Ok so I posted a week or so back that the latest final testing schedule for the bold pushed to end of October and while the end date hasn't changed (yet) an interesting thing happened today that may give some of you US customers hope.

We received what is being called (pushed, forced, whatever) the final SW release candidate (4.6.0.134) and asked to finsh the testing by 9/9. We were also told that the device acceptance date had not changed (from late October) but they wanted to get this final SW RC tested in anticipation of accelerating that schedule.

So what date are they shooting for? Anyone's guess now, the sales teams still don't know anything solid, and the only item we on the network side had was the schedule for test and acceptance and that appears to be fluid now as well.

I can tell you that I will be glad when it finally comes out then I can get rid of all the people at work that cling to me with BOLD ENVY!!!!

As usual I tell you what I know.....
    08-25-08 10:45 PM
    im still not so sure i believe its coming in september.

does anyone know how long the curve site was up saying it will be release soon ?and the time from that it was acually released ?? i was thinking maybe its the same time frame of the bold bieng released so when was the bold site put up on att ?

? just thinking outside the box ?
    08-25-08 10:49 PM
    Ok so I posted a week or so back that the latest final testing schedule for the bold pushed to end of October and while the end date hasn't changed (yet) an interesting thing happened today that may give some of you US customers hope.

We received what is being called (pushed, forced, whatever) the final SW release candidate (4.6.0.134) and asked to finsh the testing by 9/9. We were also told that the device acceptance date had not changed (from late October) but they wanted to get this final SW RC tested in anticipation of accelerating that schedule.

So what date are they shooting for? Anyone's guess now, the sales teams still don't know anything solid, and the only item we on the network side had was the schedule for test and acceptance and that appears to be fluid now as well.

I can tell you that I will be glad when it finally comes out then I can get rid of all the people at work that cling to me with BOLD ENVY!!!!

Thanks PG!!! 9/9 eh? Gives me some hope!!!
    08-25-08 10:57 PM
    im still not so sure i believe its coming in september.

does anyone know how long the curve site was up saying it will be release soon ?and the time from that it was acually released ?? i was thinking maybe its the same time frame of the bold bieng released so when was the bold site put up on att ?

? just thinking outside the box ?
    Just follow the updates that PG gives us from time to time. PG is a very reliable source!
    08-25-08 10:59 PM
    o ok sry im new to this lol
    08-25-08 11:02 PM
    sounds like AT&T are trying to do what they can to get this out the door without too much compromise (if any) to stability/quality.

Thanks for the good news. Based on your experience with the most recent software build, do you think the problems with 3G connectivity have been solved?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-08 12:02 AM
    Well given the fact that they failed miserably at launching the iPhone 3G (in terms of customer satisfaction/usage) AT&T is in no position to screw up 2 highly anticipated phones by rushing them out only to have them encounter signal problems. For those waiting for the Bold, I know it's been a long wait, but look at it this way, you'll get a solid device when it's released even if you had to wait a month or two after other carriers had them.
    08-26-08 12:21 AM
    Well if it doesnt come out till October i dont have a choice but to wait and my contract was up at the beginning of this month and i remember last time i was waiting on a phone and i bought something else but not thi time..im a wait till it comes out.
    08-26-08 01:25 AM
    Thank you PG any news coming from you is a relief from all this speculation. I'd rather hear bad news from you than speculation from others. At least we know that there's progress. Any initial thoughts about the new OS? Did they finally nail the 3G so it favors HSPDA over EDGE? I'm just curious to know if it was a network issue or a software issue because either the at&t network is unwilling to cooperate or everyone is right about both the bold and iPhone suffering from the same 3Gitis.

08-26-08 09:16 AM
    If OS 4.6.0.134 is indeed the final release candidate, once AT&T receive all their testers reports (as PG says, on 9/9) I would assume that they will then eveluate these and then either declare that as 'gold', or else possibly make further modifications to yet another version.

This would then (again I assume) then have to be 'loaded' onto all their Bold stock, before it can be distributed... unless of course they will leave it up to the 'end users' to apply the update themselves, but by the way they have acted so far, I wouldn't think that this is very likely!

Based on this, the launch still looks like being several weeks away... unfortunately!

Edit: Sorry... I forgot to thank 'phonegeek' for his latest update.
    Last edited by Montala; 08-26-08 at 11:24 AM.
    08-26-08 09:35 AM
    Sounds good! Hope a carrier decides to release .134 so those of us with Bolds can update!!!

08-26-08 09:49 AM
    i just switched to att on aug 22nd and bought the curve. i couldnt wait any longer for the bold especially with all the pushing back of the release date. im a bb fanatic and the rep said he would extend the 30 day window to 40 days so i really hope the bold comes out by oct 1, if not, the curve is still great.
    08-26-08 10:09 AM
    Thanks for the update PG. I anxiously wait for you reviews of the new OS.
    08-26-08 10:09 AM
    I wouldn't mind getting an older version soon and doing an OTA update I mean what else is the service for. Send people one of those mass texts I get from at&t (usually telling me to try telenav) with instructions on how to OTA upgrade. Its easy as pie anyways. Options > Advanced Options > Wireless Upgrade. Doubt you could really get lost doing that. But alas they would never do that.

08-26-08 10:11 AM
    Phonegeek - thanks for the update. As always, your posts are very much appreciated. I have read a lot of posts here bashing AT&T and RIM for not coming out with the Bold sooner, but I attribute that to Bold envy - something that I suffer from as well. We in the US should be greatfull that our vendor of choice is doing its due dilligence in testing the Bold prior to its official release. We should all realize the leading edge of technology is also the bleeding edge of technology. Not only does AT&T not want a repeat of all of the problems associated with the flawed release of the iPhone 3G (the cost to AT&T for extra Customer Service support for iPhone 3G tech problems & returns must be staggering) but RIM doesn't want that either. We should be aware that all that was promised by RIM was that it would be released sometime in the summer, and the last I checked my calendar, they have met their committments by releasing to various countries and Canada - albeit with a slight black eye. I view the release of the Bold to various countries as additional field testing to confirm what the AT&T testers were reporting. If they had released to the US market (their largest market) with all of the problems reported by various world wide users and AT&T testers like phonegeek, they would have been battered and bruised by the worldwide press and their stock would have taken a large hit. If the latest release of the software is accepted by AT&T, then RIM can still meet their US expectations/committments by announcing the release of the Bold before the official end of summer. We will all go into our AT&T stores soon enough, plop down our cash, and walk away with a brand new Bold of our own, and be pretty darn happy with ourselves. Thanks phonegeek for all of your efforts, and to everyone else ... Patience .... patience ... patience ...
    08-26-08 11:01 AM
    thanks for the updating us PG, you give us outsiders who have no information something believable! 100% better than that sales rep that doesn't know anything!
    08-26-08 11:32 AM
    Just out of curiosity, how many testers are there usually? 20? 100? thousands?

And thanks phonegeek!
    08-26-08 06:21 PM
    Thanks for the update PG. Hope springs eternal or however that saying goes.
    08-26-08 06:35 PM
    PG - I'll join the "thank you!" chorus. (I may be new here, but I am already acquainted with your knowledgeable posts.) Happy to hear that there's some progress with solving Bold issues.
    08-26-08 07:05 PM
    ... if it is just coincidence or not that the Bold accessories on blackberry.com are available on 9/10. Hmmmmmm.

Just trying to make it all make sense. My poor little curve is tired & is looking forward to a quiet retired life!!
    08-26-08 08:30 PM
    ... if it is just coincidence or not that the Bold accessories on blackberry.com are available on 9/10. Hmmmmmm.

Just trying to make it all make sense. My poor little curve is tired & is looking forward to a quiet retired life!!
    As we all know the Bold is out in Canada already and the accessories are also not available there till 9/10 (if you check the Canadian site)...I don't think there's any coincidence.
    08-26-08 08:53 PM
    Hey phonegeek thanks for keeping us in the loop yet again. Can you do me a huge favor, when you get the Bold with the final OS on it can u keep a close eye on the file free memory for me and keep me posted. I don't know if you saw or not but a lot of members with Bold are having severe low memory issues. This concerns me because the Bold is supposed to have 128 mb of free useable flash memory which is double what my curve has and I'm in the 40's where some are as low as single digits with their Bolds. I'm hoping this is a software issue and not an issue with the Bold itself, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed regardless. Do you think it was just a severe memory loss on the phones or just a major OS issue? I sure hope so. Nontheless, they aren't using AT&T branded Bolds obviously and that's not there only issue at hand. Hopefully this will all get resolved by the release In October/November because if It does I will be jumping ship over to AT&T and adding a line to my girlfriends plan and getting my Bold Thank you in advance phonegeek! Please keep in touch when you do happen to get the device to test it out

08-26-08 08:55 PM
    No coincidence with the dates whatsoever. Its been like that for months

08-26-08 09:07 PM
    Thanks for the update PhoneGeek. The date is at least in the near future FINALLY!
    08-26-08 09:16 PM

Thanks for the update.
    08-26-08 09:18 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD