I don't know if there is a thread regarding this. If there is, please let me know. In any case, I'm wondering why Sprint always seems to be the last carrier to get the latest phones/devices? For example, I think the Curve was released last on Sprint. It seems that the new devices (Bold, Javelin) won't be on Sprint - again! And why is it that the phone makers choose to go with only one carrier (i.e. the iPhone only with ATT)? It would seem that if they had all the carriers sell their phones, they would make more money. I guess it has something to do with the type of signal (CDMA, etc.)? Is the phone maker that decides which carrier gets the device first? That really bums me out!

Sprint just sent me a card telling me that since I've been a loyal customer for so many years I can now upgrade my phone annually, rather than every two years. Well, that would be nice if they had some great devices to upgrade to! Any thoughts?
    08-27-08 05:08 PM
    Yeah, it is all about market share and I believe carriers actually will try and buy sole rights sometimes for a particular phone. I know AT&T and Apple formed an agreement to limit the iPhone to their network. It forces people who want to have an iPhone to switch carriers and believe it or not... people do We all love technology and it is part of the ploy to get subscribers.
    08-27-08 05:14 PM
    You are totally right. For me, while the phone is important, the quality of the coverage is more important. I can't afford to have calls drop or not be able to connect to email, Internet, etc. I've heard from many people that their calls are always dropped by AT&T. More bars? I don't know.
    08-27-08 05:26 PM
    Sprint just sent me a card telling me that since I've been a loyal customer for so many years I can now upgrade my phone annually, rather than every two years. Well, that would be nice if they had some great devices to upgrade to! Any thoughts?
    if u don't min me askin...how long have u been w/sprint? i'm just wonderin if i've been w/them long enough to get 2do that.
    08-27-08 07:21 PM
    if u don't min me askin...how long have u been w/sprint? i'm just wonderin if i've been w/them long enough to get 2do that.
    Gosh, I think I've been with them for over 10 years at least. Try calling them and ask. The card came in a really nice brochure. No harm in asking. Good luck!
    08-27-08 07:25 PM
    I've been with Sprint for 8 years now. I wonder what perks I can get out of them hmmm
    08-27-08 07:45 PM
    Gosh, I think I've been with them for over 10 years at least. Try calling them and ask. The card came in a really nice brochure. No harm in asking. Good luck!
    ok thx...yea i'm goin to call and see how far that a get me
    08-27-08 08:12 PM
    I just got back from the Sprint store and was told they're getting the Bold in Novermber! A CDMA Bold! I didn't see that coming.
    08-28-08 04:38 PM
    I've been with Sprint for abot 10 years as well. Just within the last 3 years, I've had 5 diff smart phones. Wow!! Nothing sent to me, I now envy you Tiapia... LOL!!
    08-28-08 06:43 PM
    Maybe I've been with them slightly longer? I can't remember. So sorry. If they honor the one year upgrade, then that would mean next June for me. We'll see, huh?

Re: the Bold coming out...I'm looking forward to the Javelin coming out for Sprint if that ever happens. Been viewing various videos and the Bold looks kind of big - like the 8830 I had.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-08 04:54 AM
    I just got back from the Sprint store and was told they're getting the Bold in Novermber! A CDMA Bold! I didn't see that coming.
    if thats true (which i hope it is) I�ll take the bold till the javelin comes out. since the javelin is really what I really want
    08-30-08 03:12 AM
    GSM usually gets devices first...its the nature of technology

As for sprint getting all devices last that not really true once you take out GSM...

HTC TOUCH, PALM CENTRO, HTC MOGUL, ADVOX 6700, TREO 700P, TREO 755P, ETC were all released by SPRINT before verizon...The Sprint curve was released 2-3 weeks after Verizon.

The white glove/ premier program is nice with annual upgrades with full 150 discounts...I have been with Sprint 7 years, my bills are about 150 I have never been late, 4 lines, not in the program...

My niece was with Sprint 1.5 years (6 months on my account but I kicked her off because she wouldnt pay me back even after I paid her bill to avoid being late) and most of the last year her phone was hotlined under her name ...she can upgrade every year as she is in the program....go figure...
    Last edited by MsRandall; 08-30-08 at 11:49 AM.
    08-30-08 10:12 AM
    GSM usually gets devices first...its the nature of technology

As for sprint getting all devices last that not really true once you take out GSM...

HTC TOUCH, PALM CENTRO, HTC MOGUL, ADVOX 6700, TREO 700P, TREO 755P, ETC were all released before verizon...The Sprint curve was released 2-3 weeks after Verizon.

The white glove/ premier program is nice with annual upgrades with ful 150 discounts...I have been with Sprint 7 years, my bills are about 150 I have never been late, 4 lines, not in the program...

My niece was with Sprint 1.5 years (6 months on my account but I kicked her off because she wouldnt pay me back even after I paid her bill to avoid being late and most of the last year her phone was hotlined under her name ...she can upgrade every year as she is in the program....go figure...
    The touch and the centro not only were released with Sprint first, they were officially on a CDMA carrier in the US before they got on a GSM carrier! Go CDMA!

08-30-08 10:51 AM
    My bill is about $120 each month on the SEP. I too have never been late. Do you think these were the people who were offered this special deal?

I guess you're right about those devices being released on Sprint/CDMA first, but they're not really THE premiere devices out there. For example, if I weren't a BB addict, I would like the LG Voyager or Dare. Those kind of cool phones are always on the other carriers and not on Sprint. The LG phones that Sprint has are pretty lame. Just my thoughts.

08-30-08 06:37 PM
    Well, I guess I would rather pay cheaper prices and wait longer to get phones than be robbed by other phones and get cool exclusive phones. I guess personally, I just don't like the phones Verizon has released....they all seem to be overrated.

08-31-08 12:34 PM
    My bill is about $120 each month on the SEP. I too have never been late. Do you think these were the people who were offered this special deal?

I guess you're right about those devices being released on Sprint/CDMA first, but they're not really THE premiere devices out there. For example, if I weren't a BB addict, I would like the LG Voyager or Dare. Those kind of cool phones are always on the other carriers and not on Sprint. The LG phones that Sprint has are pretty lame. Just my thoughts.

That's because LG is in bed with VZW big time and their Hottest toys are going to go to VZW. Sprint dumb phone partner used to Sanyo but they're done trying to compete, they've stated they're only producing mid-range to low end flip from here on out. So it looks like Samsung is Sprint only hope at getting hot devices....

Not to mention Sprint is also in bed bigtime with HTC as Sprint will have both the Diamond and the Raphael out the gate long before Verizon.

The only place where Sprint falls short is on Blackberrys unforunantly, and like MsRandall stated, Verizon only got the curve out the gate 1-2 weeks before Sprint. Its a RIM issue not Sprint, RIM has some sort of exclusivity not to release a CDMA verision until months behind GSM.
    09-01-08 04:44 AM
    Hi every 1,
    Lenny17 is also right about the GSM & CDMA issue. And also, I agree that its not a Sprint issue, its exactly a RIM type of thing. Infact, I believe it was RIM's CEO who was Interviewed on a News Channel (which is featured on Youtube) that Stated Carriers with GSM were going to be the 1st to Receive the Bold 9000 before other carriers with CDMA's would. When asked the difference between CDMA & GSM, RIM's Ceo Stated that Carriers with GSM have a more broad range signal than carriers with only CDMA.

For example, Carriers with GSM(Signal) can use their cell phones Internationally world wide as well as here in the United States Nationwide but Carriers who are only with CDMA(Signal) are only allowed with coverage just anywhere Nationwide thru out the United States. Also, regarding the Bold's Release, that will vary frm State to State. I myself just spoke to Tech. Support regarding my Cousins BB Curve 8330 & Tech. Support said that they will be getting the Bold by Mid Sept. this Month but here's the Kicker. When Sprint does receive the Shipment of the BB Bold, Sprint is gonna go thru the entire Shipment of BB Bold's and have they Tech Dept. Work out all the Kinks before they can release it on the Mrkt to make it available to all Sprint Store Locations. Also, Sprint is having Training Classes for the BB Bold before its release as well. That's what I was informed by Tech Support.
    09-01-08 05:47 AM
    Hi every 1,
    Lenny17 is also right about the GSM & CDMA issue. And also, I agree that its not a Sprint issue, its exactly a RIM type of thing. Infact, I believe it was RIM's CEO who was Interviewed on a News Channel (which is featured on Youtube) that Stated Carriers with GSM were going to be the 1st to Receive the Bold 9000 before other carriers with CDMA's would. When asked the difference between CDMA & GSM, RIM's Ceo Stated that Carriers with GSM have a more broad range signal than carriers with only CDMA.

For example, Carriers with GSM(Signal) can use their cell phones Internationally world wide as well as here in the United States Nationwide but Carriers who are only with CDMA(Signal) are only allowed with coverage just anywhere Nationwide thru out the United States.
    Also, regarding the Bold's Release, that will vary from State to State.
    I myself just spoke to Tech. Support regarding my Cousins BB Curve 8330 & Tech. Support said that they will be getting the Bold by Mid Sept. this Month but here's the Kicker.
    When Sprint does receive the Shipment of the BB Bold, Sprint is gonna go thru the entire Shipment of BB Bold's and have they Tech Dept. Work out all the Kinks before they can release it on the Mrkt to make it available to all Sprint Store Locations.
    Also, Sprint is having Training Classes for the BB Bold before its release as well. That's what I was informed by Tech Support. Just FYI
    09-01-08 05:50 AM
    I really doubt that we will see the bold on sprint before the summer of 09. Sprint will always be last when it comes bb. Just a fact of life with Sprint. Patience is a virtue

09-01-08 06:56 PM
    But also keep in mind Sprint puts out the Most Tricked out BB as well, as far as features.
    09-02-08 02:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD