I have a bold 9650 and I found out that I used over 8GB in one month! How is this possible?

Note: I do not stream, tether, download(other than apps from app world).

Only apps that are updating are berryweather and blackberry news feeds (update every hour each)

Phone gets used about 8 hours a day, shut completely off at work.

What happened?
    10-06-11 09:55 PM
    Very, very odd. This is impossible because I have around 10 apps refreshing constantly every 10 mins and I stream as well as tether and make it to only 4 GB. That's odd for you

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-06-11 10:15 PM
    I wish this was impossible because my wallet would be much lighter.
    10-06-11 10:24 PM
    Haha I'm sure it would be. Make sure you check everything and be very sure about next month on what you run

10-06-11 10:43 PM
    I went back through my data history and I've been running under 1GB all the time. Crap.
    10-06-11 10:50 PM
    Have you disputed this with your carrier? It could be a mistake or error on the bill.

10-06-11 11:13 PM
    I went back through my data history and I've been running under 1GB all the time. Crap.
    Wow, even getting to one gig is huge. I don't even know if 8 is possible with these devices.
    10-07-11 12:03 AM
    Wow, even getting to one gig is huge. I don't even know if 8 is possible with these devices.
    Well if you stream and all then yes its possible

10-07-11 01:52 AM
    My carrier has sent me warning letters when I was tethering before I got my home service hooked up. I was pushing just over 6 gigs month. But I was heavily streaming and downloading torrents while tethered also. I know the risks involved so I was not bothered by the letters.

I don't know if this is true for all carriers but mine is supposed to cap at 5 gigs and stop. But it never did. Just kept getting the letters.
    10-07-11 02:38 AM
    Can you get a detailed billing? See if there are data charges during the time you have it shut off.
    10-07-11 02:49 AM
    I barely go over 2 GB a month when bridging to my PB 5 days a week.

Get a detailed bill.
    10-07-11 09:13 AM
    ive barely gone over 100MB a month....
    10-07-11 09:47 AM
    You should definitely see a detailed bill and talk to a rep from the billing dept. That seems very odd. You should see how it all breaks down, day by day.
    10-07-11 10:15 AM
    Do you have any mapping applications or location-based social networking applications installed. Any wireless media backup applications?

Mapping apps, such as Google Maps, if not properly shut down after using them, will continue to communicate with cell towers and update maps in the background. If using Google Latitude in addition to Google Maps, it will be looking for friends in the vicinity and updating your location to Latitude. This can eat up a lot of data as you move around, commute, etc. Same with social networking apps where your location is updated and/or mapped.

Media backup applications, such as Lookout Mobile Security and Best Buy's mIQ app will back up contents of your media card, over the air to a remote site unless you specify it not to. For example, if you have a 32 GB MicroSD card installed, mostly filled with music, movies, etc..., well you can figure it out.

To a lesser extent, IM applications, Facebook, etc use up data also but the ones I listed above can be the worst offenders. Ensure unused applications are closed rather than escaping or minimizing it to the background -- especially Google Maps; and for mobile media backup applications, ensure "only back up over wifi" or somesuch is selected to avoid surprise data use, or set backups to manual, especially if roaming.
    10-07-11 10:28 AM
    I use about 6GB p/m also tether and browsing at pc.
    They give me 3GB a month after this they slowdown my speed a little bit without any problems or more money.
    Last month had 7.4GB and every month they put the counter to zero.
    Nice company here.

Enjoy DelftEo

10-07-11 01:14 PM
    Yes this is now looking too odd. You should ask your billing department and reboot your phone. Why am I saying to reboot? You should to make sure all apps shut down. Now only open apps you need and then shut down them when done. To keep your phone running smoothly I recommend Quickpull which reboots your phone daily automatically.

10-07-11 01:22 PM
    I think your carrier messed up. No way you used that much on a bb with basic apps running. I never went above 80 in a month w heavy use. I'm on android now and have only been up to 400mb. I never tethered on either. I would ask for some proof you used that much. Btw android does suck data way more than a bb, basically sane usage and I have that much of a jump lol. Unlimited anyway, but something isn't right in your situation!

10-07-11 04:34 PM
    I have a 8 gb card and you filled it in 1 month?wow

10-07-11 05:28 PM
    Yeah... no way you used that much data. You're getting robbed by your carrier if they're charging you for that much.
    10-07-11 07:00 PM
    Nope. I have no tethering, no steaming apps (well, I do I have one music app, but that hasn't been used in over 3 months), no google maps.

This is what most of my days consist of: Phone off my 8 hours when I'm at work(cause the battery drains even when I have it in standby mode that long and do not touch it. I think it's now related to this data issue). Then I use it for the next six hours for texting, e-mailing, phone calls, opera mini, berryweather, blackberry news feeds, and lexious. This is my average day.
    10-07-11 08:34 PM
    Do you have any mapping applications or location-based social networking applications installed. Any wireless media backup applications?

Mapping apps, such as Google Maps, if not properly shut down after using them, will continue to communicate with cell towers and update maps in the background. If using Google Latitude in addition to Google Maps, it will be looking for friends in the vicinity and updating your location to Latitude. This can eat up a lot of data as you move around, commute, etc. Same with social networking apps where your location is updated and/or mapped.

Media backup applications, such as Lookout Mobile Security and Best Buy's mIQ app will back up contents of your media card, over the air to a remote site unless you specify it not to. For example, if you have a 32 GB MicroSD card installed, mostly filled with music, movies, etc..., well you can figure it out.

To a lesser extent, IM applications, Facebook, etc use up data also but the ones I listed above can be the worst offenders. Ensure unused applications are closed rather than escaping or minimizing it to the background -- especially Google Maps; and for mobile media backup applications, ensure "only back up over wifi" or somesuch is selected to avoid surprise data use, or set backups to manual, especially if roaming.
    Nope, I don't use any of those. I do have the blackberry twitter app, but I've taken a break from twitter for the past few months so I haven't used it.
    10-07-11 08:36 PM
    Yes this is now looking too odd. You should ask your billing department and reboot your phone. Why am I saying to reboot? You should to make sure all apps shut down. Now only open apps you need and then shut down them when done. To keep your phone running smoothly I recommend Quickpull which reboots your phone daily automatically.

I use quickpull too. I asked for the largest days of usage and I have 300MB used in 12 hours and I was asleep during 6-7 of those hours. Service techs are looking into it, will know in a few days. For sure will want a detailed bill.

I think I might have gotten a prototype blackberry QNX by accident. It's clearly a data hog.
    10-07-11 08:40 PM
    Check the amount of zeros in the data charges. I had this problem once. They were counting it at 100 MBs as a GB instead of 1000 MBs to a GB. That would make your usage about 800 MBs which would be right about the same usage you were using.
    10-07-11 08:44 PM
    For reference that means if they charge in KBs like most do. Your reading would have to be in the 8 million range to be GBs. 800,000 KBs is 800 MBs.
    10-07-11 08:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD