As my title says, I have a BB 9780. I know the wall charger supplied outputs at 700mA and a computer can output 1A through a USB cable. Is it possible then to charge my BB with only a charger that outputs 500mA?
    10-15-11 11:02 AM
    It won't charge. I bought a 500mA car charger and got a message display confirming it didn't have enough juice.
    10-15-11 01:45 PM
    FWIW, I bought an in car 12v cigarette to usb converter that claimed 500mA and it worked fine.
    I find that the inexpensive aftermarket stuff is never really close to the power that's claimed- it's usually more.
    10-16-11 09:35 PM
    i would think u can but only when the battery isnt too low otherwise it will trickle charge which could take a while
    10-16-11 10:12 PM
    The external charger I use, charges at 350 mAh, much lower than 500 mAh. It takes 8-10 hours and usually afterwards, it's charged. It's not a long time to wait, as I have two extended batteries.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-16-11 11:39 PM
    i dont see why not....my computers USB ports only put out 500mA and it charges my phones just fine.
    10-17-11 01:18 AM
    I have a car charger for my 8900, putting out 0.5v and 500mA, but i cant charge my new 9780 with it. So i need to get a more powerful charger then?
    10-27-11 09:53 AM
    The original BlackBerry wall charger is rated at 700mA for this phone. RIM would not have done this unless it were neccessary.

Many aftermarket chargers rated at 500mA will successfully charge this phone. Many others will not. It is the same with USB ports, which are nominally rated at 500mA too. That is the USB hardware specification. USB ports are supposed to be current lmited at 500mA. Again, many are not.

This subject has come up time and again on CrackBerry in may different guises. It is easy just to quote hardware specs and leave the OP confused. However the truth of the matter is, if the charger you have works, then it works. If it does not then seek another which might work.

The only things you REALLY MUST CHECK is that the USB charger you intend using is VOLTAGE REGULATED TO 5 VOLTS DC.

If the charger, like my car charger is capable of delivering 1 Amp (1000 mA) then the phone might charge a bit faster but the phone's own internal resistance via its charging circuit will not permit a huge current inflow. Maybe a bit, but not much.
    10-27-11 10:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD