately one of the things RIM does right
    anon(4018671) likes this.
    10-17-11 10:28 AM
    Wow how many fanbois is that, defending apple from this one mans little story (good story). Take it for for what it is people and relax. This type of emotion makes it clear, all are not happy in fanboi land!
    10-17-11 10:52 AM
    GSM phones get better signal inside buildings. For some reason, CDMA doesn't have good building penetration. I used to sell VZW, AT&T, Sprint. The VZW phones I always had to take in the back near a door to activate. It was annoying.
    My boss has always had a BlackBerry and he is with Verizon. I have been with ATT but his reception was always better inside buildings than I had back when I had the Blackjack2 and the Jack. In fact when my daughter went into labor, her husband had to call my boss to get ahold of me. We were in the basement of a mega church hosting a meal. He had bars...I got no reception. I would be in a Target store and get no reception unless I was up by the front door. However since I have switched to a BlackBerry, I get much better reception indoors and out of doors.
    10-17-11 11:06 AM
    yep normal 3G is like that but i have found the LTE signal to be very strong and tons better.
    10-17-11 11:17 AM
    Hmmm..you sure it was a few seconds? With a Curve? You all probably went and had something to eat, and did some shopping while it was "Loading"

J/k..it definately would've been due to the reception..which by the way..is definately one of the things RIM does right
    yeah its sad that the few seconds were in geologic time
    10-17-11 11:36 AM

It's not any news that iPhone 4 antenna is poor in design and has reception issues. Any mobile device including BB will more than likely has better cellular reception. I find it hard to believe that anyone can get on the internet within seconds on an old curve. I had a curve 8320 and it was painfully slow to do anything on it. The slowest thing it did was to get on the internet. The old curve has absolutely no reedeming qualities and i"ll take an iPhone 4 over it any day even with reception issues.

Why not do the same comparison with the 4S (which sold 4 million units over the weekend) and get back to us?
    Last edited by JD914; 10-17-11 at 12:14 PM.
    10-17-11 12:02 PM
    I am going with the building excuse with my 9930 and my previous Tour.

When I am in any metal or steel bldg be it Walmart or work I don't get as good reception as i do at home. I have 2 antena towers right across from work andthe same at home so IMO I think it is the the stell in the bldgs.

Many new companies specifically construct their bldgs with the technology to use cell phones and get strong signals so that I just thought I would throw in especially hospitals where Doctors always have to be gotten in touch with over their cell phones.
    10-17-11 12:02 PM
    I honestly don't know what carrier the blackberry was on. I know my iPhone 4 is with Telus. I also know they are in the process of upgrading their towers and from the salesperson at Telus, it won't be complete until spring of 2012.

Yes, I watched the screen load up on the Curve it was pretty quick.

I am not sure how to tell whether I have a CDMA, or HSPA phone. I have been really debating on going back to a blackberry because of the better reception they are known for. When I had a Torch there was only one incident where I didn't get good reception.

The dilemma is whether to trade the iPhone 4 for a Bold 9900 which I have the opportunity to do, or sell it and go with a cheaper Curve 9360.
    Last edited by blackhawksfan75; 10-17-11 at 12:21 PM.
    10-17-11 12:18 PM
    I honestly don't know what carrier the blackberry was on. I know my iPhone 4 is with Telus. I also know they are in the process of upgrading their towers and from the salesperson at Telus, it won't be complete until spring of 2012.

Yes, I watched the screen load up on the Curve it was pretty quick.

I am not sure how to tell whether I have a CDMA, or HSPA phone. I have been really debating on going back to a blackberry because of the better reception they are known for. When I had a Torch there was only one incident where I didn't get good reception.

The dilemma is whether to trade the iPhone 4 for a Bold 9900 which I have the opportunity to do, or sell it and go with a cheaper Curve 9360.
    I think the main price difference between the 9900 and the Curves is in the plans. If you are going to be on a plan that costs more than $50/month, the price difference is generally only about $100 so getting the 9900 is highly recommended. However, if you are going to be on a cheaper price plan they may not offer you the 9900. Since you are on iPhone already, my guess is you are on a pretty substantial plan already, so 9900 is probably the way to go.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-11 04:32 AM
    I've heard the signal on the 4S is much better than all previous iPhones...
    10-18-11 06:58 PM
    I've always experienced it the other way around.

I even tested it once. Called my friend within a big building using my Sprint phone; he had ATT. We were standing right next to each other and he couldn't get a strong signal, his phone kept cutting in and out while I had 4 bars. Hung up, called a landline, and I had a clear conversation with the person on the other end...
    10-18-11 11:43 PM
    thats because its bloody ATT
    10-18-11 11:50 PM
    Dual antenna do make a difference, between my HTC Desire and LG Optimus One (which has the dual antenna) I had much more consistent connection with the LG but I prefer the Desire for a lot of reasons.

When my sister and I were using CDMA Curves some years ago, my sister had better signal in office buildings than I did, she's on Bell and I'm on Telus. HSPA would be the same because Bell and Telus share the same HSPA network.
    10-19-11 06:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD