Hi all,

I've come over from iphone to a BB Torch on Orange UK using BIS.

I've set up my gmail IMAP accounts (one standard and one apps) using the recommended protocols from online forums - not putting in passwords on the auto-configure and manually configuring the imap address etc. It seems to work... albeit clunky.

However I'm still having issues with 2 way sync when amending the webmail- it is not updating the BB with either marked read and doesn't automatically del/archive from the message list on the BB when I archive or delete on webmail.

No problem if I use the BB as the control- the webmail updates almost instantly. But like a lot of people, the BB will be for out and about and to keep in touch at weekends/evenings, not my primary daytime email 'client'. The last thing I want is to have to delete a day's worth of messages from a BB at 5pm or wait 30 days for the BB to automatically expunge the messages.

Are there any updates on this? A thread search reveals this is a reptitive theme, but a lot of the last posts are from over a year ago and I was hoping/anticipating something might have been done about this.

cheers

James
    09-29-11 08:13 AM
    Hi all,

I've come over from iphone to a BB Torch on Orange UK using BIS.

I've set up my gmail IMAP accounts (one standard and one apps) using the recommended protocols from online forums - not putting in passwords on the auto-configure and manually configuring the imap address etc. It seems to work... albeit clunky.

However I'm still having issues with 2 way sync when amending the webmail- it is not updating the BB with either marked read and doesn't automatically del/archive from the message list on the BB when I archive or delete on webmail.

No problem if I use the BB as the control- the webmail updates almost instantly. But like a lot of people, the BB will be for out and about and to keep in touch at weekends/evenings, not my primary daytime email 'client'. The last thing I want is to have to delete a day's worth of messages from a BB at 5pm or wait 30 days for the BB to automatically expunge the messages.

Are there any updates on this? A thread search reveals this is a reptitive theme, but a lot of the last posts are from over a year ago and I was hoping/anticipating something might have been done about this.

cheers

James
    2 way gmail sync is not supported on blackberry, there is no way to make a message show as READ on your phone by reading it on the webmail client, or anywhere else.
    09-29-11 08:15 AM
    Is this 2 way sync really not possible on Blackberry?
    09-29-11 08:45 AM
    Is this 2 way sync really not possible on Blackberry?
    nope, people have complained about it for years.
    09-29-11 08:46 AM
    I tought it has this functionality now. It was discussed on bbgeeks few months ago. The two way sync was considered as functional but the sync of read/unread status is performed once per hour.
    09-29-11 08:51 AM
    That's not quite true. I've lived and worked in the US, Canada and Italy and I can say that gmail did sync with my phone in all cases. From phone to computer, the change is almost instant as you pointed out, however from computer to phone the change could take up to several hours.

I'm not sure I follow exactly how you set up your phone, but I would just use the email settings app on your bb and choose gmail from there. Also you should make sure you have the "enhanced gmail plugin" installed. Check the web for more info.
    09-29-11 08:52 AM
    i know i've read a few times it's supposed to work, it doesn't work on either of my BB's os6 and os5, some people say it takes forever to work, some it never works at all, if it's polling for it that isn't really sync, but whatever. i've never witnessed it working, maybe i'm just not patient enough for it, waiting hours is ridiculous.
    09-29-11 08:56 AM
    2 way gmail sync is not supported on blackberry, there is no way to make a message show as READ on your phone by reading it on the webmail client, or anywhere else.
    That is not true. BlackBerry supports full two-way sync. From the device to the web is instant, but from the web to the device can take from a few minutes to a few hours but it will sync. If yours doesn't then it is not configured properly.
    09-29-11 09:12 AM
    it's more likely i just end up fixing it manually, it's definitely set up right. i'll wait it out next time i turn one on and see. never did understand why it's so wishy washy since email is supposed to be a strength, and it is, but the way it's done, dunno, i don't like bis/bes very much, it creates a middle man, and today, there is just no reason for that.
    09-29-11 09:16 AM
    Two-way sync does work on BlackBerry, just not as many people would like.

If you read/delete a message on your device, it will reflect in Gmail on the web almost instantly.

If you read an email on the web, it will eventually sync with your device, however not instantly (sometimes it takes hours).

If you delete and email on the web, it will not show as deleted on your device (and will remain on the device until you delete it).
    09-29-11 10:02 AM
    Thanks everyone- okay so this has been a problem for well over a couple of years and BB still haven't sorted it... deleting two sets of emails one from a mobile device, one from your webmail... jeez, that's like so last decade!

... I'll be sending it back to Orange as I'm still in my cooling off period from my upgrade- might as well give Android a go.

James
    09-29-11 10:29 AM
    Two-way sync does work on BlackBerry, just not as many people would like.

If you read/delete a message on your device, it will reflect in Gmail on the web almost instantly.

If you read an email on the web, it will eventually sync with your device, however not instantly (sometimes it takes hours).

If you delete and email on the web, it will not show as deleted on your device (and will remain on the device until you delete it).
    Adam - do you know why it takes so long for web>BB sync? Is this something that Google and RIM are working on to improve?
    09-29-11 09:22 PM
    I would hope they are working on it. But you have to figure if it were something simple it would have been done already
    09-29-11 09:25 PM
    Is two way sync with GMail 'better' now, i.e. if I delete from GMail online, it will delete from my BlackBerry (even if I have to wait a while)?

Thanks all
    10-25-12 11:58 AM
    ...anyone else?
    10-26-12 07:34 AM
    Here's what I've experienced (Bold 9900):
    - Delete on my BB will delete on Desktop/web gmail
    - Delete on Desktop/Web gmail will delete on my BB but it varies. Sometimes it'll take 1 hour sometimes it'll take hours.
    - Mark as read on my BB shows mark as read on my Desktop/Web gmail
    - Mark as read on my Desktop/Web gmail will not show read on BB
    - Sending e-mail to my self on BB doesnt show the e-mail on BB, but shows on Desktop/Web gmail

All these issues will be fixed when using BB10 with ActiveSync as all of it works just fine with the PlayBook using the Messages app.

Cheers
    10-26-12 08:45 AM
    ...anyone else?
    On every BB I have used (Tour, Curve 3G, Torch 9850, and Bold 9930), the sync back to the device in terms of deletion (delete on webmail or IMAP mail client and have it delete back on the device) is not there, as is mentioned by others. The mark read part I never pay attention to.

But delete "on Mailbox and Handheld" on your phone does what you expect, deletes it "everywhere".

My routine is either delete only on handheld and leave a copy on the server if it is something I will need to refer to over a long term on a PC. Or not delete at all if I need a copy on my phone as a reminder. Some things I will "file" on the device.

So I never really use a PC to check emails. I do it all on the phone. I simply refer to emails on my PC as needed.

Weird? Yeah. Oh well.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-26-12 09:11 AM
    Blackberry's email "Strength" has always been only BES, BIS solutions have always sucked. This is one of the reasons they are faltering, they ignored the non corporate customer. As of yet I have not been able to find any information that indicates this will change with BB10.
    10-26-12 10:11 AM
    ...thanks for all the responses. I knew the 'answer', I was more curious if anything had changed in two years or so.

A shame really, since Android and iOS users are use to instant 'sync' of emails.
    10-26-12 12:04 PM
    ...thanks for all the responses. I knew the 'answer', I was more curious if anything had changed in two years or so.

A shame really, since Android and iOS users are use to instant 'sync' of emails.
    True but with the qwerty KB I am so much faster at manipulating emails that this sync shortcoming is more than offset in terms of me being productive. If there was a way to have activesync and the BB keyboard shortcuts I would like that. Supposedly this is what BB10 will be.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-26-12 12:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD