I've been a BlackBerry user for 4 or so years now and love the important things about it, especially the new 9930 (which I got off contract for $100 through insurance). That being said, I am due for an upgrade in 10 days and have been eying the new Nexus phone with Ice Cream Sandwich. I bought a used Droid X back in February and loved it but ultimately went back to my 9650 because I missed the keyboard. I'm afraid that if I go back to Android I will have the same regret again.

I definitely loved everything about the Android OS but I missed the keyboard, ease of messaging, and the battery life of my BlackBerry.

This is one of those crossroads where I think I will regret and be happy about either decision. If I don't switch I will constantly be thinking about switching, but I'll also still love my BB. If I do switch, I know I'll love my Nexus, but I'll miss so much about the BB.

I hate these choices.....
    10-12-11 10:10 AM
    If you already own a 9930 ... then I don't see the need to switch. Especially since it is a new phone.

I have gone through a series of Androids and now I am trying out Blackberry. If you are, as I tend to do, "chase the shiny new rock" then it will end up expensive and heartbreaking. The Nexus phone will be obsolete in a year or so, replaced by somethign even better.

If I were you ... I'd hold on to the 9930 ... and wait for the next generation phone. You have time, no need to be in a hurry. And it will give a little time for the new OS to have a few kinks worked out ....
    10-12-11 10:20 AM
    If you're committed to a keyboard but want to switch it would make more sense to wait for an ICS device supporting a physical keyboard. There's no requirement that you renew your contract immediately upon the prior contract expiration, and if you're going to regret owning the new device because of the absence of a keyboard, how is that an "upgrade"?
    If you already own a 9930 ... then I don't see the need to switch. Especially since it is a new phone.

I have gone through a series of Androids and now I am trying out Blackberry. If you are, as I tend to do, "chase the shiny new rock" then it will end up expensive and heartbreaking. The Nexus phone will be obsolete in a year or so, replaced by somethign even better.

If I were you ... I'd hold on to the 9930 ... and wait for the next generation phone. You have time, no need to be in a hurry. And it will give a little time for the new OS to have a few kinks worked out ....
    Come on over. We're getting our emails and data just fine.

http://forums.crackberry.com/android...-guide-576203/
    K Bear likes this.
    10-12-11 10:24 AM
    LOL, I love it. I'm using an android phone today, until RIM fix their mess anyway.

Come on over. We're getting our emails and data just fine.

http://forums.crackberry.com/android...-guide-576203/
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-12-11 10:26 AM
    I do love the BlackBerry keyboard, and I didst know if I could adjust to a virtual one. I was surprised how fast I did though! A week or two and I was typing quickly! The keyboard, though virtual, is nicely spaced and responsive.

Give it a try, you may find it easier than you thought.
    10-12-11 10:29 AM
    I do love the BlackBerry keyboard, and I didst know if I could adjust to a virtual one. I was surprised how fast I did though! A week or two and I was typing quickly! The keyboard, though virtual, is nicely spaced and responsive.

Give it a try, you may find it easier than you thought.
    But I did already with the Droid X and ended up missing the physical keyboard. I think I'm just a victim of "the grass is always greener on the other side".
    10-12-11 10:34 AM
    You can always try different keyboards. That's the beauty of Android. Or maybe you'd like a different II, like Sense. I use the HTC stock keyboard and I like it.
    10-12-11 10:36 AM
    is it just me, or is people acting like the Great Blackberry Keyboard is this brilliant invention engineered in a secret laboratory inside a mountain getting old?

I like mine too, but its a keyboard folks, every phone has one.
    10-12-11 10:42 AM
    You know they DO sell Androids with physical keyboards right? lol
    10-12-11 10:49 AM
    You know they DO sell Androids with physical keyboards right? lol
    Yea they do but they aint any good

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-12-11 10:52 AM
    I used to have an android. Maybe you should switch just to get it out of your system. I was frustrated with my Tour and just jumped for the fastest, biggest android at the time. HTC Evo 4G.
    I used it it for a few days and I did not hate it but just found it sat in my drawer unused. I did not like having range anxiety with battery life. Their virtual keyboard was something I could get used to but I love my BB Keyboard.
    I actually came back to BlackBerry for the Torch 1. In other words, if they just barely met the specs I felt they needed to make the other stuff work, I would be happy. They did and so I came back. However, after getting the Bold 9930 there is no way in **** that I would switch out.
    I have a friend that just got his android and he was showing me the device but what I noticed is how many things he had to mess with to preserve his battery life. Shut down wifi, shut down 4g, screen brightness down to 15%, etc. Hey, if the phone sucks enough battery life to render it useless, then what's the point.

BlackBerry users have this thing that I will call the 7 year itch. They are just curious. I think many will leave and like me, many will come back. BlackBerry is still the one for me. I have had an iPhone, Droid, Palm Pre Plus, and knowing the field, they all have their own issues just like BB but in the end I know what feels good to me. Nothing else, even comes close.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 10-12-11 at 11:04 AM.
    Neely2005 and MetalxAssassinx like this.
    10-12-11 11:01 AM
    I switched to a HTC Desire HD once.

I lasted six days

Poor battery, no keyboard, unreliable email delivery. That was my gripe.
    10-12-11 11:08 AM
    I converted just fine with no regrets. Our company users on the Droid Pro's like the keyboard. I like a touch screen. If you cannot do without a keyboard, stay with BB.
    10-12-11 01:30 PM
    Hey guys, I really appreciate the comments on both sides.

I know a few Android phones have keyboards, but the truth is that the BlackBerry's curved keyboard is so much better than the flat Android keyboards that I can't even consider using those. People that claim they can type as fast on a touch screen as they can on a physical keyboard aren't talking about a BlackBerry keyboard, it really is THAT much better. That being said, I can't decide if a keyboard is worth holding me back on other great features.
    10-12-11 05:43 PM
    I went with an Android phone when I upgraded earlier this year and regret it. The thing that really inspired me to leave Blackberry were the free Google apps, such as Nav--which is better than even the most expensive GPS apps on Blackberry.

I cannot live without a physical keyboard--I write too much on my devices--so I got an android with a slide out keyboard. Compared to the Blackberry the keyboard sucks. Whoever designed it was NOT a writer/typist. Still, it's better than NO keyboard like the freakin' iPhone, Windows Mobile phones, and most Android phones.

I still carry around my old Curve for serious writing and note taking though.

I am one of those people who doesn't believe in "the best" device. They all have their pluses and minuses. I prefer to the BB OS to any of the others (although why they added all of those stupid trays in OS6 is beyond me...i'm glad they give you the option to shut them off in OS7). I also like the keyboard. So there just happens to be MORE of what I like in Blackberry.

Still, until the price comes down on their new devices, I'm going to be sticking with the Android...
    10-12-11 05:57 PM
    Anastasiophan,

I agree. The BB keyboard is the best, hands down.

I've tried every touch-screen keyboard there is, including experimental designs like 8-Pen, and they all suck. It was actually pretty funny, in the end. Here we have this perfect solution to a basic human problem --the physical keyboard--and everyone with a touchscreen phone is trying to come up with an alternative. I've actually heard iPhone people and Android touchscreen people say stuff like, "I've just learned to live with writing shorter emails, and I don't text much anymore." **** that.

Another interesting point: I had a windows mobile phone back in the early 2000s. It was one of those touch-screen devices with the stylus. They had a really nice handwriting recognition app that worked very well. I was surprised when I went looking for a comparable one over 10 years later...and couldn't find one! Ten years later, and there isn't a better handwriting input app than the one Microsoft made? Damn...

I understand exactly your concerns. I struggled with them earlier this year when switching...But remember this, in addition to losing the great keyboard...you'll also lose that great all-in-one email/text/im folder. (Can't get that on Android, i've looked!) Also, the great folders in BB. You know, the ones that don't stay open even after you've launched the app you were looking for, so when you close the app, you have to go back and shut the folder? (That pisses me off.) And the great organizational ability of the BB.

You'll get Google Nav, though. For free.
    10-12-11 06:08 PM
    Best advice for the OP:

Test them out in store, evaluate, do this for a few days/visits to the store, then finally, make your choice. Done. Remember the 15/30 days return policy, it's there for a reason.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Foberry likes this.
    10-12-11 08:02 PM
    Just go then......
    10-12-11 08:05 PM
    Hey guys, I really appreciate the comments on both sides.

I know a few Android phones have keyboards, but the truth is that the BlackBerry's curved keyboard is so much better than the flat Android keyboards that I can't even consider using those. People that claim they can type as fast on a touch screen as they can on a physical keyboard aren't talking about a BlackBerry keyboard, it really is THAT much better. That being said, I can't decide if a keyboard is worth holding me back on other great features.
    Worst typing experience I ever had was on the Bold 9700. Definitely not made for women at all.
    10-12-11 08:39 PM
    Worst typing experience I ever had was on the Bold 9700. Definitely not made for women at all.

Interesting. My wife hated my 9650s keyboard.
    10-12-11 09:10 PM
    Anastasiophan,

I agree. The BB keyboard is the best, hands down.

I've tried every touch-screen keyboard there is, including experimental designs like 8-Pen, and they all suck. It was actually pretty funny, in the end. Here we have this perfect solution to a basic human problem --the physical keyboard--and everyone with a touchscreen phone is trying to come up with an alternative. I've actually heard iPhone people and Android touchscreen people say stuff like, "I've just learned to live with writing shorter emails, and I don't text much anymore." **** that.

Another interesting point: I had a windows mobile phone back in the early 2000s. It was one of those touch-screen devices with the stylus. They had a really nice handwriting recognition app that worked very well. I was surprised when I went looking for a comparable one over 10 years later...and couldn't find one! Ten years later, and there isn't a better handwriting input app than the one Microsoft made? Damn...

I understand exactly your concerns. I struggled with them earlier this year when switching...But remember this, in addition to losing the great keyboard...you'll also lose that great all-in-one email/text/im folder. (Can't get that on Android, i've looked!) Also, the great folders in BB. You know, the ones that don't stay open even after you've launched the app you were looking for, so when you close the app, you have to go back and shut the folder? (That pisses me off.) And the great organizational ability of the BB.

You'll get Google Nav, though. For free.

Yeah, you can.

Also, believe it or not, I am more productive on an all touchscreen than I am on a physical. I actually type faster. never believed it could be done till I tried it.

Don't assume that something can't be done just because you can't/won't do it. Touchscreens are not a fad. If they were, RIM would not be trying to break into that market.
    10-12-11 10:23 PM
    Why not stick with your BB9930 see that it is already a new phone and the best BB to date and buy an iPod Touch or a tablet instead? That way the iPod\Tablet will meet all your non-BB needs (games, apps, and what not). Obviously this is just a thought.

No real harm (other than financial maybe if pass 15 days for returns?) to switch to a droid and see how it goes for you...if it doesn't pan out then you'd have your Bold waiting.
    RadiantDuck likes this.
    10-12-11 10:34 PM
    My main smartphone use has been with my 9330 so I can't say much but I used an iphone for about an hour and it was a love/hate sorta device. The keyboard on the portrait mode was not to easy to type on and the phone was too wide to type on landscape mode (though I'm hearing that was fixed in iOS5. In my opininion, if you can get past typing on a touch screen then you will love it. I used to have a touch screen feature phone and as far as feature phones go, I loved it EXCEPT typing on it. I swore I lost my ability to text fast after that phone. But I'm slowly getting back into speed.

I may have the ability to upgrade in a month and I am eyeing the iphone 4. It isn't because of speed issues or the keyboard. It's for the apps. Our best apps on Blackberry, iphone also has the same app that is twice as good. **** they have apps for everything on iphone. I agree in Kevin's Hierachary of Smartphone needs and from what I've heard, the iphone 4 fits 95% of that pyramid. There are features on blackberry that are nice like the full keyboard and push email. But I'm sure I can adapt to suit a new phone.
    10-12-11 10:40 PM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD