I know that RIM will be releasing OS 2.0 either on or after DevCon to the general public. Exactly when is a subject of much debate, and best be left to other threads.

I suspect that there will be more announced at DevCon than simply OS 2.0... I have a gut feeling (not based on any solid evidence) that RIM will announce Microsoft Office for BlackBerry PlayBook. The full suite, free, done.

There may be another announcements like Skype, but it will be MS Office that will steal the show and will truly push the PlayBook into "professional grade" territory.

Thoughts?
    10-03-11 05:18 AM
    As I writted it before, the man who demonstrated me my PB in a store (FNAC) was a ... MS sales-force one. Between the lines, when talking about windows and office compatibility, I (he didn't say it clearly but he "conspirator smiled") understood that it won't be a problem ... sooner or later.
    I'm crossing fingers for that feeling to become reality; but ... "free" ... then I should say "dreams come true" !
    10-03-11 05:30 AM
    I would take that bet. It's not going to happen.

RIM has its Docs2Go suite. It just needs to make those apps better than they are now. They should at least be as acompetitive as the Android version of those apps.

As it stands, there is MS Office available as a cloud based application.
    10-03-11 06:35 AM
    I'd take a skype app before a full on ms office. I think for doc editing u still can't beat a notebook/desktop.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-03-11 06:42 AM
    If they do it isn't going to be free.
    Send Again and Rello like this.
    10-03-11 06:42 AM

RIM has its Docs2Go suite. It just needs to make those apps better than they are now. They should at least be as acompetitive as the Android version of those apps.

I agree this will not happen.
    10-03-11 06:52 AM
    Nothing is better then a good rumor before a developers conference, or any kind of planned announcement. What a great month for tech people. Apple doing their thing tomorrow, DevCon in a couple weeks. It's exciting.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-03-11 08:22 AM
    I'd be shocked. MS has their own tablet OS coming. I would think they would release Office for it 1st.

They could making a killing selling different mobile version of Office though
    10-03-11 08:28 AM
    Well, I quite agree with you. In fact, I was about to edit my post (ahum just before the formum got ?upgraded?) to precise my point of view.

- MS & RIM have worked together already. See http://crackberry.com/rim-mobilizes-...int-blackberry by Bla1ze.
    - MS strategy is moving (at least as a target) to the Cloud Thing.

But there could be a "boxed" offer, with a specific client for the PB ... may it be ... Silverlight compatible ;-)
    10-03-11 08:33 AM
    If they don't give it free, it certainly would be a good upgrade over Documents to Go. One of the biggest things lacking in tablet apps is a full-fledged office suite. Microsoft Office is the industry standard, so it being offered exclusively for the PlayBook would put it on the map. It could be a game changer.
    10-03-11 08:36 AM
    I'd be shocked. MS has their own tablet OS coming. I would think they would release Office for it 1st.

The Office suite that you have for your desktop/laptop would be the same as the one for their tablet. I know my tablet has a full office suite already on it. Version 2003 I believe.
    10-03-11 08:36 AM
    The Office suite that you have for your desktop/laptop would be the same as the one for their tablet. I know my tablet has a full office suite already on it. Version 2003 I believe.
    I was thinking I read the ARM tablet version of Win8 wouldn't support the x86 Office.
    10-03-11 08:41 AM
    No way is this going to happen... RIM completely wasted their money buying the docs2go developer (can't remember who the app dev is)..... MS Office for pb is NOT gonna happen... That's my gut.

But I'm truly hoping for silverlight... I'd even pay money for it - lol

10-03-11 08:42 AM
    I was thinking I read the ARM tablet version of Win8 wouldn't support the x86 Office.
    Whoa. You are typing above my computer knowledge. x86 is 32bit Yes?

Not sure what the compatibility issues are or are going to be but I can't see how much different the Tablet version of Office and the Desktop/Laptop version would be. My XP Tablet had the same version as my desktops except for enabling the pen/touch input.
    10-03-11 08:46 AM
    I think the "enemy of my enemy is my friend" philosophy will push RIM and Microsoft together in a few ways to stand up to Apple. I remember getting an e-mail from RIM earlier this year asking if I wanted Microsoft Office on my PlayBook.
    10-03-11 09:16 AM
    If they do it isn't going to be free.
    I would GLADLY Pay $15/year for a Mobile Office license that I can transfer from device to device.

or a one time fee of $30ish per device.
    10-03-11 09:18 AM

I think it would serve Microsoft better strategically to throw support behind RIM with it's Office suite,

IF Microsoft makes RIM and Windows7.5/8 phones the only phones will Office it keeps Google based Android, and iOS devices more out of Enterprise because they can leverage Windows and Office Tools to the Devices, and since RIM doesn't make anything but Phones to compete with Microsoft, they can get Software revenue from RIM users, AND not have to fight on the server side, the desktop side, or the ad revenue side with RIM

IT IS a Win Win Situation, and the fact BB's have unique PIN's adds to the anti piracy for Microsoft
    10-03-11 09:22 AM
    I think it would serve Microsoft better strategically to throw support behind RIM with it's Office suite,

IF Microsoft makes RIM and Windows7.5/8 phones the only phones will Office it keeps Google based Android, and iOS devices more out of Enterprise because they can leverage Windows and Office Tools to the Devices, and since RIM doesn't make anything but Phones to compete with Microsoft, they can get Software revenue from RIM users, AND not have to fight on the server side, the desktop side, or the ad revenue side with RIM

IT IS a Win Win Situation, and the fact BB's have unique PIN's adds to the anti piracy for Microsoft
    Agreed 100%. The two companies have more in common and can (again) corner the business market with highly secure phones and tablets that can run the mainstream business productivity software.
    10-03-11 09:25 AM
    RIM announced an MS SharePoint client for Blackberry phones today so anything is possible.
    If MS Office for Playbook does materialize, will it be free? I doubt it.
    10-03-11 09:25 AM
    I think the "enemy of my enemy is my friend" philosophy will push RIM and Microsoft together in a few ways to stand up to Apple. I remember getting an e-mail from RIM earlier this year asking if I wanted Microsoft Office on my PlayBook.
    Don't see it when MS has their own OS coming out and knowing Office will help push numbers. RIM at this point has nothing to offer MS in terms of moving units.

MS is already in bed with Apple as there is a Mac version of Office and there is a OneNote app for iOS.

There is no enemy. Only Green
    10-03-11 09:26 AM
    Google is more an Enemy to Microsoft than Apple is

Google fights for Ad revenue
    Google fights for Web Search
    Google fights for Browser Space
    Google fights for Enterprise email
    Google fights for Mobile OS space
    Google is trying to get a PC OS off the ground
    Google uses the same hardware manufacturers as Microsoft
    Kerms likes this.
    10-03-11 09:27 AM
    Keep your expectations for DevCon very low, otherwise you run the risk of being severely disappointed IMHO. I have a feeling RIM won't deliver on the OS2.0 hype, or even what they said they would deliver at the end of summer and didn't.
    simpsonsguy316 likes this.
    10-03-11 09:32 AM
    I would GLADLY Pay $15/year for a Mobile Office license that I can transfer from device to device.

or a one time fee of $30ish per device.
    Well of course! Most of us business guys would easy drop that kind of money... Even 30/yr would be ok... Especially talking playbook... Blackberry handsets maybe not.

A little off topic, but probably not worth starting a new thread for is this:

I bought a game for my pb when it first launched.... Then when I got my 9900 I had noticed while flipping through the "uninstalled" column in my appworld, that the game I purchased on my pb was available on my 9900. To my amazement and enjoyment I only had to purchase once, but was able to install it on two different devices (both tied to my same bbid)... This is a good thing. Lol

10-03-11 09:42 AM
    I think @ $30 on any tablet it would sell like crazy.
    10-03-11 10:00 AM
    Keep your expectations for DevCon very low, otherwise you run the risk of being severely disappointed IMHO. I have a feeling RIM won't deliver on the OS2.0 hype, or even what they said they would deliver at the end of summer and didn't.
    What fun is that

I have a feeling they will deliver; they know they have too. It's like the new iPhone 5 being announced tomorrow. Do you think it's going to be a revamped iPhone 4 with minor changes? Probably not. When you only have 1 phone in your product line, it better be a significant change.

I think we'll see big changes. Similar to the Mango update for Windows Phone 7. The first iteration of that phone was not feature rich, and that's being nice. They made a big splash with the latest update to 7.5.
    10-03-11 10:05 AM
91 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD