Playbook shows as 399$ but when added to your cart the price goes down to 299$ because they are giving a 100$ gift card with the purchase but when bought online you get the discount instead of the gift card.
    Thebigo3d, robtanz and crunch27 like this.
    09-23-11 07:17 AM
    Nice. I just bought one for my wife.
    Last edited by robtanz; 09-23-11 at 08:06 AM.
    09-23-11 07:49 AM
    I just checked and it seems to be $299 and it even looks like you still get the $299 if you select to pick up at the store, though I didn't go all the way through the purchase process to confirm the store pickup.

For the Americans here that may not know, Future Shop is a BestBuy division. In addition, in Canada sales taxes are collected on mail order items as well, so whether you pick it up at the store or buy online, you still get charged sales tax.
    09-23-11 08:20 AM
    Thanks! I looked earlier and said it 399, but that is stil too much. 299 is perfect, just bought one

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-23-11 08:21 AM
    Can we still get the $100 back from RIM in addition to this?
    09-23-11 08:45 AM
    No RIM's back at school deal expired yesterday.
    09-23-11 08:48 AM
    OUCH! That would mean that they're taking quite the financial hit...
    According to isuppli the Playbook has a Build of Materials of 271$ Add to that the costs of manufacturing, distribution, and a profit for the retailer, that would mean they're losing 30-50 bucks on each Playbook sold at that price. Still better than a warehouse full of unsold units, but pretty desperate nonetheless...

And the worst part is, that I don't think it'll be a success. There are already tablets available at 300$ in Future Shops and Best Buys, and not just noname tabs running old versions of Android, so it's not a great deal like with the Touchpad.

Most of the people who were interested in getting one, allready got one, and the salespeople will probably do a bang up job at steering people interested in a 300$ Playbook over towards Android tablets or iPad1's at a similar price.
    (From my experience, the main reason why they tell people not to get a Playbook, is because of returns. And if the returns are caused by customer dissatisfaction, a mere pricecut won't change that.)

But we'll see...
    09-23-11 09:53 AM
    According to isuppli the Playbook has a Build of Materials of 271$ Add to that the costs of manufacturing, distribution, and a profit for the retailer, that would mean they're losing 30-50 bucks on each Playbook sold at that price. Still better than a warehouse full of unsold units, but pretty desperate nonetheless...

And the worst part is, that I don't think it'll be a success. There are already tablets available at 300$ in Future Shops and Best Buys, and not just noname tabs running old versions of Android, so it's not a great deal like with the Touchpad.

Most of the people who were interested in getting one, allready got one, and the salespeople will probably do a bang up job at steering people interested in a 300$ Playbook over towards Android tablets or iPad1's at a similar price.
    (From my experience, the main reason why they tell people not to get a Playbook, is because of returns. And if the returns are caused by customer dissatisfaction, a mere pricecut won't change that.)

But we'll see...
    I actually know a number of people who were waiting for a price drop to buy.
    09-23-11 09:58 AM
    Smart people... A lot of the usual "naysayers" and "rumourmongers" have predicted a major pricecut for a while now.
    09-23-11 10:05 AM

But we'll see...
    Nah, everything is going great....
    lma13 likes this.
    09-23-11 10:05 AM
    Playbook shows as 399$ but when added to your cart the price goes down to 299$ because they are giving a 100$ gift card with the purchase but when bought online you get the discount instead of the gift card.
    Thanks for the heads up! I just bought (online) the 32Gb PB for $599 - $100 - $100 = $399 + Tax.

My wife can keep "our" original 32Gb PB; now I have my own.
    09-23-11 12:08 PM
    Just bought the replacement for the one I lost...
    09-23-11 12:58 PM
    As long as RIM is at least breaking even...discounting the PB should be fine.

I think the ultimate goal is to sell more hardware PERIOD so that it can attract a larger developer base for apps.
    09-23-11 03:05 PM
    Just came out of a Future Shop store in Mtl.
    No more 32g left (what I was looking for).One 64g left and a few
    16g. Was told that they sold 24 today. Not bad.

Staples should be matching the BB and Future Shop prices
    any time now. Pretty good deals.
    09-23-11 07:41 PM
    Well I picked my Playbook 64 GB from Futureshop today. I purchased online and got the Playbook for $499.00. When I went to the store to pick up the Playbook I received a $100.00 gift card as well.
    robtanz likes this.
    09-23-11 09:28 PM
    Well I picked my Playbook 64 GB from Futureshop today. I purchased online and got the Playbook for $499.00. When I went to the store to pick up the Playbook I received a $100.00 gift card as well.
    Nice. Sticking it to the man....
    09-23-11 10:19 PM
    Yep, seems the Best Buy (Canada) pricing has reverted back to the CAD 399.99 so I decided to buy from FutureShop instead. While not a fan of FutureShop, the fact the Best Buy pricing changed from CAD 299.99 to CAD 399.99 I am taking a walk on the dark side of the street. Ha! Ha! Now waiting for my callback to pick-up the tablet. I am planning to install my existing BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB in my car and use the BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB with my Seagate GoFlex Satellite 500GB WiFi-enabled storage device for professional purposes.
    09-25-11 10:01 AM
    I just bought another Playbook for my girl from Future and they wouldn't let me apply the $100 to the Playbook? What possibly could be the difference if I use it to buy something else or use it right away? Anyone else have this problem or have suggestions how I can get my $100 back opposed to a gift card that I don't want or need. I am thinking to return it and wait or see if I can get one cheaper elsewhere - $299 or even $249 straight up.
    09-27-11 08:23 PM
    Well, I visited a different Futureshop (Eg and Laird) and they took back the gift card and credited me back the $100 so I got the unit for $299 and I also got another $50 off because I was at Staples grabbing some paper and they were sweetening their Playbook sale by throwing in $150 in Playbook accessories and Futureshop matched it. So Playbook cost me $249 i+ tax = $281.37

Staples just added the accessory perk today until Sunday and it's in store only, so do whatcha need to for additional savings.

Good luck!
    Last edited by gwanstarr; 09-28-11 at 09:19 PM.
    09-28-11 09:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD