So I saw alot of posts regarding PB, no SD card support or USB support for SD card reader etc. I also noticed a few people mention Eye-fi as a possible solution to getting images straight from your camera to the PB but no actual confirmation in any of the posts if it works and if a third party software is required.

I'm going to pick up my PB after work and I REALLY would like to be able to get my pics from my nikon to my PB directly while in the field.Has anyone found a solution to this yet and tested it?

Thanks
    Last edited by TheMimic; 10-06-11 at 01:11 PM.
    10-06-11 01:02 PM
    So I saw alot of posts regarding PB, no SD card support or USB support for SD card reader etc. I also noticed a few people mention Eye-fi as a possible solution to getting images straight from your camera to the PB but no actual confirmation in any of the posts if it works and if a third party software is required.

I'm going to pick up my PB after work and I REALLY would like to be able to get my pics from my nikon to my PB directly while in the field.

Has anyone found a solution to this yet and tested it?

Thanks
    They may have been mentioning wi-fi? With the playbook:

1) Pictures from camera, put them on your computer
    2) be connected to the same wifi as the playbook
    3)have wifi sharing turned on on the playbook
    4) look for the PlayBook in your network, and navigate to the pictures folder and drop them in there to "wire-lessly" put them on your playbook
    10-06-11 01:04 PM
    They may have been mentioning wi-fi? With the playbook:

1) Pictures from camera, put them on your computer
    2) be connected to the same wifi as the playbook
    3)have wifi sharing turned on on the playbook
    4) look for the PlayBook in your network, and navigate to the pictures folder and drop them in there to "wire-lessly" put them on your playbook

I edited my original post so the key portion is in red.

I don't want to go through a pc or laptop and then wi-fi to the pb and drag and drop. I want to be able to do straight from camera and or SD card to PB.
    10-06-11 01:14 PM
    I don't think that the PB is Eye-fi compatible like the iPad or some Android tablets, but I don't have an eye-fi SD card camera either, sorry.
    10-06-11 01:22 PM
    I edited my original post so the key portion is in red.

I don't want to go through a pc or laptop and then wi-fi to the pb and drag and drop. I want to be able to do straight from camera and or SD card to PB.
    Sorry, no.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-06-11 01:23 PM
    Then again, if the PB could run android apps...
    10-06-11 01:30 PM

I'm going to pick up my PB after work and I REALLY would like to be able to get my pics from my nikon to my PB directly while in the field.Has anyone found a solution to this yet and tested it?

Thanks
    Assuming you have a BB phone, maybe use a MicroSD card with an SD adapter in your Nikon. Pop MicroSD into BB and access pics with Bridge Files application.

Something like this?

SanDisk MICROSDADP Microsd / Transflash to SD Adapter
    10-06-11 02:05 PM
    We need an eye-fi app. I posted in the eye-fi forum as a request but did not receive any response. If you drop them a line and tell them you are interested theres a better chance that we'll get it developed. I don't think they believe there is enough demand.

Android and iOS have apps, but we don't.

It's possible that we may get the android app after android player is released, until then sorry nope.
    Last edited by djdnz; 10-06-11 at 02:25 PM.
    mikeplus1 and poorsha like this.
    10-06-11 02:23 PM
    Assuming you have a BB phone, maybe use a MicroSD card with an SD adapter in your Nikon. Pop MicroSD into BB and access pics with Bridge Files application.

Something like this?

SanDisk MICROSDADP Microsd / Transflash to SD Adapter
    This is a bit of a pain, especially with an otterbox on my 9900. I hate taking it off. I really want to go direct PB to camera or SD card/adapter.

There's gotta be a solution here...
    10-06-11 02:38 PM
    Connectivity trough the usb port with external drives or memory sticks is a capability the OMAP processor inside the PB has. However this is not software supported yet. To me This is one of the main improvements RIM has to introduce in the next OS updates.
    mikeplus1 likes this.
    10-06-11 02:38 PM
    Connectivity trough the usb port with external drives or memory sticks is a capability the OMAP processor inside the PB has. However this is not software supported yet. To me This is one of the main improvements RIM has to introduce in the next OS updates.
    If I got a micro USB SD card reader, will my 9900 be able to access it through the USB port?
    10-06-11 02:59 PM
    I don't think that the PB is Eye-fi compatible like the iPad or some Android tablets, but I don't have an eye-fi SD card camera either, sorry.
    Eye-Fi site doesn't say how Direct Mode it's implemented, so we could assume it's via the Eye-Fi going into wifi ad-hoc mode (that PB doesn't support) or the card starts acting like a hot spot (which this Wired article seems to confirm, so the App is simply for authentication and file transfer features, and... there's hope for it to be supported on the PB :-)
    Wolf
    10-06-11 04:47 PM
    wait to pb os 2.0 and then we will see what we can do with the pb, im sure the new os will solve and give a.lot of tools for work, school, homies and games
    10-06-11 06:55 PM
    That's what I decided to do after spending about 2 hours at futureshop playing with all the tablets. It's so unfortunate they left out such a basic and standard component like and sd slot or support of it. I really liked the pb and was planning on getting one yesterday but the bestbuy I was at was sold out. All day I was fired up waiting to leave work and get it but after spending a whole day researching and finding out this is a prob, I'm kinda turned off. Almost every tablet has a micro sd slot on them. It's so annoying wanting a pb and wishing it did too.

I had the last 16g pb put aside at the nearest bestbuy today for pick up and they accidentally sold it b4 I got there. I guess it wasn't meant to be... For now.

I'll see what comes of OS 2.0 at dev con to make my purchase.
    I'm looking at the galaxy, xoom, ipad 2 and PB.

I gotta say one thing though, the ipad 2 was the only one comparable to the smoothness of the pb interfae. Nothing else could multitask like the pb though. It was just fast and never lagged.

One thing I noticed was 7 inch is great but 10 is great too. I thought I was decided on 7 but after my 2hours of play time, I'm back to being undecided...

C'mon RIM...fix theses issues already, it's been 6 months already and we're still sitting around waiting for basic functionality! Sd card support... For crying out loud!

10-06-11 08:47 PM
    USB seems the only way out of this, will be interesting to see if external USB drives will be supported in OS 2.0 - I fear not.
    10-06-11 10:18 PM
    what about this? looks promising with an html5 web browser interface...anyone have any experience with it?

AirStash�: wireless flash drive + pocket media server + SD adapter for iPhone, iPod touch & iPad
    10-07-11 02:52 AM
    what about this? looks promising with an html5 web browser interface...anyone have any experience with it?

AirStash�: wireless flash drive + pocket media server + SD adapter for iPhone, iPod touch & iPad
    That looks like it would definitely resolve the issue except it's 100$ and at that price, why not just get a tablet that supports SD card directly?

...I'm bitter this morning...
    10-07-11 07:20 AM
    That looks like it would definitely resolve the issue except it's 100$ and at that price, why not just get a tablet that supports SD card directly?

...I'm bitter this morning...
    You could:
    1) use a microsd-SD card adapter to put the microsd card into the SD card nikon camera
    2)take the pictures
    3)take the SD card out, take the microsd out of the adapter
    4)put the microsd into your BlackBerry
    5)pair with BlackBerry bridge
    6)go to bridge files and then read off of the media card.

10-07-11 07:25 AM
    You could:
    1) use a microsd-SD card adapter to put the microsd card into the SD card nikon camera
    2)take the pictures
    3)take the SD card out, take the microsd out of the adapter
    4)put the microsd into your BlackBerry
    5)pair with BlackBerry bridge
    6)go to bridge files and then read off of the media card.

Yes, I know but i'm trying to avoid having to removed the otterbox and battery each time.
    10-07-11 07:35 AM
    the OP has a good point. A slot for SD cards would have been a sweet feature on the PB.

I dont know why they left it off without having any other way for the PB to access other devices over wifi such as printers (my printer is connected to my wifi router via ethernet), backup drives (my backup drive is connected to my wifi router via usb) or cameras with built-in wifi support.
    10-07-11 12:40 PM
    I had a closer look at eye-fi and from what I can tell it doesn't require playbook "support" or an app just to transfer files - yes there are "features" that could be added to facilitate deciding what to upload, with an app, but simple file transfer doesn't seem to require it. There is a USB reader and software for setting up the card, but after that I don't see how it would be different than any Network Attached Storage (NAS) device....just another drive on the network.

Can anyone confirm this?
    For photographers in the field it would be a boon to use the playbook for a viewing device, apparently without even removing the wifi enabled SD card from the camera.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-17-11 at 08:51 PM.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    11-17-11 08:48 PM
    I would also like more info on how it actually works with the pb and while the card is in a camera.
    alos how much power it eats in the camera when copying.
    11-17-11 10:01 PM
    I would also like more info on how it actually works with the pb and while the card is in a camera.
    alos how much power it eats in the camera when copying.
    apparently it does use a good amount of camera juice.

Will I have to be the Beta tester on this? Can't believe nobody has tried it.
    11-17-11 10:27 PM
    apparently it does use a good amount of camera juice.

Will I have to be the Beta tester on this? Can't believe nobody has tried it.
    Jump. Jump. Jump......

Will your reviews parallel your reviews of the pb? (G)
    11-17-11 11:14 PM
    I've seen this quite a bit, people wanting to get photos straight from their camera to their playbook. I guess if you're just taking snap shots it would be pretty cool to be able to do this.

As a professional photographer though I haven't ever seen a digital image straight from the camera that didn't need some editing, especially if you capture in raw format. They all need some sharpening, levels adjustment etc.

I would want the finished image if anything on my playbook. Actually I have mine on my website and just log onto my website with my playbook to show them.

If you are only shooting snap shots of the family or something like that, then what's the hurry getting them on the playbook, do you have to have to have them on there right this second?

If you're wanting to preview the image on a larger screen or show them to some one right after you capture the image you can always get a cheap dvd player and connect your camera to it with the cables that came with your camera and show them on the dvd player.
    11-18-11 04:55 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD