I was just wondering what some advantages were with Kindle over Kobo? I understand if someone has purchased a lot of books on their kindle they would want it on their PB. But i've only ever used Kobo and i'm happy with it. Is Kindle really better? Should I be excited at all?

Sorry if this was already a topic :/

Thanks guys!(and gals)
    10-15-11 11:14 PM
    Never owned a kindle but I must say that Kobo seems to work pretty good for me. I got some classics for free, The Communist Manifesto here I come!
    10-15-11 11:43 PM
    there are a lot more books to choose from with kindle! a lot more! thats why im hoping for a kindle app for the playbook
    10-16-11 12:43 AM
    the Kobo has a lot more freebies, and for Canadians it connects to Chapters.
    10-16-11 01:45 AM
    For most people it will come down to them already having Kindle books, if this isn't the case for you or you are somebody who never tends to reread their books then either would be fine.
    10-16-11 05:07 AM
    Kobo's prices are slightly better, but their selection sucks.
    10-16-11 08:25 AM
    Okay thats what I wanted to know, thanks!
    10-16-11 09:11 AM
    For me its the fact that Kindle has a larger inventory to choose from and the fact that I already have purchased many books from them. One other major disadvantage of Kobo is that it doesn't have a built-in dictionary/word lookup or the ability to make notes.
    10-16-11 11:02 AM
    I love the Kobo app. Works flawlessly. Tons of book options and super smooth page scrolling. Perfect
    10-16-11 11:05 AM
    not sure about kobo, but kindle will synch your reading across all your devices.
    10-16-11 03:18 PM
    Never owned a kindle but I must say that Kobo seems to work pretty good for me. I got some classics for free, The Communist Manifesto here I come!
    I just bought the real book english version new for 2.95� at the annual book fare :-)
    10-16-11 04:47 PM
    not sure about kobo, but kindle will synch your reading across all your devices.
    Kobo claims to do this as well.. Of course, I can't tell because their app for my Torch 9800 just gives me a white screen when I open a book. I have reported the issue to Kobo and they say they are working on and it will be fixed in the next release..
    10-16-11 05:35 PM
    I already had the Kobo e-reader when I got my Playbook, so I only use the Kobo app once in a while. That said, I like having my reading materials synchronized, including my reading progress. The Kobo store is not as big as Amazon, but it does have a reasonable selection and good prices - and a freebies section! Also, it is possible to purchase Kindle books, convert them to ePub, and sideload to the Kobo and Playbook. I don't know if the Kindle can accommodate other formats.
    10-16-11 05:56 PM
    I already had the Kobo e-reader when I got my Playbook, so I only use the Kobo app once in a while. That said, I like having my reading materials synchronized, including my reading progress. The Kobo store is not as big as Amazon, but it does have a reasonable selection and good prices - and a freebies section! Also, it is possible to purchase Kindle books, convert them to ePub, and sideload to the Kobo and Playbook. I don't know if the Kindle can accommodate other formats.
    Are you telling me you can SIDELOAD epubs to the KOBO APP on the PLAYBOOK ????
    10-16-11 08:13 PM
    The kobo books are stored on the playbook.
    The kindle cloud reader they are not which saves space even if you have 64gb playbook. No point in wasting space if you can store it in the cloud.

One thing I don't understand is on the kindle cloud reader it downloads the content ... Why, if its stored in the cloud .

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    kidkamel likes this.
    10-16-11 08:20 PM
    The kobo books are stored on the playbook.
    The kindle cloud reader they are not which saves space even if you have 64gb playbook. No point in wasting space if you can store it in the cloud.

One thing I don't understand is on the kindle cloud reader it downloads the content ... Why, if its stored in the cloud .

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    ...so you can read it.
    10-17-11 01:20 AM
    Because you can't read a book stored in the cloud while you are in the clouds... i.e. on a plane. No internet access typically.
    i-love likes this.
    10-17-11 06:47 AM
    The Cloud Reader stores content in the browser cache. As a result, the cache will occasionally fill up and the browser will delete to make space for more browsing. When this happens, you'll be asked to sign into the Cloud Reader again. As long as you close a book when you're done reading, this isn't a problem. You sign in again and pick up where you left off.

The "download and pin" option causes the book icon to display strangely on the PB, so don't use it. It's pointless anyway, since the book is downloaded to the browser cache. This option appears to be meant for the Safari or Chrome browsers, for offline access.
    10-17-11 10:11 AM
    Are you telling me you can SIDELOAD epubs to the KOBO APP on the PLAYBOOK ????
    Sorry, no. There are apps available in AppWorld - e.g. EpubPlayer - that will load and read EPUB files sideloaded on the Playbook. The Kobo app only shows books purchased from the Kobo store. A separate Kobo reader, as I was writing, allows both.
    11-23-11 12:42 PM
    ugh, what id give to get a nook app.
    11-23-11 08:13 PM
    ugh, what id give to get a nook app.
    You and me both.

Kobo if your lurking around here, and want to semi compete with kindle or nook, start selling magazines.

MAGAZINES.
    11-23-11 08:28 PM
    Is there anyway that I can transfer books bought on Kobo to Kindle which I was able to sideload successfully. I would continue to use Kobo but after the OS 2.0 it's not working properly
    02-29-12 09:50 AM
    I was just wondering what some advantages were with Kindle over Kobo? I understand if someone has purchased a lot of books on their kindle they would want it on their PB. But i've only ever used Kobo and i'm happy with it. Is Kindle really better? Should I be excited at all?

Sorry if this was already a topic :/

Thanks guys!(and gals)
    kobo every day.

nice straighforward ADE epub files.
    02-29-12 10:31 AM
    Kobo is quite good, especially for reading free books. I love reading it in the ladscape orientation.

02-29-12 11:48 AM
    Kindle has a far bigger free book selection and no e-reader app can beat its built-in New Oxford American Dictionary. Take that, Kobo!
    02-29-12 09:26 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD