Hi all,

I added a contact in my Blackberry Bold called ICE (in case of emergency) and added 6 phone numbers to it. Then every time I texted or called one of those numbers which were also listed as separate contacts (wife, dad, son, etc.), the person was always listed as ICE rather than by their names. So I deleted the ICE contact but it's still showing up whenever I dial one of those numbers. How can I get rid of it once and for all?

Thanks,
    Mike
    09-24-11 09:48 AM
    Hi all,

I added a contact in my Blackberry Bold called ICE (in case of emergency) and added 6 phone numbers to it. Then every time I texted or called one of those numbers which were also listed as separate contacts (wife, dad, son, etc.), the person was always listed as ICE rather than by their names. So I deleted the ICE contact but it's still showing up whenever I dial one of those numbers. How can I get rid of it once and for all?

Thanks,
    Mike
    If you deleted the entire entry called ICE I don't understand what you mean it still shows up?? Where?? when you dial one of the numbers. Sounds like you might have missed one.

By the way there is a free program in App World called I.C.E. that you might want to look into that lets you put it people but also mediacal and insurance info and much more, Not the best app i have ever seen but it works good and I use it, Has never given me any trouble.
    09-24-11 05:43 PM
    I unfortuantely have the same problem. I've just lived with it.
    09-24-11 06:10 PM
    Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I mean that after deleting the ICE as a contact, whenever I attempted to text/email someone who had been on the ICE contact list their text/email was labeled ICE rather than their name.

But with that said, I think I've solved it. Apparently because some texts had been "saved" in another location, once I deleted those saved texts it seems to have solved the problem.

However, now I'm not sure how to include an ICE contact in my phone without a repeat of the same problem. I tried only putting the names/phone numbers into the "notes" section of the contact but that didn't solve it. I'll check into the app you mentioned.

Thanks,
    Mike
    09-26-11 11:49 AM
    I.C.E. entires in your phone aren't really necessary these days. Its pretty easy just to look at your recently dialed call list and find your wife. Or call the entry labelled "Mom and Dad".
    09-26-11 01:27 PM
    Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I mean that after deleting the ICE as a contact, whenever I attempted to text/email someone who had been on the ICE contact list their text/email was labeled ICE rather than their name.

But with that said, I think I've solved it. Apparently because some texts had been "saved" in another location, once I deleted those saved texts it seems to have solved the problem.

However, now I'm not sure how to include an ICE contact in my phone without a repeat of the same problem. I tried only putting the names/phone numbers into the "notes" section of the contact but that didn't solve it. I'll check into the app you mentioned.

Thanks,
    Mike
    You would want the entry to be the lat in your contact list do the phone can find the individual entries first. name ICE as ZZZ_ICE and all will be fine.
    09-26-11 01:46 PM
    there are posts on these forums stating that jaredco isn't the best co from a privacy viewpoint. reason i mention is they make an ice app; - i found jaredco entries in my device memory as warned about & uninstalled entries. link to this was in a discussion on permissions to allow apps to use.

dont use an ice app myself, but steer clear of jaredco based on those posts.
    09-26-11 05:16 PM
    Put the phone numbers and names in the NOTES field in the ICE contact and they won't be read that way by the device.
    09-26-11 05:25 PM
    ive been having issues with my phone about ICE too, every time i get a phone call or make one it always prompts me to create one even though i already have 2 in my phone... the might have to fix this problem
    11-03-11 10:56 PM
    FTR most cops/firemen/paramedics I know say ICE is a waste of time. They're not gonna let you lay on the side of the road bleeding while they look for your cell phone after a wreck or let you bleed out in your living room if you get stabbed or something. If you're in a wreck, their first act is get you out of the car and to the hospital. 90% of the time, it's the tow truck drivers or scene reconstruction people who find your cell phone and by that time it's a few hours later and you're already at the hospital. Not to mention, how many of us password lock our phones? I do.

But if you have to have ICE, make a wallpaper with your ICE contacts on it and save it as your homescreen. WPs can be made in MS Paint or online right here. My sister has taken a BB WP, uploaded it to PicNik and put her husband's contact information on the WP and saved it.

Example WP would look like this:

Last edited by ColdSunshine; 11-04-11 at 09:10 AM.
    11-04-11 09:03 AM
    but its not just first person on scene who use ice contacts, when the person arrives at hospital and we have no contact details a phone might be checked

but like someone has said avoid using a separate contact and just add ICE to there name (and a number if you want more than one ICE contact so they know the order of priority you want them to be called) as most modern phones allow you to search all names with ICE in it so can be anywhere in the name

also the use of ICE is also ideal for two other reason one is if the person doesn't speak to there parents regularly (or has stopped speaking to there parents) and 2 if a crew/medical team are attending a patient and there phone rings and its the ICE contact it might be worth answering the phone (or if the patient says a name which can't be heard properly it could be an ice contact making it easier to find details
    11-04-11 11:29 AM
    but its not just first person on scene who use ice contacts, when the person arrives at hospital and we have no contact details a phone might be checked
    It could be hours before someone has time to break away and check someone's phone for ICE. I dispatched for over 7 years and trained to become a cop but I never did. ICE was the last thing on anyone's mind at an emergency. Now that I'm in the medical field, I can tell you that when a trauma rolls in, the last thing we're looking for is your cell phone and the last thing we're gonna do is try to figure out who your ICE is and call while you bleed out and die. Even if you do ICE it and even if a staff member of the ED does call, they'll usually look at your recent call list and call the last person you called or look for someone like Mom or Dad or someone with the same last name as you and call them.

also the use of ICE is also ideal for two other reason one is if the person doesn't speak to there parents regularly (or has stopped speaking to there parents) and 2 if a crew/medical team are attending a patient and there phone rings and its the ICE contact it might be worth answering the phone (or if the patient says a name which can't be heard properly it could be an ice contact making it easier to find details
    You really don't have an understanding about how emergencies work do you?

A paramedic is NOT going to stop treating you to search your pockets to answer your phone. They are on scene to tend to your medical needs, not answer your phone. If you want a paramedic to stop treating you to answer your phone, that's fine. I don't. I want to be treated and taken to the hospital ASAP. They can worry about who to call later on. Aside from which, the police dept I dispatched for didn't use cell phones. We ran license plates and an officer drove to the house where the car was registered and knocked. If they weren't home, the cop asked the neighbors. I can count on one hand the number of times in 7 years when a cop actually found a victim's cell phone and looked up numbers. Even more than that, they looked for a victim's purse or wallet to get out ID before they searched for phones.

ICE probably won't show up as contact when it rings anyway. I did ICE my phone for a bit but deleted it. If your ICE is your dad and you've got him listed as ICE and Dad, Dad will be the one to show up because it's first in the alphabet.

I had a duplicate contact in my phone saved as Summer Ave Clinic as well as After Hours Vet Clinic. Same phone number. When I dialed Summer Ave Clinic, it showed up as After Hours Vet Clinic on my screen.
    Last edited by ColdSunshine; 11-04-11 at 12:47 PM.
    11-04-11 12:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD