what are your opinions on note handwriting on the Playbook? I'm considering getting one to use at school and I'd like to be able to take notes on it using my handwriting. Also, I wonder if I can write on the .pdf files or on powerpoint presentations (most professors have powerpoint and .pdf slides for the lectures and I'd like to write notes and explanations on those files)
    Any answers are appreciated. Also, I do not want to get a iPad or Android since I have a 9930 and I'd love to bridge it to PB
    10-14-11 10:14 AM
    I bought a kensington brand stylus, that works on any capacitive touch screens (PB, iPad, iPhone etc), but note taking seemed next to impossible with these devices. The glossy, slippery screen meant that i couldn't get enough traction to write accurately, everything came out looking like what i wrote in kindergarden :-) there aren't any handwriting recognition software for PB yet, correct me if i am wrong, which make it less than ideal for stylus based note taking.

for other kinds of note taking, have a look at evernote application for PB.

I also have a tecra tablet PC with Wacom technology built in, and that device it built for taking notes and doing art work, except for the weight. You can pick-up used tecra M7s for about $350 or less, and install windows 7, if handwriting notes is important to you.

if only they made the next version of PB with wacom like technology along with capacitive touch screen it would blow every tablet out of the water. (meh, me and my wishful thinking)
    10-14-11 10:42 AM
    I have tried using my fingers alone on app world apps like scroodle, sketchbook. I liked it to a certain extent, although when I got a stylus (the cheap kind) it didn't help a lot. I found my finger better. There are better styli that are available and you can try that (Girffin has good reviews- don't get Targus).
    About taking notes on PDF and ppt files- right now as I am aware, PB dosent have that software capabilities. Adobe reader on PB has long way to go- its great for reading but can't take notes/edits. Powerpoint that comes with Documents to go, can only be viewed no edits at all (unlike the word and excel apps).
    So, there you go- we are hoping some major improvements to come with adobe at least (as they are partners with RIM) on the pdf readers soon- keep your fingers crossed for the upcoming Devcon this tuesday.
    In a nutshell as the PB stands now the generic free apps won't serve all your purposes- but then again if you like BB and PBs as much as I do, I guess you wouldn't wait
    --
    10-14-11 10:46 AM
    @anindoc: i think I'll pass on getting the PB if it doesn't meet my needs. Why spend $300 for something that I don't need? Really hope RIM will bring these features to PB and if they do, I'm sure they'll blow iPad out of the water.
    10-14-11 10:59 AM
    I haven't tried the capacitive stylus yet, but I doubt that any stylus will give you enough resolution for handwriting recognition.

Unlike resistive technology or Wacom's electromagnetic resonance technology, capacitive touchscreens uses a matrix of cells (and look at the change in capacitance in each cell). The more cells, the higher the resolution, but even the best controllers aren't anywhere close to resistive or Wacom touchscreen resolution.

The Lenovo tablet PC's with touch have a Wacom digitizer combined with either a resistive touchscreen (older models, like the X61) or a capacitive touchscreen (newer multi-touch models).
    10-14-11 11:47 AM
    I bought a kensington brand stylus, that works on any capacitive touch screens (PB, iPad, iPhone etc), but note taking seemed next to impossible with these devices. The glossy, slippery screen meant that i couldn't get enough traction to write accurately, everything came out looking like what i wrote in kindergarden :-) there aren't any handwriting recognition software for PB yet, correct me if i am wrong, which make it less than ideal for stylus based note taking.

for other kinds of note taking, have a look at evernote application for PB.

I also have a tecra tablet PC with Wacom technology built in, and that device it built for taking notes and doing art work, except for the weight. You can pick-up used tecra M7s for about $350 or less, and install windows 7, if handwriting notes is important to you.

if only they made the next version of PB with wacom like technology along with capacitive touch screen it would blow every tablet out of the water. (meh, me and my wishful thinking)
    couldnt have agreed anymore. my advice is dont go for it yet before a hand recognition app is out. i found out in any case after using a stylus that i type much faster so why the need for a stylus if you can type faster? infact, to add to what rasi said, it would be more convenient if PB release some auto correction action then for typist, it will be the best solution. typing is faster than writing, atleast for me. infact, something like SWYPE may be more convenient so besides what rasi said about wacom technology in the next PB, i would like to add SWYPE feature to it then we will all be set
    10-14-11 12:06 PM
    I don't have one but I have been looking at the adonit - it has a clear round tip so you can actually see what you are pointing at - looks like a great idea!

Check Out This Awesome New Kickstarter-Funded iPad Stylus - Accessories, iPad
    10-14-11 12:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD