I have to give them a poor grade overall. If not for CB, I would know next to nothing about the new Bold or Torch, let alone 7. Advertising is complex today and certainly viral can be as important as more traditional means.
    But I just finished reviewing web, Sunday papers, my exposure to TV-radio, visits to carrier stores, and other outlets. The verdict -- BB is almost invisible. Either their own advertising or shared with carriers - almost nonexistent.
    09-25-11 04:29 PM
    Yep No advertising form any of the carriers. So sad.
    So I'd give them including RIM an F.
    09-25-11 04:35 PM
    UK seems to be fairing quite well tbh.... lots of coverage.... especially during the Rugby World Cup over in New Zealand.
    09-25-11 04:38 PM
    1. agree 2. they need to reach consumers. identify a need that they fill which others don't (security and privacy PLUS all kinds of flashy goodness) and show how they fill it. educate ie via pcworld articles, ads on the ziff davis security center pages, cnet, digital podcasters videos, everywhere they can. blanket the info. recent security discussions centered on charging smart phones on-go in public kiosks and leaking info. BB has separate from phone spare-battery chargers, folks. on and on. 3. all out push to educate sales people in retail: in radio shack near me, there isn't a salesperson (all under 30ish) who has ever actually used or wanted anything but iphone or android. i asked every single one of them. so when walk in, hear, "i don't know anyone who uses it, let me sell you what i use, it's awesome." not useful for Seniors want simple phone/ or BB potential customers... Appalling that salespeople on floor know only about personal experience walked into job with. sales training/ knowledge of all products in lineup -- NOT. Ditto in Best Buy. up to rim to motivate consumer sales sites to train staff in pros of BB. not saying its for everyone, but salespeople need to know enough about it to appreciate its merits, mention it when appropriate, & not to discount it when asked for. w/ proper training, should be able to figure out who is candidate for BB vs others.
    Last edited by cherimoya; 09-25-11 at 04:53 PM.
    09-25-11 04:47 PM
    left out another category - very low or no shelfspace/display in carrier stores. harder to buy what you can't see.
    09-25-11 05:04 PM
    You have to start with an "F" for RIM and include the carriers for not backing them or like many companies do... Use a forn of advertising pool in their area so that it is a national commercial and on the bottom shows the carriers in your region that has the devices so same grade for the carriers High level management and marketing depts for not getting involved and pushing RIM.
    09-25-11 05:13 PM
    Rims marketing is horrible in my opinion. They need to get the word out there soon or sales will drop off more.
    09-25-11 05:20 PM
    What advertising? i have not seen any BlackBerry ad since Old Blue. even the newest movie, RV, featured a rather obsolete BlackBerry

BlackBerries dominate our Best Buy though, but their prices stink! ($600 for a Curve 8530 you GOT to be joking! i paid $100 for mine at Wal Mart!)

with prices like those, it is not surprising they have become the BOSE of Smartphones
    Last edited by nickdalzell1; 09-25-11 at 09:06 PM.
    09-25-11 09:04 PM
    BlackBerry needs to really consider more product placement and more TV ads - that's really how you catch customers.
    09-25-11 09:14 PM
    every day people are bombarded by the "if you dont have an i phone" ad, its no wonder the apple stores are jam packed even during an economic down time. Rim has an F in marketing right now. they need to start hiring people that can put their degrees to good use.
    09-25-11 09:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD