I just started using my new 9930 with the pod in bedside mode as an alarm clock. Never did this with any other BlackBerry before.

It seems like the screen, even though dimmed, stays on all the time which is desired -- but does this have any adverse impact on the life of the screen? Will it wear out quicker?

Probably already know the answer, just want to here some thoughts and opinions on using it this way.
    09-29-11 08:27 AM
    In the past, I've owned 97xx and everytime I charged my phone on a cradle, my screen is always stay on (Leave It On app) and not even in bedside mode, and has no impact on the life of the screen.. So not to worry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-29-11 09:24 AM
    No. It will not hurt the screen. If your BlackBerry had a CRT display, then maybe... although I doubt the phone would be particularly portable at that point.
    09-29-11 10:11 AM
    It would take years of being plugged in all day, every day for the screen to show any effect at all --
    09-29-11 10:24 AM
    The age old rule still applies here: "The less wear, the less tear."

Applies to anything even with a quoted "10 year" life.
    09-29-11 12:19 PM
    if the old doesnt tear, there will be one less reason for a new one!
    09-29-11 01:21 PM
    Yes it will. After so long, your screen will experience wrinkling and sore, stiff button joints. You will no longer be able to take your phone on a jog, walk, or any other physical activity. It may need a new battery door replacement because the old one will be clicky and squeaky.

Reality: My 9000 and 9650 were on for years in bedside mode and heavy screen use. Absolutely nothing happens to it. They tick on forever.
    09-30-11 06:49 AM
    Just to give you some background info. Both, YES BOTH, LCDs and CRTs have the ability burn the screen. However the time it takes to have that impact on LCD is almost four times that of CRTs. LCD is not highly depend on how long the screen is on BUT it depends on something call white balance. If the screen is lit with more white than black it reduce the wear out. So RIM placed this additional safty feature in there for the bedside. In addition if you look closely under a magnification you will see that RIM, Apple and many others also use switching of cells. The LCD cells are turn on and off that cannot be detected by human eye right away. This is to prevent burn out as well. Combined this with white balance; when you plug in with bedside mode, the clock face looks a bit washout than when you just pull out the clock.

Having said that even without proper black/white (dark/light) balance, your phone's LCD will be able to out perform the life of your phone. No one use a cellphone for a 10 years these days.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by mss-ca; 09-30-11 at 05:36 PM. Reason: spell error correct
    09-30-11 09:19 AM
    I always thought a clock was a better idea.
    09-30-11 11:23 AM
    Great. I didn't even THINK to worry about that. Now I'm sure I will probably imagine I see my clock burned into my screen. Good reason to just go get another when something newer comes out I guess.
    09-30-11 04:36 PM
    THIS is seriously a thing you SHOULD NOT worry about.
    As a member already explained in a long way, it has nothing to
    say if you charge it for years. 2nd: You will prolly buy a new berry within the next 12-24 months. aka You have a guarantee/insurance or whatever, if it breaks down, you will get a replacement/new one Hope this helps!
    09-30-11 05:28 PM
    The best alarm clock I have ever owned is my motorola droid. I bought it back when it came out. About 6 months later, I bought a new phone. My droid has been sitting next to my bed in a cradle for over a year. No damage at all. People say lcds can get burn in images, but my guess is it would take a decade. So in two years when you get a new phone, no damage will be done to your screen due to bed side mode.

10-03-11 11:03 PM
    Sorry I didn't want to start a new thread, however I'm wondering about bedside mode. I know it will dim the screen a little however I still find it to not be dim enough. Having the phone next to me while I sleep, I can still see the light shining on the ceiling. Is there a way to just keep the screen off with the alarm clock on? Sorry in advance if this is a noob question or has been discussed before.
    10-04-11 01:46 AM
    Alarm has nothing to do with bedside mode...it works regardless of mode. Just set the option to NOT enter bedside mode when plugged in if you don't want to see the clock.
    10-04-11 04:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD