I have an unused Windows laptop that I want to set up in my house with a webcam, and be able to go to a website with my Playbook and view the video from the cam via a hotel wifi network? Can anyone point me in the right direction to do this?
    10-03-11 03:39 PM
    skip the laptop and snag a TP-Link TL-SC3130G then all you need to do is setup a dyndns and port forward in your router.
    Last edited by Zoban; 10-03-11 at 03:58 PM.
    10-03-11 03:52 PM
    Sample with mine..

anon(3641385) and eszklar like this.
    10-03-11 03:55 PM
    this is waht i want to do, but i was hoping to keep things simple, hence the laptop.
    10-03-11 05:05 PM
    You could use a site like webcam now.com or ustream
    10-03-11 05:20 PM
    The tplink cam is simple as **** to setup.. cost about 100bucks for the wifi version..
    also will be a lot less maintainence then a full laptop not to mention the power usage..

Do not use a dlink cam they don't work with the PB browser (I have two of those as well)
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    10-03-11 06:32 PM
    The simplist way to do what you are asking is to download the Reelportal app onto your Playbook and then to go to the reelportal website on your laptop and start watching!

ReelPortal Video Chat - Home
    10-03-11 06:49 PM
    Zoban, are you viewing that camera? Is it software or the browser?
    10-03-11 07:05 PM
    I created an easy and quick setup. Took an Acer netbook with three USB eye toy cams for playstation that I purchased from Game Stop for $2 each (used). I then downloaded a hacked xp driver for the cams that incorporates amcap. I use RDM+ or Logmein for remote viewing. Not the best quality, but cheap. As far as I know the driver for the eye toy is only available for xp.
    10-03-11 07:44 PM
    I wrote a webpage for BlueIris that works perfectly from all my BB browsers (OS4.5-7 tested) and the PB browser. Honestly it works with pretty much any browser out there and from my testing it does so well.

BlueIris is a camera monitoring software that hooks to many of the IP based cams out there and will also work with USB connected cameras. Very slick and worth the $$ in my book, the included web server for the connected cameras is what feeds it to my devices. I just have authentication turned on and I can access all my cams from wherever I'm at without needing to sign up with a 3rd party to deliver it to me.

All done through a dynamic DNS provider and BlueIris, works great for me!
    10-04-11 12:57 AM
    The image I'm looking at in the Playbook browser is the webpage of the camera itself..

Internally the page would be http://192.168.1.x but I have forwarded a port in my router to it's IP as port 80 (to not hurt my existing webserver in house here. So the URL from outside or anywhere works as http://www.mydomain.com:xx where xx is the port I have translating/forwarded to the internal cam IP.

Actually have a second port for another cam in the backyard as well..

I can find a walk through of the basic config if people are interested ..
    10-04-11 08:46 AM
    +1 I would be interested in a walk through of the config

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-04-11 08:54 AM
    Just checked the Tp-link site and they have a couple great walk throughs in thier faq section..

FAQ - Welcome to TP-LINK=

Mine's configured differently then shown but the end result is the same ..

Not the IP Surveilence software the Playbook doesn't like due to activeX stuff but you can run it on a pc as a security DVR system and still view cams individually from the playbook etc .
    10-04-11 09:18 AM
    I was testing with ORB to stream videos/pictures from my laptop to my playbook and it works pretty good. Its free to use. It also works with streaming from the webcam.

More info>>>

http://forums.crackberry.com/f222/ho...hlight=orb.com

http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...d-free-612492/
    10-04-11 06:13 PM
    i use yawcam. really easy to setup all you need to ensure is that your UPnP is setup on your router then get a fixed IP using dyndns. honestly its easy peasy. David Harvey 2.1 Server - Home/
    Chuck_W likes this.
    10-05-11 12:48 AM
    The simplist way to do what you are asking is to download the Reelportal app onto your Playbook and then to go to the reelportal website on your laptop and start watching!

ReelPortal Video Chat - Home
    With ReelPortal, you can also hook up a few webcams (front, back, left, right) on the same laptop, and see them all simultaneously on your Playbook. Here's some instructions:

Reel Talk - www.ReelPortal.com: How to Use

See "Case 3: Video Surveillance for Your Home"
    10-05-11 05:36 AM
    Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread! Im going to be checking out all of the alternatives
    10-05-11 11:42 AM
    All of these apps require the computer to be on, correct? I have a couple Linksys WVC80N that cannot be seen on the Playbook because of ActiveX. Are there any apps available that don't require the use of a computer?

Thanks,
    David
    10-05-11 11:56 AM
    The TPlink that I mentioned doesn't require a PC nor activeX. native browser on the playbook straight to the camera's builtin webpage.

Even works on the bridge broswer though speed reduced of course.
    10-05-11 01:56 PM
    All of these apps require the computer to be on, correct? I have a couple Linksys WVC80N that cannot be seen on the Playbook because of ActiveX. Are there any apps available that don't require the use of a computer?

Thanks,
    David
    I bought a 30 pc off ebay and stuck it under the bed in spare room. I remote in on it using my playbook to make any changes on the hfs server or webcam. Works great.

10-05-11 04:31 PM
    I bought a 30 pc off ebay and stuck it under the bed in spare room. I remote in on it using my playbook to make any changes on the hfs server or webcam. Works great.

How do you remote in to the PC from the PlayBook? Would love to be able to do that.

Thanks!
    10-06-11 07:14 AM
    You can do it using orb caster as well through your browser
    10-06-11 07:55 AM
    To answer the original question re: enabling webcam on a laptop and viewing it remotely, there's a service called Camcloud I use with my PB and it works well. It does the remote webcam monitoring the poster requested, and also supports motion detection for the webcam, and automated recording of motion events, etc.

good luck,
    yadayada
    04-28-12 05:40 AM
    I've done the very thing that the OP is suggesting. I am using an old netbook to run an HD webcam. I had the netbook and webcam. I am using WebcamXP, a free app for a single camera use, on the netbook to act as the web server for the camera.

I have other Axis CCTV IP cameras mounted outside that have their Web servers built in.

I can access each camera through their respective web servers, but I also use Blue Iris to act as my DVR for the whole system.

For viewing on the PlayBook, I use IP Cam Viewer, available through App World as an Android app, to view all three at the same time. I can also use the Blue Iris Web server or the individual cameras' web servers to view the cameras directly.

The only issue I have found is that I haven't figured out how to specify a particular port for a given IP in the native PB browser. But Simple Browser allows it no problem. To access the camera's Web browser directly, you set up a port forward for each camera and assign them individual port numbers on your broadband router. Then you enter your external IP address assigned by your ISP, followed by the port number you assigned and forwarded for a particular camera. It looks something like this: 123.45.67.89:6005

Lastly, I do like and would recommend IP Cam Viewer as you don't have to mess with separate web pages for each camera. They also make a BB 7 compatible app so you can view them on your BB phone.

Old Ag
    04-28-12 07:35 AM
    Wow all this webcam stuff blows my mind...... The PB is so darn versatile that just when i think i'm across most of the different things it can do i read about something else! .
    Hgouck likes this.
    04-28-12 08:24 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD