I listened to the latest podcast. In it, Crackberry Kevin states that he does not believe that the Android Player is "ready for primetime" and that he does not think it will be part of 2.0.

He said that the Android Player is not ready because it is not fully integrated into the OS so it is not what it should be at the moment.

Of course, we don't know if Kevin is saying this based on some leak or some theory but we should be aware that Android Player may follow the 2.0 release.

If it is indeed further delayed I only can wonder how it is possible that as recently late July RIM was confirming a summer release.
    10-09-11 10:07 AM
    I think he meant right NOW.
    Like at the moment.
    like on friday the 7th.
    like at the time.
    int he moment.
    in the second.

But even still. He isn't RIM. It may not be prime time but it will work hopefully.
    10-09-11 10:10 AM
    I thought Kevin said was that what he saw when he visited RIM was not ready for "primetime". Hopefully progress has been made in the interim.
    10-09-11 10:11 AM
    I am pretty sure that he was talking about 2.0. He said something about 2.0 being followed by Android Player.
    10-09-11 10:18 AM
    Check out around the 20 minute mark.

It is clear that he thinks that 2.0 will come before Android Player.
    10-09-11 10:33 AM
    I'd better have a fully & well crafted 2.0 without crappy dro�d than the opposite ...
    Once again, dro�d stuff is for the show !
    batboris and dadymon like this.
    10-09-11 10:36 AM
    Check out around the 20 minute mark.

It is clear that he thinks that 2.0 will come before Android Player.
    I'll take a look. Thanks.
    10-09-11 10:38 AM
    Okay, I listened to the part lawguyman is referring to. I'm sort of with lawguyman on this. To -me-, it seemed pretty clear that Kevin did not think the Android Player would be ready IF RIM were planning on releasing 2.0 AT DevCon. They were fantasizing about RIM handing out Playbooks at DevCon preloaded with 2.0, and Kevin felt that, if that were to happen, Android player might not be ready.
    Of course, an actual DevCon day release is all only wishful thinking right now.
    10-09-11 10:51 AM
    Crackberry Kevin states that he does not believe that the Android Player is "ready for primetime" and that he does not think it will be part of 2.0.
    I waaaaaaaarned you guys....

I'm not shocked at the fanbois who will defend rim on this, by the way. Im shocked that this surprises anybody ..... and disappoints others......

Its almost 6 months after launch and bridge icons still disappear on this tablet!!! Just what in the world makes any of you think that they could have a functioing android player ready???
    10-09-11 11:43 AM
    It seems to me that the Android Player when leaked worked decently, but I agree it sounds like he's saying that 2.0 will come but not Android player.

Personally I'd like to see a good 2.0 release and then perhaps a Beta Zone release of Android Player so that those who want to use it can try it.

It sounds though like Kevin was talking about it only loading one Android App at a time which it sounds like what RIM told us regarding the limitations a few weeks ago.
    dadymon likes this.
    10-09-11 11:46 AM
    It also sounded to me that a 2.0 release at Devcon is probably a fantasy. They considered it very unlikely.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-09-11 11:56 AM
    Actually, an OS2 release is wishful thinking.
    JBenn911, kb5zht, Rello and 3 others like this.
    10-09-11 12:04 PM
    It also sounded to me that a 2.0 release at Devcon is probably a fantasy. They considered it very unlikely.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I dont know why it was ever even hypothesized...

I'snt the official rim position from the beginning that it would be released thereafter (devcon)?
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-09-11 12:16 PM
    they won't release it at dev, they will announce the release day.... summer?
    finsride likes this.
    10-09-11 12:17 PM
    I bought my PB 3 weeks ago, and for now, I am very pleased with it, but unfortunatly I'm from a country called Portugal, and the developers here, only create apps for iPhone, iPad and Android.
    the Android App Player would be a great thing for me, because there are no portuguese apps for the PB or BB smartphones, like media apps, sports apps, etc. Sure I can use the mobile sites, but sometimes there is not much information on those sites as in the Apps themselves.
    I really hope they put out the Android Player, but make it good, with no pressure... I think that if we waited all this time, we should expect to get a very good player and not an under development one. I hope this is what RIM is doing now, holding most of the major updates for OS 2.0.
    prichards and Zudeo like this.
    10-09-11 12:46 PM
    Showing the truth of the adage that you shouldn't buy a device based on what it might be able to do in the future.

Of course, most of us do (including me) and hence most of us are disappointed in RIM and its ongoing inability to make good on promises. If DEVCON comes and goes with no 2.0, or 2.0 launches without Android player, look for another stock price drop. It's getting to "Do or Die" for RIM.
    FF22, Kiddo2050 and bhuinker like this.
    10-09-11 01:00 PM
    Showing the truth of the adage that you shouldn't buy a device based on what it might be able to do in the future.

Of course, most of us do (including me) and hence most of us are disappointed in RIM and its ongoing inability to make good on promises. If DEVCON comes and goes with no 2.0, or 2.0 launches without Android player, look for another stock price drop. It's getting to "Do or Die" for RIM.
    Slight correction: We didn't buy based on what it might be able to do in the future. We bought based on what we were told by RIM it would be able to do in the future. That makes a world of difference.

Your second paragraph impliedly acknowledges the inaccuracy of the first statement.

Agree with you that this is getting to be do or die time. 2.0 must come out shortly after devcon, AND it must be good. God help RIM if 2.0 is released without polished integrated android support. Not so much because I or others want it, but because ..... holy cr*p ... you SAID it was coming. If you NEVER deliver or it takes you 2 years, you're going to be a joke!
    FF22, Kiddo2050 and Zudeo like this.
    10-09-11 01:40 PM
    Those who are so damn concerned about android player on the PB need to just go get an andriod tablet and STFU. I for one could care less about the droid crap. I just want the QNX PB to work as they said it would with QNX apps and all that goodness we were expecting!
    10-09-11 01:46 PM
    Playing fanboy here:

I'm sure that there's a good excuse, ahem, reason.

Obviously, we don't want it before it is truly ready (and Android 7.999.999 is launched).

I'm sure it will be mentioned as available Summer 2012 or thereafter.

It will be a sure bet before ipad 9 and iphone6.2s.

What qnx phones? We never promised them.
    10-09-11 01:46 PM
    Agree with you that this is getting to be do or die time. 2.0 must come out shortly after devcon, AND it must be good. God help RIM if 2.0 is released without polished integrated android support. Not so much because I or others want it, but because ..... holy cr*p ... you SAID it was coming. If you NEVER deliver or it takes you 2 years, you're going to be a joke!
    Thank you for this.... I can't believe how hard it is for some of the diehard fanboys on this forum to grasp. Asking for feature implementations is not just us users being whiners or greedy, it's necessary for the Playbook to be successful. We all want the Playbook to be a success in order for it to be developed for, etc.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-09-11 01:52 PM
    Just what in the world makes any of you think that they could have a functioing android player ready???
    Because it was leaked and proved functional a month or two ago?
    10-09-11 01:53 PM
    Those who are so damn concerned about android player on the PB need to just go get an andriod tablet and STFU. I for one could care less about the droid crap. I just want the QNX PB to work as they said it would with QNX apps and all that goodness we were expecting!
    Although I could care less for android apps on the Playbook, that's a rather rude stance you're taking considering RIM is the one who made the empty promises about the android player in the first place. If anyone is to blame for people being upset about the android player not being here yet, it's RIM. If RIM didn't have the android player anywhere near ready when they announced a summer release, then I feel like they are the ones who should have STFU.
    scmosher likes this.
    10-09-11 01:55 PM
    So on the one hand, you're complaining about people that want the Android player (even though the reason they want it is that it would mean more apps). Then, later, you complain about "apps and all that goodness [you] were expecting," and that you "want the QNX PB to work as they said it would." This seems hypocritical to me, since you and the people you criticize are asking for the same thing.
    10-09-11 01:56 PM
    i agree

amen
    10-09-11 01:57 PM
    Thank you for this.... I can't believe how hard it is for some of the diehard fanboys on this forum to grasp. Asking for feature implementations is not just us users being whiners or greedy, it's necessary for the Playbook to be successful. We all want the Playbook to be a success in order for it to be developed for, etc.
    Proud fanboy here.
    The idea is well grasped. we understand that if it is to COMPETE with sales of ipad , droid and such it will need this. No argument. What you and many don't grasp is that it is highly functional and useful to many as is - without the necessary entertainment and games and "number of apps" that other tabs have. To those who find utility, it is successful as is. Success is not measured by sales comparisons.

Look at the testimonies in the professional world. A tablet doesn't have to play a million games and have all kinds of media access to be useful and successful. There's an iPad for that. People can buy one or the other or both. One being MORE successful does not exclude the success of another. Its not an either /or kind of thing like VHS vs Betamax.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...tablet-658074/

Would we like more apps? Of course we would. So nobody is arguing with you. I just do not agree that without this Playbook will be a failure and cease to exist. We also know that some droid support and more and more apps and features are coming - the contention seems to be the time it is taking, not whether it will be here or not. Tablets can co-exist in the market, even if one far outsells the other.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 10-09-11 at 02:03 PM.
    10-09-11 01:58 PM
151 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD