I was getting tired of being limited to the small number of apps I could use due to the memory leak on OS 6, and the way it ended up deleting my messages when it ran out of memory was the last straw, so I went back to OS 5.

Now running 5.0.0.979 from AT&T, I'm having a few issues (the main one is that I've noticed that the battery reading isn't correct and my BlackBerry ends up suddenly turning off when it shows it has a fair amount of juice left).

I know that 5.0.0.1014 is the latest one out there for the 9700 when it comes to OS 5, however I read some bad reviews on it so I'm a tad hesitant to go to it.

So with that in mind, can anyone recommend which ver of OS 5 on the 9700 runs with the least amount of issues? Thank you in advance :-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-16-11 01:05 AM
    862 has been running on my wife's 9700 for over a year now with no problems at all.

It's the OS that I used last year before I switched to OS6. It certainly was very solid. I often wonder if I should go back like you but I do like OS6 and so far have lived with the odd issues.

Alan.

10-16-11 05:55 AM
    I've been running .862 without any issues.
    10-16-11 02:38 PM
    I appreciate it, I'll downgrade to .862 shortly. Thank you again :-)
    10-16-11 02:41 PM
    Many many threads on this. Going back to .862 is a good idea.

10-16-11 05:58 PM
    .862 seems like a winner but if i remember correctly I've tried searching for it and couldn't find it anymore. Anyone have a working link?
    10-20-11 08:58 AM
    I appreciate everyone's feedback, but I went back to .862 and my BB once again died without any warning yesterday :-S Has anyone else running this OS been experiencing this issue? I remember I was experiencing it on a regular basis before upgrading to OS 6, and now that I'm back on 5, the issue seems to be back for me :-(

.862 seems like a winner but if i remember correctly I've tried searching for it and couldn't find it anymore. Anyone have a working link?
    I got my copy here: http://support.vodafone.de/publicfil...A5.0.0.862.exe
    10-20-11 09:54 AM
    Thanks. I appreciate it.
    10-20-11 10:05 AM
    thanks. I was finding something like this. How is going with .862? i will downgrade to .862 now
    11-11-11 07:59 AM
    As I mentioned above, I'm still having issues with my BB dying before the batt level getting anywhere near 0% with .862, so I'm likely going to try an older one and see if it's any better. There's something wrong with the way it reads the batt level in my experience when it's been running for a few days, after having been charged a few times.

11-11-11 11:10 AM
    I'm still very happy with .714. Give that one a try.
    11-11-11 01:16 PM
    +1. .714 has been stable and fast for me for years. Only issue is that many web pages are too large to load, but that may not be OS dependant.

11-12-11 10:06 AM
    Been using .680 and am happy with it.

Hate the memory leaks from os 6... wont upgrade again
    11-12-11 10:15 AM
    running almost a year .979 never any issue.
    11-12-11 11:17 AM
    Why not try shrinking an OS 6 build?

I'm personally using 615 base with B@stard hybrid 20111102. I know a lot of people are scared of hybrids / shrinking, but seriously it runs absolutely amazingly!
    11-12-11 07:44 PM
    I used .979 for ages aswell, best OS5 for me.
    joju58 likes this.
    11-15-11 03:15 PM
    I'm still very happy with .714. Give that one a try.
    +1. .714 has been stable and fast for me for years. Only issue is that many web pages are too large to load, but that may not be OS dependant.
    This will definitely be the next one I try, as I seem to have nothing but problems with .862 as it even rebooted my BB today when I tried turning off all my connections, let alone the battery misreading problem that's happening on a regular basis, plus batt life sucks on it lately (although that could be due to an app I've recently installed).

Been using .680 and am happy with it.

Hate the memory leaks from os 6... wont upgrade again
    I also hate the mem leaks, and .680 will be the next one on my list to try if .714 doesn't work well for me :-D

It's odd that certain vers of the OS works fine for some but not for others. I had probs with it though, so I'm moving on from that one, going backwards :-)

Why not try shrinking an OS 6 build?

I'm personally using 615 base with B@stard hybrid 20111102. I know a lot of people are scared of hybrids / shrinking, but seriously it runs absolutely amazingly!
    I've tried shrinking OS 6, and the memory leaks was still horrible. Not only did I have no room for all the apps I wanted, but it ended up deleting all my e-mails in attempt to save memory, which was the straw that broke the camel's back. There are very few instances I miss OS 6, especially considering there are features that were removed from 6 that make 5 better (such as WAP browser that worked during the BIS outage, browser emulation, certain webpages working better on the OS 5 browser, to name a few).
    11-22-11 04:22 PM
    If you've tried a few versions of OS and you still get that battery problem, then try to replace your battery (borrow a battery from your friend's BlackBerry, that way you do double check: which is the problem, your BlackBerry or your battery?)

I personally have been using 979 hybrid (forgot which one, though, it uses the 938 radio) and my BlackBerry runs as smooth as I can hope. It probably has something to do with the BatteryBooster and Memory Booster apps that I installed, but I can browse all day long and generally do anything and my BlackBerry is just fine.

Contrary to you, I'm thinking of upgrading to OS6. WebKit is the major reason, but if it doesn't support column view for cracked.com, I'll switch back

11-22-11 06:10 PM
    If you've tried a few versions of OS and you still get that battery problem, then try to replace your battery (borrow a battery from your friend's BlackBerry, that way you do double check: which is the problem, your BlackBerry or your battery?)

I personally have been using 979 hybrid (forgot which one, though, it uses the 938 radio) and my BlackBerry runs as smooth as I can hope. It probably has something to do with the BatteryBooster and Memory Booster apps that I installed, but I can browse all day long and generally do anything and my BlackBerry is just fine.

Contrary to you, I'm thinking of upgrading to OS6. WebKit is the major reason, but if it doesn't support column view for cracked.com, I'll switch back
    It's funny you should mention trying another batt, as that was the first thing that came to mind when I was initially experiencing the issues in question, which was right before the first OS 6 leak for the 9700 came out. I did purchase another batt at the time (so I still have 2) and that didn't help. After upgrading to OS 6, that issue cleared.

I've got news for you in terms of column view: it's one of the things they got rid of in OS 6 altogether. So you'd have to use something like Opera in order to get column view on OS 6.

I've only tried a hybrid once and had issues with it. Perhaps I'll try the one previously mention (B@stard?) And see how it works for me.
    Last edited by Sashko; 11-22-11 at 10:54 PM.
    11-22-11 10:50 PM
    I just found my original thread on this issue, and it looks like it started for me as of .743, so .714 should resolve it. It also looks like I wasn't the only one experiencing the issues in question. You can find my thread in question here (grrr on not being able to fix the typo on the title): http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...turely-541978/

11-23-11 05:46 AM
    I appreciate everyone's feedback, but I went back to .862 and my BB once again died without any warning yesterday :-S Has anyone else running this OS been experiencing this issue? I remember I was experiencing it on a regular basis before upgrading to OS 6, and now that I'm back on 5, the issue seems to be back for me :-(

I got my copy here: http://support.vodafone.de/publicfil...A5.0.0.862.exe
    If this hasn't been answered before, my suggestion is try a new battery. I believe the battery is pootched. Similar issues were resolved with my gf's BB with a new battery. Once she replaced with an android device, I put her new battery into my 9700 and immediately noticed a substantial increase in battery time.

The problem is with batteries, they do have a limited lifespan. Also, they reduce slowly so one does not notice it. However, when the battery is replaced, wow. Just wow I found a $7 Blackberry Bold 9000 battery from Deal Extreme that works great.

Good luck.

Edit - I see you already tried that. The o/s in the range you are trying is stable, and with a new battery, I would hesitently suggest the device itself is starting to malfunction. Good luck, I do hope you find away to save her!
    Last edited by slushee; 11-23-11 at 10:54 AM.
    11-23-11 10:51 AM
    Edit - I see you already tried that. The o/s in the range you are trying is stable, and with a new battery, I would hesitently suggest the device itself is starting to malfunction. Good luck, I do hope you find away to save her!
    The thing is that it works fine with OS 6. BTW I also have another odd issue where I keep losing my BIS connection when with a certain provider (Bell & Virgin Mobile Canada which is also owned by Bell) while on OS 5. With 6, both of the issues do not occur. Maybe the prob is with my AT&T BlackBerry? I can attest to the fact that I've exchanged my 9700 once under warranty, and my loss of BIS connectivity with OS 5 seems to have returned on the replacement device (which BTW is no longer under warranty).
    11-23-11 12:21 PM
    i vote 9700jEastAsia PBr5.0.0 rel1655 PL5.1.0.177 A5.0.0.1014 - docomo
    11-23-11 09:43 PM
    i vote 9700jEastAsia PBr5.0.0 rel1655 PL5.1.0.177 A5.0.0.1014 - docomo
    I've been reading a lot of bad things in respect to that one though :-o I guess if all else fails, I could give it a go :-)

11-24-11 06:56 PM
    Guess I'm out of the loop because I didn't even realize that .1014 was out there! I've had .979 running on my 9700 for a while now & I've had no problems at all so I guess I'll just leave .1014 in the wind & stick with "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    11-30-11 10:24 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD