...but which Blackberry should i get? I first had a Curve 8900, then i had a Bold 9000. I like the look of the Torch, but apparently its not very good. Should i just go back to what im used to with the 9000, or get the torch, or maybe the new 9900?
    10-15-11 02:50 PM
    Bold 9900! Best keyboard on a phone to date!
    10-15-11 03:22 PM
    9900 no questions asked.
    10-15-11 03:27 PM
    Welcome back, I also left and returned after realizing BlackBerry has so many features we take for granted that really just don't quite work or work as well on other devices that admittedly have more bells and whistles.

I may be able to help a bit with the Torch vs. Bold discussion because I had a Torch and now have a Bold 9930.

First of all that does not mean the Bold is better and by no means does it mean the Torch is not that good. I happen to just love the physical keyboard so much that everything else does not matter but if you like to surf the web or watch videos the Torch has a slight advantage.

Here are the differences:
    Bold. Obviously has the better keyboard, has NFC, a controversial camera (not AF)-I actually like it and for most pictures the speed of capture is better.

Torch. Better screen (although not as much as the specs would suggest - especially in portrait mode it is actually smaller), AF camera - it is a question of preference and since I have three fast moving and restless kids I like the speed better than the AF. However, if taking pictures of small print or bar codes are a requirement then the AF is better.

I did not think I would even use the touch screen and I still much rather type on a real keyboard but I did find that touching an icon is simply more efficient than using a menu or trackpad to get to it. To me BlackBerry is all about efficiency so the touch screen is welcome for selecting icons but for e-mail and typing the physical keyboard is just way better in my view.

NFC is a new technology in the U.S. but it will catch on fast. I just received my NFC tags today and look forward to creating macros that allow me to automatically shut down my wifi, launch blue tooth, send and e-mail to my wife that I'm leaving work, launch drivesafe.ly by just putting it in the car craddle. Something I do every day. Kinda cool.

The Torch has a cool slider that says "lets get to it" as soon as you slide it open. It is a smart snappy slider that pop very nicely. However, it is a question of taste. You mentioned you liked the look so if that is the case seriously consider it. Most of us Bold 9930 types just could not pass on the Bold keyboard but that is about preference. Keep in mind that the Torch is a bit thicker and heavier but unfortunately I have dropped both of them multiple times and fortunately they both are BlackBerry tough. I would not launch them across the room like you could a BB Curve but pretty solid.

Only ATT has the Torch in the U.S. and they still don't have the Bold so obviously I left ATT for Sprint. But I will say that the Torch is priced very well. At 49.00 bucks you get the same specs (sans NFC but with AF camera) and don't have to pay 199.99 on like or more at some of the stores.

I have several friends that got devices based on my recommendation and 4 got the Bold 9930 (returning BB users as well) and 2 got the Torch. All six of them love them and I hear things like "this thing is changing my life" and other stuff like that. Until the OS7 phones came out I never recommended BlackBerry, even though I had one myself. Now, I only recommend BB unless you have a vision thing or are quite a bit older or just love video games and movies on your phone. For that I tend to suggest Droids or if you are just completely unable to figure out tech then the iPhone is a nice device.

If you like the Bold 9000 then go for it but the difference is speed and power is just amazing. I watched the entire republican debate on youtube and it was incredible. The new OS7 devices are truly powerful enough for anything. I would be careful about going to anything other than OS7. I actually left BB due to hardware limitations on the old BB's. As soon as they upped their game I came back.

Good luck and enjoy.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 10-15-11 at 04:02 PM.
    hornlovah, JR A, Chrisy and 3 others like this.
    10-15-11 03:38 PM
    I'm actually only 17 years old, but i feel i'm not your general 17 year old who loves fancy apps and games. I just text and email on my mobile, and i cannot text on a touch screen for the life of me! Texting on a blackberry is just a joy!

Basically my choice is, looks, or pure keyboard ability. I think the Torch might be slightly more "teenage friendly" however there is no doubt the Bold has the best keyboard ever created on a mobile device.

Im in the UK, and i still have 1 year on my contract left, so i will have to buy an unlocked mobile and just switch my SIM into it. A 9800 torch will cost me around �150-250 while a Bold 9900 will cost me �350+ at the very least.

Oh! i can't decide!
    10-15-11 04:59 PM
    Why dont you go into Carphone warehouse & asked to have a look at both phones in action? that way you can get a general idea of what feels right.
    10-15-11 05:04 PM
    I think that you should get the Blackberry Bold 9900, it's a great QWERTY Keyboard mobile phone!
    10-15-11 05:14 PM
    I love my 9810, large screen, pretty good battery life and keyboard, great camera, almost exactly the same specs, but I will be buying a 9900 at full price just to do a real world comparison. Which will I choose? I guess I'll find out in 2014 when AT&T releases the 9900.
    10-15-11 06:52 PM
    I'm going to my local o2 store tomorrow, and i'm going to compare the Torch to the 9900 Bold. I think i'm more likely to prefer the Bold. I'm a massive qwerty keyboard Whooooree :P So i'll be drawn towards the better keyboard
    10-15-11 07:35 PM
    Welcome back! You should definitely go to your carrier store and try out the demos of the devices your considering. If you prefer a keyboard, look at the 9900/9930. If you like an all touch screen, perhaps the 9850/60. Also, consider the specs of the devices and what suits your needs. Good luck!
    10-16-11 07:44 AM
    welcome my friend. Take the 9930/00 its the best in it's class
    10-16-11 09:34 AM
    I made the switch back to a bb on friday.

I was using a droid for the past 7 months and the whole time I missed using my old bb. I guess I just wanted to see what the droids were all about.

After having so many problems with the droid I force my up grade friday when uscc released there 9350 and I'm very happy with my decision.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-16-11 09:41 AM
    I'm on a 9810 and my wife is on a 9900. We're both happy with our devices.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-11 04:40 AM
    I just got the 9810 yesterday, and I like everything about it. Just depends on what you prefer..I like that it has a bigger screen and a full qwerty keyboard..also the camera has auto focus and the 9900 doesn't..that's really the only difference other than size...but yeah, best thing to do is to go into a store and physically look them over..I'm sure you will be happy either way.
    10-18-11 06:07 AM
    Don't own one, but the 9900 looks like the best new Blackberry.
    10-18-11 06:53 PM
    i have the 9105 haha not the best but never had anything wrong with it ever.
    but i would get the 9900 or the old style bold,dunno the number 9000 i think
    10-18-11 07:29 PM
  17. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Bold 9900 is amazing!!! ... Go for it !
    10-18-11 10:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD