Millions affected as BlackBerry outage spreads to North America - The Globe and Mail

BBC News - Blackberry problems spread to USA

BlackBerry glitch spreads to Canada, cuts off users for third day - thestar.com

Thought it worth starting a new thread now that it is established that outages are affecting North America.

As of 10:25 this morning, I am getting BES service but no BIS service from Telus in Toronto, Canada.
    Last edited by Slalom; 10-12-11 at 09:40 AM.
    10-12-11 09:24 AM
    I haven't had access to my browser since early a.m. on October 10th in Atlanta.

I'm glad they are finally recognizing that it DOES affect some users in North America. If they had done that earlier, I wouldn't have spent 3 hours on the phone with tech supporting, and had to completely wipe my Blackberry yesterday.
    10-12-11 10:16 AM
    It's cool. Apparently Blackberry users don't mind an outage here and there.
    10-12-11 10:19 AM
    Mine is still good and running. I'm in Tampa, FL. Hopefully it stays that way
    10-12-11 10:20 AM
    Completely out in Southern Cali....except for phone calls.
    10-12-11 10:23 AM
    No BBM or email on BIS.

No impact yet on BES.

The annoyance widens.
    10-12-11 10:43 AM
    No BBM or email on BIS.

No impact yet on BES.

The annoyance widens.
    On the bright side that's another three more days for sex and wine! Maybe even more to come!

10-12-11 10:46 AM
    No BBM or email on BIS.

No impact yet on BES.

The annoyance widens.
    Looks like it may be affecting our BES users (NorCal > SF/Bay Area). A number of devices here not receiving emails, and cannot send PIN messages to themselves.
    10-12-11 10:53 AM
    On the bright side that's another three more days for sex and wine! Maybe even more to come!

Why only 3? Do you really wait for a blackberry outage?
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-12-11 11:02 AM
    How does your carrier handle these RIM outages?

Do they automatically reduce your payments, or are you given any extra incentives?

Its kinda weird how many carriers charge Premium+ price for BIS services, and after we get dependent on them, when trouble occurs they often just lean back and say "not our problem - RIM problem"...

What IF you went to the supermarket and bought a bottle of milk, then went home to do some cooking/baking where you planned to use exactly one bottle milk, - only to find out that the bottle was half full... Then you could not bake ....

So - our carriers are "re-selling" this failing service - It is the carriers who must push whomever is responsible for the outages/problems....

Another thing about it - when we so much rely on services - what alternatives do we have?

Are pushed Gmail on Android or iPhones more stable?

Am getting fed'up of all these unreliable BIS services - I need alternatives ... what to choose??
    10-12-11 11:20 AM
    No BIS service on Sprint here in Pittsburgh, PA
    10-12-11 11:23 AM
    How does your carrier handle these RIM outages?

Do they automatically reduce your payments, or are you given any extra incentives?

Its kinda weird how many carriers charge Premium+ price for BIS services, and after we get dependent on them, when trouble occurs they often just lean back and say "not our problem - RIM problem"...

What IF you went to the supermarket and bought a bottle of milk, then went home to do some cooking/baking where you planned to use exactly one bottle milk, - only to find out that the bottle was half full... Then you could not bake ....

So - our carriers are "re-selling" this failing service - It is the carriers who must push whomever is responsible for the outages/problems....

Another thing about it - when we so much rely on services - what alternatives do we have?

Are pushed Gmail on Android or iPhones more stable?

Am getting fed'up of all these unreliable BIS services - I need alternatives ... what to choose??
    What about using the gmail app instead of BIS? I used it on my 9800, but set my gmail account up on BIS when I got my 9810. Both approaches have pluses and minuses.
    10-12-11 11:25 AM
    BIS is working for me in Las Vegas, NV Although it is slower than usual I'm able to receive emails and open attachments.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-12-11 11:30 AM
    Bes Out in Winnipeg on rogers
    10-12-11 11:35 AM
    Just came back on again in Hamilton Ont on Bell network
    10-12-11 11:46 AM
    BIS email not working since last night here on Long Island in NY.
    10-12-11 12:05 PM
    BBM and email just went down in WY. Was perfect until less than 5 minutes ago.
    10-12-11 12:16 PM
    I think it's mostly three days of backlog elsewhere...that's caught up in NA and will probably spread until they fix what's wrong in the Europe site.
    10-12-11 12:52 PM
    Been out all morning here in middle GA on Sprint.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-12-11 12:57 PM
    Yep. Still no email, both BIS and BES.

Google talk appears to be still functional.

VZW, 9930, Northern VA
    10-12-11 01:01 PM

Unfortunately, at eight months, neither is possible at this time.

Curling up with a Nook is, though....
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-12-11 01:01 PM
    Looks like it may be affecting our BES users (NorCal > SF/Bay Area). A number of devices here not receiving emails, and cannot send PIN messages to themselves.
    I'm fine on BES, but I hear of sporadic outages. I'm working from home today, so I'm loving the quiet.
    The fam can reach me via text and email, and if needed, actual calls!
    10-12-11 01:03 PM
    BBM and Email has been out for me since around 7am EST in the Central Savannah River Area of Georgia. Also for my Fiance in Knoxville Tennessee.
    10-12-11 01:08 PM
    BBM and emails all down. Started yesterday in and out, and totally gone this morning. Seems that I am getting "broadcast messages" but not single ones. Having problems with gmail accounts and LP messages going out as well.
    South Dakota is really quiet today!
    10-12-11 01:35 PM
    BIS, Carrier Bell Mobility, area Toronto...

BBM and all services back up and running normally...
    10-12-11 01:37 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD