Hi everyone,

After cancelling my data plan with Rogers, I'm experiencing a weird problem with my unlocked Bold 9700 running on OS6: the apps used to be able to running on wifi only (logicmail, BeeJiveIm, Whatsapp, Viigo Crackberry Ed., Poynt, etc.) will work for a while and then suddenly become unable to connect to the network. Here are the details:

I had a data plan with Rogers here in Canada, but because I had just moved from Manitoba to Ontario, my old plan was terminated. That's why I don't have a data plan right now. You guys outside of Canada may be not familiar how much of rip-off the Canadian cellular prices are compared to almost any other country in the world, so I was happy that the data plan is gone. I knew that although the way Blackberries use wifi is quite different than Androids and iPhones (has to go through BIS, most apps won't work without data plan even in wifi coverage, etc.), I can still use those 3rd party wifi enabled apps such as logicmail. I downloaded them, and all the aforementioned apps worked fine in the beginning. However, the next morning, when I was trying to check my email through logicmail, I realized that it pops out a message saying "Unable to open connection". Right after this I went to try out other wifi enabled apps, turns out that none of them worked, except the default browser. The wifi reception was excellent, I could browse the internet through the default browser just fine, but all the apps were unable to connect. I didn't know what was going on. I didn't change anything between before I went to sleep and after, but now the apps just wouldn't work anymore.

So as the rule of thumb, I pulled out the battery and restarted the phone. Guess what, the problem was fixed! After the phone rebooted up, all the apps went back normal, no problem to connect at all! But happiness doesn't last long, after about 6 hours, when I check back my phone, I realized that the problem came back again, none of those apps were able to connect while the default browser works like a charm...

So up to this point, seems the data connection will be lost if the phone has been idling for a few hours, or if I change the wifi network from one to the other (i.e. from the wifi in my house to the one at school will terminate my connection). Yet the only solution to my connection problem is to reboot the phone. It works every single time, but this is very inconvenient, as I have to pull out the battery every time I move and you know how long does a blackberry take to reboot.

Do you guys know what is going on with my Bold 9700? I have never dropped it or any other kinds of abuse. The cellular connection is strong all the time, the problem is only about connecting those wifi enabled apps to their servers to let them function. A lot thanks!
    10-03-11 09:42 AM
    This is because the servicebooks are missing and there is no data plan. Since nothing can go through BIS at this point, it's only a short time before data gets cut off. Either you can tack on a dirt-cheap data plan, or just use a computer to check your e-mail like I sometimes do when things aren't working right.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-03-11 04:21 PM
    This is because the servicebooks are missing and there is no data plan. Since nothing can go through BIS at this point, it's only a short time before data gets cut off. Either you can tack on a dirt-cheap data plan, or just use a computer to check your e-mail like I sometimes do when things aren't working right.

Hi RB thanks for your input! Yeah it should be something to do with my servicebooks and Rogers cut off my data. Meanwhile, something confusing is that why those "wifi enabled" apps stopped working as well? Apps like Logic Mail used to work on my phone without BIS. But now I have to reboot once a while to let it work.
    10-16-11 11:35 AM
    Hi RB thanks for your input! Yeah it should be something to do with my servicebooks and Rogers cut off my data. Meanwhile, something confusing is that why those "wifi enabled" apps stopped working as well? Apps like Logic Mail used to work on my phone without BIS. But now I have to reboot once a while to let it work.
    Yup, you'll have to continue doing so, as you don't have the wifi servicebooks for those apps. Adding the data back on and just using wifi, will likely prevent you from going over the cap.

10-16-11 03:38 PM
    I have the same problem via my 9700 OS 6.0.0.526. On rogers. Anyone got a fix for us non-data users?
    02-29-12 10:30 AM
    I have the same problem via my 9700 OS 6.0.0.526. On rogers. Anyone got a fix for us non-data users?
    Best thing is to read through the thread and stick to the link I provided with the wifi only apps. There is no legal way to evade HIS.
    zi199ziyou likes this.
    02-29-12 10:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD