I got this in the mail today from Verizon Wireless. After reading it, I'm not sure what to make of it. From what I see it is them anonymously collecting information for advertising.

What are thoughts about it? Would you leave this as-is or call to opt out? Why?

10-14-11 02:19 PM
    You can also opt out online
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-14-11 02:39 PM
    I'm an opt out. I don't particularly trust Verizon (and strongly suspect that opting out won't keep them from collecting the data they want anyway), and I think they should be able to afford to do their market research without expecting their customers to participate for free.

But then, I'm an old cynic.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-14-11 02:56 PM
    For the prices they charge, they should do their own market research...
    10-14-11 04:11 PM
    I opt'd out of everything..took 10 seconds. They middle one is very sneaky so be careful. It's not expanded like the other 2 are when you go to the page. You have to hit the "-" sign.
    MrObvious and ridesno159 like this.
    10-14-11 11:10 PM
    Well, I'm glad someone else posted this and that there are others that feel the same way so I wouldn't get slammed for being paranoid by agreeing and adding a little to this.

At least one positive thing about this is that it's fully disclosed, like they had a choice.

I got that same paper notice months ago in 2011 too and forgot to call and opt out. I'm sure that's what they would like for everyone to do, forget all about it.

I think every company can improve their product or service with feedback as long as their customers' data is managed properly by remaining anonymous and secure. I'm also not so much concerned with Verizon's use of my data as to who they may be farming it out to to have it analyzed. As in some land far, far away with much different laws and ethics than the civilized world. But hey, they work cheap. I recently found out that one of my clients, a huge well known company, has all of their invoicing processed in India. That's right, my SSN and other personal / financial info in foreign hands. Unbelievable.

Anyway, for those that don't know where to go to opt out of this disclosed monitoring in the VZW control panel, see the tool path below and like otacon72 mentioned, watch for those obscure dropdowns.

Profile > Customer Privacy Settings > Customer Proprietary Network Information Settings > Business & Marketing Reports
    Chrisy and ridesno159 like this.
    01-17-12 06:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD