I have a Griffin PowerBlock dual USB output that I was using to charge my 9700. Each output is rated at 5V/1000mA. My 9810 will not charge using either port or any cable that I try. I keep getting the "Charging source cannot charge device" screen. I have successfully charged my 9810 using charges with lower output ratings (700 and 750 mA). Any one else have this problem or have any idea what the problem is?

Thanks,

Josh
    09-26-11 07:16 AM
    I've got the same problem on .353.

It just all of a sudden won't charge at all - no matter what I connect it to, it won;t charge and complains that the charging source can't charge the phone.

A reboot solves the problem.
    09-26-11 10:18 AM
    I have rebooted multiple times and this has not solved the problem. Seems that all of my multi USB port chargers (wall plug in and cigarette lighter adapter) that charge at 1000 mA don't work, but my travel charger that has a USB adapter and charges at 750mA works fine. Blackberry seems to have limited the amount of juice that the phone can take for some reason, making my "Universal" USB travel chargers completely worthless. Very sneaky, RIM!!!
    09-26-11 01:55 PM
    I am having the same problem with the charger that came with my 9810. It keeps telling me that the charging source can't charge the phone.

It only started doing this after I updated to .353. I am about to downgrade now and see if the problem still happens.

Will let you all know what happens.
    09-26-11 09:24 PM
    I also have the same problem after upgarding to .353. As pauliVA said after reboot it solved the problem
    09-26-11 10:44 PM
    I've been running .353 since it leaked(or was it when I got it? Not sure as both were close and it was a few weeks ago). Anyways, after quite a few weeks now I have 0 issues with charging. The only thing I use to charge the device is the desktop charging pod that I had for my 9800.

Don't think your guys issues are with the OS, not sure what it is, but don't think its the OS version.
    09-27-11 06:13 AM
    Interesting. This happened to me yesterday, but since I'd been issued a new computer I'd assumed I'd plugged into a wrong port. I received the "cannot charge from the USB" error message and immediately my screen went black.
    I changed to my spare battery thinking I'd drained my battery already. Then I thought no, I had 38% left. So went back to my original battery and the device turned on, I plugged it in again, and it was all fine.
    I attributed the whole thing to moving offices and a PC refresh. I'll check again today.
    09-27-11 06:16 AM
    I have a charger (an older 5v Motorola) that had always worked fine with my old 9000 and then always worked fine again (by attaching a mini to micro USB dongle) with my old 9800. With the 9810, though, it often doesn't charge. Instead, the battery meter shows the full-charge plug icon instead of the pulsing lightning bolt (even though it's not charged) and the charging source message sometimes pops up, though not always, even when it's clearly not charging. Then sometimes it charges just fine.
    09-27-11 07:49 AM
    I went back to the original OS and now my phone is charging as before I upgraded to .353.

I assure you it wasn't the charger because I bougt a brand new charger from the AT&T store before I went back to the original OS just to make sure it wasn't the other 2 chargers I had.
    09-28-11 10:14 PM
    Hi everybody, I don't know if this resolution has been published in other threads...

The synptoms are

Blackberry 9810 is not charging from USB sources such as external battery packs like Proporta Turbocharger and such
    Blackberry charges normally from USB PC ports, and from some other battery packs.

The problem is not current related. It seems that "charger only" devices provide informations about their "nature" to the 9810, some battery packs being the exception.

When you plug the 9810 to a device unable to charge, you'll see it "waiting" for a few seconds before showing the "not suitable to charge" warning. That's because the 9810 is "waiting" to "see" something on the data wires.

I tried this - it worked for me and it's safe as my device is still working perfectly for data connections /sync)

Any USB cable is made up of 4 connections: V+ and V- which are the outer pins on the USB connector, and D+ D-
    Color are usually black/red for power, and white/green for data.

The solution is to simply short the data pins connecting to the Blackberry - insulate them on the battery pack side.

You may easily do this by getting a USB extension cable - you probably have a few hanging around, maybe even USB1.0. Cut the cable, then connect the data (whit/green) wires going on the female socket side, and insulate them on the male side (you'll plug this into the charger/battery pack). Solder or otherwise make a reliable connection for the red/black wires; use heat shrink or insulating tape to keep all this toghether.
    Then you'll have
    BATTERYPACK---->EXTENSION CABLE---->USB TO MICRO USB CABLE--->9810

You may then discover that the "magic" extension cable also allows you to charge devices notoriously reluctant to accept charges from battery packs, like Creative MP3 players and others.

Let mw know if this is also ok for you.
    08-01-12 01:00 PM
    That's interesting, I'm running os 7.1.0.378. And from time to time, it would give me said problems, never thought about splicing the data wires together on the device side, another way to do this is to use a razor blade ans carefully slice the cable down the middle, don't go to deep that you will hit the wires. The just peel the outer jacket back to exposed inner wires, cut data wires and make splice on device side and safe off pair on charger side, then you never have to cut the power wires, keeping them intact assures more power gets through during charging. I don't know if any one else tried it, I read using a lower ma charger will help batt life with a slow charge, be great for over night when you sleep.
    08-01-12 01:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD