Regardless of the fact that some features are missing in the Fire (microphone, cameras, BT, GPS, HDMI, storage), the Amazon tablet has a couple of sweet things I would love to see in my Playbook.

- Extra durable display (Gorilla Glass?). I still don't understand why RIM used the plastic for the PB's display because it would have cost them just a tiny fraction of the original price to go with Gorilla.

- IPS screen. Same as above. How much more does a 7" IPS screen cost over a TN display? I still think that PB's display is great but IPS would have made so much difference (I have an IPS HDTV and have seen the IPS screens on the iPad and Galaxy Tab. I was so impressed, especially, by the display on the Samsung).

And of course Email and Android apps that we are hoping to see implemented in OS 2.0.
    09-28-11 11:04 PM
    Don't mention the price.
    ferganer, algutier and howarmat like this.
    09-28-11 11:08 PM
    Problem is, Most people don't say.
    Hey the Fire has an IPS screen and the PB doesn't.
    Or Wow. Gorilla glass? I'm getting the PlayBook!
    They chose the obvious. 3MP front and 5MP back camera?
    Awesome Multitasking?

It really wouldn't have made much of a difference in sales. IMO.
    bounce007 likes this.
    09-28-11 11:08 PM
    Awesome Multitasking?

I would respectfully disagree. IPS and Gorilla Glass, if properly marketed, can sway some of potential customers into buying the product.

In any case, I was just saying it would be great to see the IPS screen and Gorilla Glass implemented in the playbook. Especially, considering that this wouldn't probably have added too much to the production costs ($15-20?).
    Last edited by ferganer; 09-28-11 at 11:16 PM.
    09-28-11 11:13 PM
    Regardless of the fact that some features are missing in the Fire (microphone, cameras, BT, GPS, HDMI, storage), the Amazon tablet has a couple of sweet things I would love to see in my Playbook.

- Extra durable display (Gorilla Glass?). I still don't understand why RIM used the plastic for the PB's display because it would have cost them just a tiny fraction of the original price to go with Gorilla.

- IPS screen. Same as above. How much more does a 7" IPS screen cost over a TN display? I still think that PB's display is great but IPS would have made so much difference (I have an IPS HDTV and have seen the IPS screens on the iPad and Galaxy Tab. I was so impressed, especially, by the display on the Samsung).

And of course Email and Android apps that we are hoping to see implemented in OS 2.0.
    Really? RIM used plastic on the display? I don't think so, I'm disappointed slightly it's not Gorilla Glass, but it ain't plastic.

I can assure you, whatever that LCD is in the Playbook, it ain't no regular TN display. I design stuff like this for a living and I've breathed LCD's the past 2 years. If that ain't an IPS display, it's some equivalent (e.g. MVA, PVA, whatever). Anybody who has worked with a TN will know it within 2 seconds of looking at the device. The Playbook screen is real good, it doesn't take a back seat to the one on my iPad. Get your eyes checked.
    09-28-11 11:45 PM
    Really? RIM used plastic on the display? I don't think so, I'm disappointed slightly it's not Gorilla Glass, but it ain't plastic.

I can assure you, whatever that LCD is in the Playbook, it ain't no regular TN display. I design stuff like this for a living and I've breathed LCD's the past 2 years. If that ain't an IPS display, it's some equivalent (e.g. MVA, PVA, whatever). Anybody who has worked with a TN will know it within 2 seconds of looking at the device. The Playbook screen is real good, it doesn't take a back seat to the one on my iPad. Get your eyes checked.

Thanks for the advice but I have 20/20

If what you say is right, then this again demonstrates how bad RIM's marketing is.
    09-28-11 11:51 PM
    Ideally a company wants to differentiate their products from a competitors via different software, available apps and yes hardware. I don't own a PB, however if I did I think I would be pissed at the fact that Amazon copied it. Granted some capabilities are not the same, but that immediate recognition of brand is gone.

Also RIM has a reputation for generally putting out quality hardware and the fact that they chose NOT to go with Gorilla glass is something that should be questioned.

Kindle's overall design has evolved year to year, I don't see why RIM couldn't do the same with the Playbook. Refine the overall design (increase available screen size and descrease bezel width) and release the 2nd generation of the Playbook. And get agreements from manufacturer NOT to copy the device for another company.
    10-07-11 09:22 PM
    Gorilla glass doesn't mean anything. A good case is all you need. I take my playbook in some of harshest conditions, I work in foundrys and steel mills, and I have one hairline scratch on it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-08-11 09:09 AM
    Kindle Fire = vaporware, nobody has yet used it!
    how can anyone at this point conclude it is better than playbook in any form?
    10-08-11 10:02 AM
    Awesome Multitasking?

I disagree. Some people will not buy a touchscreen if the screen is plastic. That includes me. I want a quality screen, gorilla glass to be exact. I make sure all my touchscreens have it before I buy it. That being said, I still do think the PBs screen is glass, and it very well may be gorilla glass, I never cared to look it up because I dont have an interest in tablets. Only reason I'm getting one is because I am getting one for free. Otherwise, I have no use since my smartphone does everything.

Gorilla glass can definitely be marketed, but it is harder to really make use of the marketing when the rest of the main competition is using it as well. It would be just another "we have it to" type deal, but that still helps.

Also, Samsung markets their screens and it helps. I am sure marketing IPS can help as well.
    Last edited by avt123; 10-08-11 at 10:37 AM.
    10-08-11 10:29 AM
    RIM does use Gorilla Glass. That's my understanding.
    10-08-11 10:32 AM
    Watch this video and read comments. Someone says it is gorilla glass.

What happens when gravity meets a BlackBerry PlayBook
    10-08-11 10:43 AM
    Kindle Fire = vaporware, nobody has yet used it!
    how can anyone at this point conclude it is better than playbook in any form?
    I was going to post this same thought but you beat me to it. Lets wait until this product has actually been seen and touched by users. A certain iPhone 5 that was supposed to be announced Oct 4th comes to mind.
    10-08-11 10:45 AM
    I disagree. Some people will not buy a touchscreen if the screen is plastic. That includes me. I want a quality screen, gorilla glass to be exact. I make sure all my touchscreens have it before I buy it.

Also, Samsung markets their screens and it helps. I am sure marketing IPS can help as well.
    I agree. You can really feel the difference between a plastic screen and glass. And the durability of Gorilla Glass is just amazing. A friend of mine had a bad habit of falling asleep with his Android phone in hand, thereby dropping the phone on the floor almost every night. After a couple of months his phone was all beat up and scratched, but the display was as good as the day he bought it.

And thanks to the tech press and bloggers, people who are into gaddfgets these days know about things like "qhd" "ips screens" "SAMOLED " and ''gorilla glass". They're increasingly becoming selling points.
    10-08-11 10:54 AM
    from the pre release stuff on the playbook it was speculated to be gorilla glass but i believe in the end they canned that and went with something else. Its still glass and still pretty tough, it just doesnt have a shiny name

In terms of the screen i dont see the issue, the viewing angle is fine, to the point you can still see colour at angles near flat to the screen, and i dont see any brightness or resolution problems. Its not as though its a tv screen where 5 people will be watching it, its a tablet which is going to be 2/3 feet from your face 90% of its life

Long story short, whatever name you put on the products, if they work whats the problem
    10-08-11 11:02 AM
    I agree. You can really feel the difference between a plastic screen and glass. And the durability of Gorilla Glass is just amazing. A friend of mine had a bad habit of falling asleep with his Android phone in hand, thereby dropping the phone on the floor almost every night. After a couple of months his phone was all beat up and scratched, but the display was as good as the day he bought it.

And thanks to the tech press and bloggers, people who are into gaddfgets these days know about things like "qhd" "ips screens" "SAMOLED " and ''gorilla glass". They're increasingly becoming selling points.
    I have dropped my iPhone from 6-7 feet in the air straight onto concrete and watched it bounce and roll several times. All I got was a few scratches on the back and a little scratch and dent on the antenna only visible from behind the device. That being said, the iPhone is almost entirely glass and just a metal antenna. The fact that it didn't completely shatter (or come close to it) amazes me. I have seen some disturbing pictures of dropped iPhones as well.

Gorilla Glass works wonders. The only think that really messes it up is Diamond earrings. I have a nice little scratch on my screen because of it, but it's ok because it's only little and it's from the hardest natural material in the world lol.
    Last edited by avt123; 10-08-11 at 11:21 AM.
    10-08-11 11:19 AM
    Everytime I see "Amazon Kindle Fire" I read it as AMAZING Kindle Fire, and I slap myself everytime!!!
    mypb16 likes this.
    10-08-11 11:25 AM
    Everytime I see "Amazon Kindle Fire" I read it as AMAZING Kindle Fire, and I slap myself everytime!!!
    That was pretty funny and I've done that.
    10-08-11 12:32 PM
    lets not kid ourselves. gorilla glass can and does scratch.

i purposely went without a screen protector for my Atrix which has been known to have gorilla glass. at the beach the Atrix screen got two half inch scatches by rattling with my car keys. i was pissed that gorilla glass could scratch. i have always used screen protectors except for this one phone since I knew i wasnt going to keep the Atrix long because it was a stop gap between my iphone 4 and the new iphone 4s.

My friend has the iphone 3gs and his screen is also all scratched up even with gorilla glass But for.some reason my Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant hasnt scratched.

So gorilla glass is hit or miss.
    10-08-11 07:05 PM
    I really don't see the big deal about the PlayBook not having it and the Amazing Kindle Fire having... whoops there I go again... AMAZON Kindle Fire having it. Does it really matter... really?
    10-08-11 08:28 PM
    If the iPhone is Gorilla Glass I would prefer RIM to stay away from it. The amount of iPhone users that have broken screens is astonishing. I've heard from people that said their phone was dropped from 3 or 4 feet and the screen broke.

From what it sounds like Gorilla Glass is just the more known strong glass that's made so everyone thinks its the one to get. I'm sure there are alternatives out there.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-08-11 08:55 PM
    Does the bridge app work on the kindle fire? That has become a prerequisite for any tablet purchase in my home.
    10-08-11 10:38 PM
    Every tablet > every other tablet in some ways
    FF22, howarmat and kbz1960 like this.
    10-08-11 10:46 PM
    Cant you use Gorilla glue to fix Gorilla glass?

Seriously though - how much are you going to be bonking your playbook against stuff and using your car keys on it unless you're a moron?
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 10-08-11 at 10:49 PM.
    10-08-11 10:46 PM
    Cant you use Gorilla glue to fix Gorilla glass?
    Funny coming from a guy who carries his in a Samsonite suitcase...

10-08-11 10:52 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD