Hello from Innsbruck, Austria!

I lost my dear old unlocked Vodafone BB 8310 two weeks ago during a hike in the mountains (it must have somehow found its way out the backpack during a rest and was switched off, so I couldn't locate it afterwards). Proably now a cow somewhere is using it as chewing gum, or the shepherd gets some weird ransom mails. Sigh.

So I walked into a T-mobile shop to get me a replacement and came out with a Bold. It was the last one they had out of 10 or so. Lucky

As we are preparing for two big industry shows in september and october in our company, the new Bold was quickly thrown into heavy usage.

after two weeks use I found the following points (I have to add that I use a company Vodafone Nokia E90 communicator from time to time were I enjoy the fantastic display and hate the bad keyboard, so there are some points to compare, and I was interested how the Bold would stand against the E90):

1) fast backup restore:
    Backup restore of all the 8310 backup data with BB desktop software into the Bold 9000 was a blast. no hassle, no problems, just working within 2 minutes. The new BOLD was instantly a 1:1 copy of the data of the 8310. I could instantly continue working. AMAZING!!!

2) weak battery life:
    With activated Wifi and Bluetooth and some phonecalls during the day, the Bolds battery is drained empty within less 8 hrs. The 8310s Battery lasted for about 1-1/2 days. The BOLDs battery life is a step back. And I had fully charged the battery before first use. Also charge needs longer than with the 8310 (but the bolds battery is of course bigger).

3) unstable bluetooth connections:
    Never I had any problems with the 8310 and the original bluetooth sony car radio of my 07 ford focus wagon. it was like the Sony radio was made for the 8310. the 9000 however misses lets say each 2nd phonecall, quits the connection, sometimes does not dial at all, or does not recognize incoming calls. not good. I hope there is a software update soon.

4) the BOLDs built in webbrowser is very SLOW even with WIFI:
    ... and there is no choice between WIFI or 3G etc BEFORE one opens up a website.

the E90's browser is about twice as fast with 3.5G or WIFI, and before opening a website, the E90 asks if it shall be opened using WIFI or 3G (and which connection available). with Bold, I'd have to choose the standard browser in setup each time.

Is there a Opera Browser for BOLD ready yet?

5) Excellent display:
    the Bolds display is a improvement to the 8310, however the icons are very hard to differentiate. Compared to the 8310's nice coloured icons which were easy to keep apart and looked like on a Computer, I really have a hard time recognizing the difference between the monchromed BOLDs icons, and finding the right application.

the 8310's icons were much better to separate when things had to go fast. hopefully there is soon a 8300 style theme for the bold for us old folks.

6) Some problems with contacts:
    contacts application has some strange problems showing up contact names, when phonecalls come in.

if a contact has a assigned company name AND a last name, first name, sometimes when a call comes in, BOLD only shows the company name, not the first and last name. strange. never had that issue with the 8310. maybe I missed a option in setup...

7) HTML mails messed up:
    email application has some problems with incoming HTML mails from outlook 2003. but it seems to depend on the machine where the mail comes from, XP or Vista or a Apple. email is btw much better than the E90's.

8) Calendar:
    Calendar has been improved, as colours for different tasks (or even emails) can be chosen. however in Month view, there is still no display of those tasks (like a PALMs month view can do). But the BB's Calendar is so much better than the E90's anyway.

9) BOLDs new headphones:
    the headphones look stylish but are not better than the 8300s. the headphones of the 8300 were better.

10) 2MP camera still no good:
    the 2MP camera is no improvement, it is as bad as the 8300s and just for car accident reports. The E90's 3MP cam is much better and has a lot of options to use.

11) Keyboard:
    still not sure about the keyboard. the BOLD's new keyboard is good and has a soft touch, but the 8300s was even as good. (nevertheless my all time favourite BB keyboard is the good old 8700v's).

12) Office:
    First time that I can use Word to go, Sheet to go etc. The apps are nice and a step forward. but Nokia's QuickOffice Suite seems to be much easier to handle and much faster. Sheet to go had some problems with bigger Excel Sheets, Quickoffice could open without any problems.

13) Adobe PDF viewer:
    Compared to the fast and easy PC style Adobe PDF LE viewer of Nokia's E90, the Blackberry PDF Viewer is still a pain to use. I hope it is replaced soon with Adobe PDF LE!!

Didn't have time yet to play around with the media manager, but that thing looks good. The sound of the built in BOLD speaker is really good.

After 2 weeks office use I must say that the BOLD is a impressive step forward (also in size).

but battery life, the slow browser needs a improvement!

What are your experiences with battery life?

Cheers
    Christoph

PS: Vodafone Austria has delayed sales of their dedicated BOLD version, as they were not satisfied with the OS release quality of the Bold's they tested so far.
    Last edited by AustrianBoldie; 08-27-08 at 03:40 PM.
    08-27-08 03:14 PM
    Ditto on the Wifi sucking your battery dry. Today was my first full day of testing with the Bold and I left the house with a fully charged battery at aproximately 08:30 and now it's 16:40 and I only have 2 out of 5 bars left on the battery indicator. WIFI was on all day, and the GPS was only used for proximately 40 minutes during the day.

Lets hope updates to the firmware help with the battery life. I have not yet tried bluetooth.
    08-27-08 03:41 PM
    What OS version are you using?

I find the battery life to be pretty standard on the Bold. Though I do make a habbit to turn off WiFi when it isn't in use - so that probably helps the battery but I use Bluetooth quite a bit. I am using OS v4.6.0.125.
    08-27-08 03:57 PM
    What OS version are you using?

I find the battery life to be pretty standard on the Bold. Though I do make a habbit to turn off WiFi when it isn't in use - so that probably helps the battery but I use Bluetooth quite a bit. I am using OS v4.6.0.125.
    Same

I leave wifi turned off (unless i use it for a bit in the evening), but bluetooth is on all the time (for my car's hands free).

On average I'm seeing around 1.5 - 2 days usage out of a full charge
    08-27-08 04:02 PM
    Hi Christoph, in Innsbruck, and welcome to CB!

That is a very long post for your first offering, but also a very informative one.

As has been said before, no phone is ever going to be 100% perfect for all users, but the Bold is, nevertheless, an impressive pice of kit, and one which I am very much looking forward to buying!
    08-27-08 04:42 PM
    i dunno i charged it all night have had it on since 8:30 wifi off bluetooth off but 3g on all day. I browse cb and facebook and have had msn on all day its 6:04 now and im at halfway point of battery but i have surfed a lot
    08-27-08 05:04 PM
    Hello all,

thanks and hi to Crackberry! What a great community!

Right, there is a new OS from T-mobile, and I didn't have it yet (I believe I read .95 or so before I did the upgrade 1 hr ago).

I have upgraded the BOLD now to the actual A4.6.0.126 T-Mobile Austria Release. Wow, now it has 34 megs RAM free (it was 10 before). It also shows the MAP symbol now (it wasn't there before), and the whole device seems to be a bit faster.

The Map application however does not show any map at all, there's a message that it is not configured for BIS or BES, but I remember there was a Tip on the B9000 Threads somewhere.

I'll see how it goes this week and will report.

Cheers
    Christoph
    Last edited by AustrianBoldie; 08-27-08 at 05:19 PM.
    08-27-08 05:14 PM
    Just wanted to touch base here, I made a posting about the battery life before but rather than dig it up ill post here.

Having switched off the wifi i have foudn the battery life to be much much much better. I will only switch it on now when i need it.
    08-28-08 09:28 AM
    Lots of good info here.
    08-28-08 09:49 AM
    Im finding the battery life to be very poor:

I leave my house around 7am (after charging all night)

BT is on
    Wifi is off
    on 3G

I would say i receive approx. 100 emails (send 10 t 15).
    Send and receive approx 30 texts
    Browse 30 minutes
    BB Messenger 30 minutes
    Talk 1hr to 1hr30

Battery lasts me until 6pm maximum!

My curve would go until 11pm!

Thinking of switching off 3G
    08-29-08 06:20 AM
    hello.

My Bold just got me through one of the most inportant days of my life with battery intact. It survived from 10pm Wednesday until 8pm Thursday while my wife was in hospital giving birth. My phone wasnt turned off for any of that time and it was set to 3g with Bluetooth on and searching for wi-fi connections. It obviously was recieving emails and facebook updates as it usuallly would do. Then when the baby was born it coped with around 150texts, about 60 emails, loads of facebook stuff and about a dozen phone calls some of which were at length. I think i would have to have a very hectic day to kill the battery on my Bold as after that one i still had 1 bar left.
    08-29-08 08:16 AM
    Congratulations on your new baby sparkylx... and I am pleased to hear that your Bold held on till the bitter end!

Now the fun starts!
    08-29-08 08:20 AM
    hahaha yes the fun does start from here. but seriously was impressed with how much the Bold coped with yesterday, i was even listening to music on it at one point.
    08-29-08 08:33 AM
    After upgrading the OS, battery indicator went from 85 to 90%.
    08-29-08 08:55 AM
    I had the same battery issues with my Bold a few days ago, But once I changed my backlight settings, Turned off Wi-Fi when not in use and 3G, It has improved considerably
    08-29-08 12:19 PM
    ... backlight settings ...

that is a good idea! set it to 60%, and it still very bright.

have recently installed the newest Tmobile OS to 4.6.0.126 (243), and ...

the media manager is gone!!!! did i do something wrong while upgrading, I don't know. during upgrading the new OS I just unchecked some languages, but that was it. there is no checkbox on desktop manager OS update procedure where one can uncheck "media manager".

also MAPS still doesn't work. whenever I want to open it, it just says: "your BB is not configured for BIS or BES. check back with your mobile phone operator or IT-admin.".

grmbl
    08-29-08 05:54 PM
    Congrats on the baby great info I can't wait till the U.S. Release

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-08 06:18 PM
    Hi Austrianboldie

Welcome I am still new to Blackberry myself, my first blackberry will be the Bold.

I am interested in your post mainly because I have used Windows mobiles for years aswell as recently using the N95 8gb and this week been getting used to the Nokia E71. (Still looking for my Sim- free bold)

I am glad you mentioned the Web browsers in your comparison, I have got used to the Symbian browsers on the Nokias. I have played with the Bold in a shop and was thinking that I may have to take time in getting use to browser.

Also I found it useful that you mention about the way it handles pdf files, tend to use those a lot.

Thanks for such a detailed post.
    08-31-08 06:31 AM
    My friend just got the Bold a week ago. We both went on a trip to Hawaii and it started performing horribly once roaming. Messenger didn't work properly (a network problem likely, but we're on the same carrier and my Curve worked fine), the battery life was horrible (battery almost done after just 6 hours of minimal usage), battery got really hot for no reason (so hot that he couldn't keep it in his pocket).

Now we're home and he said it's much better.
    09-05-08 02:38 AM
    Interesting about the overheating problem, as that was said to be one of the issues which AT&T were said to be experiencing during testing, but no one else seemed to have mentioned any problems in that area.

Out of interest have you updated the OS on your Bold?
    09-05-08 03:48 AM
    Thanks a bunch for this info. I was about to upgrade from curve to bold @ T-mobile @ Ober�sterreich.

After reading the thread it seems like I should wait a bit longer due to the software issues. Hope they will fix the problems soon.
    09-05-08 01:18 PM
    I also had bad experiences with battery drainage on my Bold and started to test several modes.

First days I had problems with 2G and some apps like Google Mail and Google Maps seem to be using 2G hard coded. That drained the battery because they were constantly trying to exchange data.
    One of day of travelling also drained my battery (wifi ON). With wifi OFF it's much better.
    But today I worked from home, made a lot of calls, average e-mails and had wifi ON, experienced less battery drainage.

My conclusion is that wifi is only draining the battery when it's searching for hotspots, not when it has a connection. I'm now a little bit more cautious with switching on wifi. I think that's something to be improved in next versions of the OS.

/Eric
    09-05-08 04:47 PM
    Turning off Wi-Fi seems to save the day.

Can any one help me with video compression?

I am with Vodafone Australia,on3G network. But it takes over 5 minutes to upload a 15 second video.

Is there any video compression s/ware out there I could use to make uploading faster?

Andrew
    09-05-08 07:43 PM
    My conclusion is that wifi is only draining the battery when it's searching for hotspots, not when it has a connection. I'm now a little bit more cautious with switching on wifi. I think that's something to be improved in next versions of the OS.
    /Eric
    Good call - no different than a phone on roam in an out of service area. That sucks any phone dry.
    09-06-08 10:19 AM
    Andrew are you using the 480 X 320 or the smaller 170 X ... MMS resolution when capturing vidoes ?

If using the larger size try the reduced size option ( will be smaller for the upload )

Whaledd
    10-12-08 07:50 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD