Did a quick search and didn't see this posted but...

Went into Staples today to see if I could grab a 16GB for a friend for the $249 deal. Apparently from what i've read of this, it is for US staples stores only.

I was dissapointed to see that the price was reduced from $499 to $399 and that's it. The salesman mentioned they could match other stores. When I mentioned the giftcard deal for another $100 from Future Shop/Bestbuy he checked with the manager. Apparently the manager was privy to a new promotion. He mentioned that they can't match the gift card deal, but as of today the price was already dropped to $299 with no gift card tie in's or any other rebate crap.

Good deal i think! Then the salesmen tells me that you also get $150 worth of BB accessories. So I walked out with a rapid charger, a black gel skin, and a black zip case. All for free! The free items are limited to one of the two quick chargers, one skin and one zip case. You just get to pick the colours etc.

They said this deal was good for one week only so... Thought I would pass it on!
    crunch27 likes this.
    09-28-11 07:07 PM
    This (as much as I'm going to be hated for saying it) sounds like a clearance event.

Rapidly depleting inventory and accessories for current but near end of life products.

(begin hate mail and angry pm's)

max
    09-28-11 07:30 PM
    I'd agree. but it doesn't mean the end of the Playbook necessarily. Staples may want out for their own reasons.

This (as much as I'm going to be hated for saying it) sounds like a clearance event.

Rapidly depleting inventory and accessories for current but near end of life products.

max
    09-28-11 07:33 PM

Equally probable is the pending release of BlackBerry PlayBooks running BBPBOS2.0 but vendors mistakenly think it means a new BlackBerry PlayBook rather than simply an operating environment update. Unless Research In Motion actually intends to announce the end of further BlackBerry PlayBook development at DevCon in October. Given the schizophrenic behaviour of management this year anything is possible.
    09-28-11 09:29 PM
    Given the schizophrenic behaviour of management this year anything is possible.
    Picturing that being said in some random meeting at RIM made me die laughing.

"So Frank, What's on deck for our pre release QNX Field hardware we slated to start testing Q1/12?, That still a go?"

"Well Fred, Given the schizophrenic behaviour of management this year anything is possible"

"God Frank I couldn't have said it better myself, let go do some shots at lunch"

max
    09-28-11 10:08 PM
    Is that 150$ worth of accessories available in all staples?
    09-28-11 10:08 PM
    $299 plus $150 in accessories? I was at Staples today and it was $399 plus $150 accessories. What stores is this at? Cheers.
    09-28-11 10:15 PM
    That is an awesome deal!

So that's almost as if the Playbook was 299 - 150 (from accessories) = 149.

Very nice
    09-28-11 10:26 PM
    Staples sells the Kindle in Canada. After today's announcement, Staples is probably clearing shelf space for Amazon's Kindle Fire.

I'd agree. but it doesn't mean the end of the Playbook necessarily. Staples may want out for their own reasons.
    09-28-11 10:40 PM
    If this makes it to the USA then I'll pick one up for sure.
    09-28-11 11:50 PM
    i would like to know which staples this is at as well. cause ill be downtown 2moro and would like to pick one up
    09-28-11 11:59 PM
    staples wants out because recently JUST recently like last week they started selling the iPad 2. I subscribed to their newsletter and they were promoting it like crazy.. almost like iPad2 came out yesterday... funny they also massed promoted touchpad.... opps?
    09-29-11 12:52 AM
    The actual staples I was at was the South Point (White Rock/South Surrey) location. All Playbooks I have seen in any Staples around the lowermainland have been on their own. Just as they have always been. Kind of sucks as they have a whole tablet area now, and the playbook is left all alone. I was surprised to see at this actual location that the playbook was updated with the newest OS and running the hidef demo while in presentation mode connected to a 24" monitor. Best display i've seen yet.
    09-30-11 02:29 AM
    I went into our local Staples on the way home from work last evening. I asked about price matching the deal at Future Shop.....$299 for 16G - $399 for 32G.
    I ws told they would be happy to match the price ... IF I could suppy their flyer and IF the product was IN STOCK at the time.

I will see today if they mean that as I had purchased a 16G PB online at Futureshop and was waiting as it was out of stock. It is now In Stock and I have printed the receipt. I will take it into Staples today. I will report back the results.
    Last edited by Bisboxer; 09-30-11 at 06:06 AM. Reason: typo
    09-30-11 06:04 AM
    You got lucky. Here is the actual promotion, hardly a deal.

-----------------------------------------
    BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB

FREE PlayBook Travel Charger, Gel Skin and Zip Sleeve! Offer Valid September 28 - October 4, 2011! Available Online and In-stores. While Quantities Last.

Price: $399.00
    ------------------------------------------

Sears is running a better promotion now, $299.99 with the convertible case.
    (In my case, I luck out. Got it for $249.99 without the case)

Wait, you'd rather have the convertible case over the travel charger, gel skin and zip sleeve? I'm not too familiar with these accessories but is the convertible case actually that much better than the three of those?
    09-30-11 10:45 AM

max
    As was said in the OS 2.0 marketing thread, retailers probably need to clear inventory to make way for new Playbook packaging/branding. I doubt we're going to see a new MODEL of the PB (perhaps a 4G model, but same form factor and hardware overall), but they will need to refresh their boxes, posters, in-store display area, etc. when 2.0 is released.

RIM has also said they're not discontinuing the Playbook, so I think the speculation can be put to rest. As for Staples and other retailers, they may be clearing inventory and will wait to see what the new PB brings, media attention, etc. before agreeing to stock it.
    09-30-11 11:22 AM
    Purchased 2 playbooks at Sears Canada

BlackBerry� PlayBook� with leather case or sleeve | Sears Canada

A 16G and a 32G. Took invoice into staples to see if they would price match as I prefer to spend my $$ locally. After keeping me waiting for 15 minutes I was told that they would match the price but no accessories would be included. The Sears deal includes a case which I pointed out to them, but no go.

So back to Sears online and ordered 2 more as Christmas presents. Our family are all BB users so having Playbooks to go with their BB phones will be neat.

Here in my area of Northern Ontario, the best deal I can find is Sears Canada online. I have wanted a playbook for a long time and the price promo was what made me decide to do it now. I have researched these forums and even with the negativity, I decided Playbook would be best for us.
    klc99 likes this.
    10-01-11 06:04 AM
    16 GB 299 + three free accessories !!!
    it is incredible deal !
    I like how playbook makes my hdtv internet connected ! also I can watch movie from playbook on tv and check email at same time !
    10-05-11 10:53 PM
    Hehe.. I got my for $299 +$150 free accessories yestoday. After talking to the customer service to get the free coupon code they fixed their mistake on staple.ca
    10-06-11 12:06 PM
  20. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    wow .. some great deals right now on the Playbook!! ... Paid full price when it was released ... hehe ...

so go for it now!! .. those discounts not likely to last after Playbook 2.0 software release ....IMO! ....
    10-06-11 01:45 PM
    As was said in the OS 2.0 marketing thread, retailers probably need to clear inventory to make way for new Playbook packaging/branding. I doubt we're going to see a new MODEL of the PB (perhaps a 4G model, but same form factor and hardware overall), but they will need to refresh their boxes, posters, in-store display area, etc. when 2.0 is released.

RIM has also said they're not discontinuing the Playbook, so I think the speculation can be put to rest. As for Staples and other retailers, they may be clearing inventory and will wait to see what the new PB brings, media attention, etc. before agreeing to stock it.
    Have they indicated they are going to repackage the PB with the release of 2.0? Seems like a lot of work for something that won't mean much to most consumers.
    10-06-11 01:55 PM
    wow .. some great deals right now on the Playbook!! ... Paid full price when it was released ... hehe ...

so go for it now!! .. those discounts not likely to last after Playbook 2.0 software release ....IMO! ....
    Hey wtfceo, heard there was a refund for first day buyers.
    10-06-11 02:52 PM
    this is exactly what i did. i had staples price the source for 299.99 for the 16gb and then got the free accessories promo with it. quite the deal
    10-06-11 08:00 PM
    this is exactly what i did. i had staples price the source for 299.99 for the 16gb and then got the free accessories promo with it. quite the deal
    I tried at FutureShop and the guy wont match Staples. They had 2 openbox 16gig left. The guy said $20 off take it or leave it. I left.
    10-06-11 08:14 PM
    Hehe.. I got my for $299 +$150 free accessories yestoday. After talking to the customer service to get the free coupon code they fixed their mistake on staple.ca
    I did the same thing yesterday. Ordered it on-line. Just picked it up. $299 + 3 free accessories.
    I was also able to use a $15.00 coupon.
    There was also a PlayBook coupon book packed with the PlayBook that expired May/2011.
    10-06-11 08:19 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD