Ok.. I know that there are other threads on when and where are the Kindle and Nook apps for the Playbook.. I even started one myself.. but I have made a new and promising discovery.

I'm sure I haven't been the only one to figure this out but just in case.. Here goes..

First of all, if you haven't gotten the "Book Reader for EPUB and Kindle books" app from the AppWorld, then get it.. it takes a very little getting used to but do read the "Helps" on it. It is only 99 cents.

Now the next thing that you will need is a program to remove the DRM from your Kindle and Nook files. I found this site that has a great program for doing just that. Unfortunately, you have to buy one for Kindle and one for Nook. But if you only use one or the other than you only need the one. You will find it here at this link with Windows and MAC versions. You can download the free version just to test it out. Or you may find one of your own. $30. Worth it if you have a lot of books already.
    eBook DRM removal - Remove epub DRM - Kindle drm remover - Digital Editions Converter

After breaking the DRM code, then it is just a matter of copying the file to your playbook and Importing it into the "Book Reader" app.

The only drawback to this method is that you can't buy books and download them to your Playbook directly from Nook or Kindle. But you will be able to read what books you do have already and purchase in the future.

If the Android App has then Kindle and Nook available for it then when it comes out, then you won't have to go through this process..

I do highly recommend getting the DRM code breaking software anyway because there are other advantages to having it, if you know what I mean!
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    10-15-11 08:52 PM
    When i saw the title to this topic i thought it would be some new news about either a nook or kindle app. Sadly i was let down, and told about methods i already knew.
    10-15-11 09:14 PM
    well, it was more for the people that didn't know
    10-15-11 09:59 PM
    Why use the playbook as an e-reader anyway? If you own a nook or kindle - use that.
    Altarocks and slbailey1 like this.
    10-15-11 10:30 PM
    i don't have a kindle or nook..
    10-15-11 10:46 PM
    or just buy a book on kobo. it works. amazing.
    10-15-11 10:48 PM
    well, for us guys that have already bought a bunch of books the Nook and don't want to pay twice for the same book.
    10-15-11 11:39 PM
    Kobo is a great app, it just doesn't have any of the books I'm after. I've had far to many 'Search shows 0 results' for my liking. I did also know about this procedure, but I've found the DRM removal process also removes a lot of the convenient formatting.
    10-15-11 11:49 PM
    The Amazon Cloud Reader website works great on the PlayBook if you use it in portrait orientation. And it has full Kindle functioning. And its free. And, and, and...
    Marshall91 likes this.
    10-16-11 12:56 AM
    The Amazon Cloud Reader website works great on the PlayBook if you use it in portrait orientation. And it has full Kindle functioning. And its free. And, and, and...
    Unfortunately, the last "and" is followed by "requires network connection." The advantage of a Kindle/Nook app would be functionality in the absence of a network connection.
    10-16-11 01:06 AM
    Thank you Vic and the others who have contributed to the 'how to's'.

I've got a Sony e-reader and there's no Sony app for blackberry, and also Calibre can't be downloaded to phone or playbook so that limits being able to read my e-books on the playbook.

I don't like using the Sony e-reader because it's too dark and the light (that comes with the cover) throws glare on the surface of the e-reader.
    10-16-11 01:35 AM
    Does the 'Removal Tool' work with e-books loaned from a public library?
    Does the Tool convert the file to a standard e-book without 'expiration date'? (The above website says it can be done, but does it work?)
    Last edited by mandony; 10-16-11 at 11:32 AM.
    10-16-11 11:25 AM
    Kobo is a great app, it just doesn't have any of the books I'm after. I've had far to many 'Search shows 0 results' for my liking. I did also know about this procedure, but I've found the DRM removal process also removes a lot of the convenient formatting.
    The program that I link to above for doing the DRM removal seems to work great and doesn't change any of the formatting. try the free version first and see if it works for you.. I found the "Book Reader" app the best, in my view, to use on your PB.

I also found KOBO to be limited on any of the books I searched for and I seem to have problems with the Kindle Cloud to not work as well either plus the wifi thing also.
    10-16-11 01:24 PM
    Does the 'Removal Tool' work with e-books loaned from a public library?
    Does the Tool convert the file to a standard e-book without 'expiration date'? (The above website says it can be done, but does it work?)
    I haven't tried it with Library books, so I don't know.. download the free version and try it out..
    10-16-11 01:26 PM
    Thank you Vic and the others who have contributed to the 'how to's'.

I've got a Sony e-reader and there's no Sony app for blackberry, and also Calibre can't be downloaded to phone or playbook so that limits being able to read my e-books on the playbook.

I don't like using the Sony e-reader because it's too dark and the light (that comes with the cover) throws glare on the surface of the e-reader.
    If you download the Sony app version from the above link then it should work fine. The have both MAc and Windows versions. Get the free version first and test it out. Then get the "Book Reader" app from AppWorld for 99 cents. I haven't had any problems reading all my e-books with it.
    eBook DRM removal - Remove epub DRM - Kindle drm remover - Digital Editions Converter
    Last edited by vicshannon; 10-16-11 at 01:30 PM.
    10-16-11 01:28 PM
    Have you tried PlayEpub? I'm using that but not sure how much better book reader for epub is, make a review!
    10-16-11 05:50 PM
    The Amazon Cloud Reader website works great on the PlayBook if you use it in portrait orientation. And it has full Kindle functioning.
    Unfortunately, it does not have full Kindle functioning. Maybe it will have it at some point, but at this time it doesn't.
    10-17-11 10:02 AM
    Just my opinion about Kobo: I dislike it a lot. Why? In regular printed books, kindle and Nook(and pretty much any ereader software), the text is justified. I cannot get a decent reading experience when the lines are all different sizes. Also, the ability to adjust page borders is available on other ereaders. The selection of books on Kobo is at least 40% less as compared to Nook and Amazon. Finally...the price of books is usually 30% or higher. Why RIM partnered with Kobo, I am unsure, but my guess is that Kobo is in trouble( in its competition with the top 2- Nook and Kindle) and thought RIM could help. Looking at the Kobo Reader, well, it is very sub-standard compared to the top 2-sales show this. Now that Amazon has lowered its ereader prices, the Kobo ereader, I envision, will die a death soon. That leaves Kobo bookstore and ereader app. Why would I want to pay more for books, have less selection and have a poor reding experience? That is just my opinion and others may love Kobo. I read about 10 books a month and sometimes as many as 15 if I take any decent vacation time.
    10-17-11 10:34 AM
    Have you tried PlayEpub? I'm using that but not sure how much better book reader for epub is, make a review!
    Book Reader is way better than PlayEpub IMO, check this thread out:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...aybook-638953/
    10-17-11 11:16 AM
    Oh for goodness sake.
    I have half a mind to flag this thread for deletion, but DRM removal isn't itself illegal so I'm not.

DO NOT BUY a tool to remove DRM people. For goodness sake, spend some time on Google.
    Install Python 2.7 (download from http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.7.2/python-2.7.2.msi for windows)
    Download this: DataFileHost
    And remove the DRM from your Kindle books with KindleBooks.pyw in the KindleBooks folder.

I didn't make any of this stuff, I just posted it for people so they won't get ripped off.
    $30, freaking a people. Comeon. The OP should be ashamed of himself.
    Install Python 2.7
    10-17-11 03:09 PM
    Unfortunately, it does not have full Kindle functioning. Maybe it will have it at some point, but at this time it doesn't.
    What does the Cloud Reader not do?
    10-17-11 03:11 PM
    Is nook has long storage battery?
    11-03-11 09:12 AM
    What does the Cloud Reader not do?
    The only drawback with using the kindle cloud reader system on the playbook that I have found...and i can live with this until a full app arrives... is that you have to have web access-either 3g or wifi before you can open your books. Once done it doesnt matter.. In other words, you cant be in a no signal zone and just open up a kindle book and read it like a kindle device can.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-03-11 09:26 AM
    The only drawback with using the kindle cloud reader system on the playbook that I have found...and i can live with this until a full app arrives... is that you have to have web access-either 3g or wifi before you can open your books. Once done it doesnt matter.. In other words, you cant be in a no signal zone and just open up a kindle book and read it like a kindle device can.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    And as of today - if you are a Prime member, you appear to lose out on the new "rental" option...
    11-03-11 09:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD